Indivision MK2 has suddenly gone crazy - no useable screens

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi Jens -
    My MK2 which I have been happily using for many years has gone crazy. I was at AmiWest this weekend and had my keyboard connector replaced, so I had to remove my MK2 - when I put it back in, my display at first looked normal, but my monitor claimed it was sending a 41.5 Khz signal, and warned it was incompatible and shut the monitor down. When I got back from AmiWest it was worse - I booted up and just got the attached colorful, but totally useless screen. I have tried reflashing the cores and trying different screen modes, but always with the same corrupted borders and display. Regular RGB works fine with no issues.

I see no physical damage on the MK2 or on the Lisa chip. Anything else I can try or did this little guy just die?

Thanks,

Douglas (10 Minute Amiga Retro Cast)

• This may be a simple contact problem - please clean Lisa with alcohol and an old toothbrush, then re-connect the flicker fixer.

Also, is the output the same on VGA and DVI-out? This will give a hint at where the fault is located.

• Thanks for the prompt response, Jens... But we have some good progress. Considering I had to disassemble the A1200 so the keyboard connector had to be replaced, I took the board out and tested it just sitting in the case... And look! She works fine like that! I suspect there is a short someplace when I reconnected it.

I think this crisis in averted... Which I am thankful for because I need to stream Amiga Art Contest Livestream using your MK2! It's the only way I can get those lovely hi-res images to display without cheating with RTG or WinUAE ;)
    Now I will check to see where the short is. Maybe something happened with the plastic protector between the mainboard and the metal tray - I will check it for damage.

Thanks again, and I will let you know what I find.

• This picture looks like you're operating the A1200 board without the lower shield. Please make sure that you put the insulation foil back in, as there are pins and components on the back side of the baord that may short out with the shield. Don't even think about using the board without tzhe shield - it really has an electrical task, which can only be met if you install the shield and tighten a few of the screws that hold the board in the bottom part of the case. The screws will push the exposed contact areas against the shield.

I'll mark this as "resolved", but would still be interested where you'll find the short.

• Thanks again. I ran it without the shield only to test it. After I tested it and reprogrammed all the modes, I put the shield back on and screwed it down properly and everything works perfect. I have no idea where the short was, as everything looked fine. But obviously something had shorted out when I first put it back together. Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it!

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.