Flash update fried my ACA500plus !!!

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi !

I had an ACA500plus, wich I tried to update... so I unpacked the 0.146 menu (from there: http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/ACA500plus_Firmware) to the root of a CF card.
    I launched the Flash Update process (F8 and F), then everything went black with a strange "low" noise (like a slow spinning fan), and a burnt smell.

Now, if I plug the ACA500plus, my Amiga won't boot: no leds, nothing... still this strange noise, but nothing else !
    If I unplug the ACA500plus, then my Amiga starts...
    So I assume flashing the ACA simply destroyed it !!!

Great...

:thumbdown:

• Looks like you've tried to flash while overclocking, or you have an unsuitable power supply.

Luckily, the ACA500plus lets you recover from bad flash attempts: Connect the card, power on, press and hold the DisMo button until you see the "0" and a blinking bar (like a cursor). Now execute a keyboard reset: This will launch the computer, and you can boot from a floppy. The update file is also usable as a floppy image, so must write to a floppy (or use a Gotek drive) and boot from the disk. It will re-write the flash and bring your ACA500plus back to a working state.

Jens

• Hi Jens,

Thank you for the answer !
    Actually, it could have been useful !
    But it turned out to be another issue I hadn't noticed at first: when I inserted the CF card containing the firmware into the AUX slot, 2 pins were bent and caused a kind of short cut or something as they were touching each other...
    I put the pins straight again, and the ACA miraculously went back to life...

• 2 pins were bent and caused a kind of short cut or something as they were touching each other...

This usually leads to a short (damaging he power circuit), or a broken-off pin.

I put the pins straight again, and the ACA miraculously went back to life...

Lucky you - the pins of the CF slots are really brittle and break off easily.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.