C64 kb not working - Keyrah v3 + Rasp Pi 3B + BMC64

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello,

I just bought a Keyrah v3. I plugged a C64 keyboard to it, then connected the Keyrah to a Raspberry Pi 3B running BMC64. The C64 LED flashes then stays on as BMC64 boots up to the READY prompt. But nothing happens when I type though.

If I plug the keyrah to a PC running VICE 3.7, the C64 kb works.

If I plug a traditional PC kb to the Raspberry with BMC64, the keyboard works as well.

But the combo Keyrah v3 + Rasp Pi 3B + BMC64 refuses to work.

What could be the cause?

Thanks

• A power issue perhaps? I'd rule that out first by booting some linux distribution on the raspi, and then check if it works with it. If it does not, then it is very likely a power problem.

Another problem could be that, since BMC64 is "barebones" (not running any OS) the problem might also be that it simply does not support the type of combined USB device that the keyrah implements? Does it support USB hubs? You'll have to ask the programmer :)

Edit: Just had a brief look at the BMC64 readme on github. I'd say that for it to work, you will have to select a regular USB keyboard and Gamepads. Do NOT select the existing "keyrah" config. Chances are however, that it will still require specific support in BMC64, due to how Keyrah V3 works.

• Thanks for the swift reply. I have a 5V 3.6A power supply (not a phone charger). I had first tried Raspberry Pi OS + VICE 3.7 but it's a pain to install, and the emulator was laggy and stuttering and unusable, but I managed to get some characters from the C64 kb (a bit erratic however).

In BMC64, I have selected "positional" which should be fine for both Keyrah and plain old USB kb.

> Chances are however, that it will still require specific support in BMC64, due to how Keyrah V3 works.

I can contact the authors. Any data sheet or Keyrah v3 specifics they should be aware of?

• Keyrah V3 implements a "HID device with multiple interfaces" (2 Keyboards, 2 Game controllers, 1 Multimedia Control, 1 ACPI Power Control) - so that is what BMC64 needs to support. If it can't deal with 2 Keyboards, it should probably ignore the second one (which will be used for n-key rollover, ie when you press many keys at the same time)

• Keyrah V3 implements a "HID device with multiple interfaces" (2 Keyboards, 2 Game controllers, 1 Multimedia Control, 1 ACPI Power Control) - so that is what BMC64 needs to support.

Looks like it is nothing trivial to implement... In the meantime I've connected the Keyrah v3 to a beefy PC and enjoy the C64 keyboard and joystick. Nice and convenient piece of hardware.

• Hi!

For original BMC64 and Keyboard C64 look at my works!!!

(link removed - has nothing to do with iComp's products)

works 100%

;)

Edited once, last by Jens: Please make sure that articles in this forum do help other iComp customers. ().

• The "original" part is debatable, as the first Keyrah unit was released in 2006 (development started in Fall of 2005), well before any single-board computer has seen the light of day. I'm pretty sure that iComp can claim the "first release" of a C64 keyboard to USB adapter.

Jens

• I thought I was going to find my answer in this post, but it abruptly ended, with no answer.

So, Does Keyrah V3 work with BMC64 and C64 keyboard? I just got my new V3 and can not get the C64 keyboard to work with BMC64 and a Pi 3B+. I can plug it into a PC and it works fine., but not plugged into a Pi. And I know that my dead V2 worked with BMC64.

Thanks Clint

• Short answer is: no - The details are in the github issue linked in post #5

The problem is that this "circle" library, which BMC64 uses, does not support "HID device with multiple interfaces" (And you'll probably get the same problems with any other device that does this - eg keyboards with n-key rollover)

(Note that it is NOT a problem of the Raspi per se - it will work in Linux based projects)