Catweasel

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I knew that in the past Individual Computers made a universal floppy disk controller the Catweasel MK4 and MK4+. Why did po stop making it? can it still be found somewhere?

Thank you

GianDO

• I knew that in the past Individual Computers made a universal floppy disk controller the Catweasel MK4 and MK4+.

There were a lot more versions:

ISA version (1996 and 2000)

multiple IDE port versions for A1200 and A4000 (1996 to 2007)

MK3 Zorro/PCI flipper card (2002/2003)

MK4 and MK4plus (you mentioned these)

Zorro versions for Amiga (combined with Buddha)

Clock port version "MK2" for Amiga

The Amiga versions were selling too slow to be made again. The PCI version was discontinued after we could not get the 64-bit drivers for Windows to compile - not even with the help from companies that have full Microsoft support. I've had a new version on the agenda for a long time, just didn't get around to making it, as other projects were always more promising.

There are other projects that solve this problem - some are straight copies (such as the disk ferret thing), others use a USB microcontroller to implement the functionality. I believe the project name is grease weasel - where the name already indicates that it has taken lots of inspiration from the Catweasel. Not that they bother to give credit, but if you always wanted to know, but always were too afraid to ask who kicked this all off: It's me.

• I've heard of Greaseweazle, I believe this is what you mean. It's an interesting project, but not as much as Catweasel was, especially the MK4+ version which was the universal solution, the most complete one.

Don't have any inventories? I might buy one.

• I've heard of Greaseweazle, I believe this is what you mean. It's an interesting project, but not as much as Catweasel was, especially the MK4+ version which was the universal solution, the most complete one.

Don't have any inventories? I might buy one.

EDIT: Even if you don't have 64-bit drivers, you can still use it on a 32-bit version of Windows

• Hi,

I found and bought a Catweasel MK4Plus on Amibay. I'm trying these days to experience it.

I have a computer with Windows XP and Linux installed on two independent hard drives. Windows XP has correctly detected the card and I have installed the necessary drivers and tools. Yesterday evening I was experimenting with the card on Linux and therefore I installed an old Linux version, Ubuntu 13.10. Compiling the linux drivers had no problems, but I don't understand why the Catweasel is recognized as a NetJet ISDN modem, so I can't use it. Does anyone know a solution to the problem?

Thanks

GianDO

• but I don't understand why the Catweasel is recognized as a NetJet ISDN modem, so I can't use it. Does anyone know a solution to the problem?

I don't know a direct solution, but the cause is clear: I've used a Tiger320 PCI adapter chip, which has also been used by said ISDN card. However, the chip offers a possibility to alter PCI IDs and sub-IDs, and the Catweasel MK4(plus) makes use of that feature. Key to proper detection is that not just the PCI ID, but all sub-IDs are taken into account.

Jens

• I installed catweasel on ubuntu 14.04 and it worked fine with the cw drivers taken from that site

http://unusedino.de/cw/

I'm mostly interested in using Catweasel as a floppy controller.

I've read in the Catweasel manual that it doesn't offer the ability to browse foreign format floppies, and that the passthrough is only for PC format floppies, but it also says that Linux may be able to do this, unlike Windows which only supports FAT and NTFS, Linux supports formats such as Mac, Amiga and others. Could you tell me how could this operation (file explorer) be done with Linux?

• (Please note we cant actually support this, because we did not write those drivers and the product is long EOL)

That said, you will need the "cwfloppy" driver, which exposes the floppy as a block device. You then need to enable support for the format you want to access in the Linux kernel, and load the respective module. Then you can mount the block device using that format.

Something along those lines anyway - i have never done this myself, those drivers never worked for me in Linux.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.