Blurry image quality through VGA output...

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello,
    I would like to ask users of Turbo Chameleon V2 about VGA output picture quality.
    Did You notice, that it is blurred and little out of focus?
    Also colors are bland.
    It looks almost like someone put some kind of blur filter on it.
    Changing VGA settings in Chameleon's menu doesn't help with this issue.
    Anyone help, please?

• VGA output is intentionally not as sharp as from a PC. Remember this is a retro computer product, and it's on a real machine, aiming to replicate the original feeling as close as possible. So yes, there is indeed a filter in the circuit, which needs to stay in place because it's part of the CE testing documentation. If you make changes, the CE declaration for the product will be void.

The image is already significantly sharper than on, say, a 1702 monitor. However, you should observe differences if you shoose a lower output resolution with a lower refresh rate: The lower the pixel clock, the less blurry the picture will look.

• Well,
    for my personal preferences the picture is insufficiently sharp, it is blurry and colors are little faded.
    So, can I get rid of this VGA filter somehow?
    I don't need any warranty, declarations etc.
    Just want to have such clear and nice picture as I have from my other sources, like PC or Raspberry Pi emulators etc.
    P.S. I made it as lower as I could go: 640x480 50Hz VGA mode. Higher resolutions are completly not acceptable visually. :(

• So, can I get rid of this VGA filter somehow?

You can of course do modifications to the output stage, but you'll lose warranty, and our CE declaration won't apply any more (legally, you become the vendor of the unit).

• Or maybe You could make proper code modifications and send me fixed .rbf file?
    This would be the easiest method for me.
    Thank You.

• Ok,
    so I will do it by myself, but I just need to know how to do it.
    Could You help me with this?
    Any leads / tips?
    I will pay extra of course.
    Thank You.

• I find the slight blur ftting with 768x576@50Hz or lower. I particulary like the warm fuzzy colour palette they picked for PAL.

My only issue is ghosting. The slight blur is caused by the filters and that cause ghosting. So in certain games that uses certain colours you can see several ghost shadows to the right of objects.

But all in all the slight blur grew on me and it's quite fitting for something like this. It gives this warm and fuzzy retro feeling together with the warm colour palette. I have two TC64 V2s. And yes, it will beat anything that comes from the native video out. Even S-video. TC64 gives much better picture. Except for some ghosting of course.

With other cores you can select 15KHz mode. Which removes alot of the ghosting, but not completely. Getting a 15KHz mode for the C64 core would be a nice option. I even have modern LCD screens that can handle 15KHz.

Honestly, I don't know if it would be worth the risk trying to solder on these units to change the VGA output circuitry. This is very fine soldering with very small components. I have soldered about 5 A500 ++ replica boards and recapped A600s and A1200s. But working on the TC64 is something different. I don't know if I would risk it. Also, comparing to my The C64 (the emulator based C64 replica) I find it outputs an almost too perfect and pixelated picture which does not give this warm fuzzy retro feeling.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.