Buddha (20th anniversary ed) OS 3.2.1 CD-Rom folder access issue

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I am currently having issues accessing CDs.

When I click on a data CD, the contents are displayed fine.

But when I access a folder or installer within a CD, workbench will eventually freeze/lockup.

This is irrespective of which IDE device handler/file system I use, be it CacheCDFS, AsimCDFS or CDFileSystem.

The CD drive is connected as slave on the second IDE channel on my A2000.

If it matters, the CD Drive is an LG brand, model # GCE-8523.

Any suggestions as how to fix this is appreciated.

• Did you use the latest Buddha updates (see Wiki) that make CD installation much easier than the old Elaborate Bytes drivers?

Jens,

I have updated my DOM with the new 1.4 software package.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to make use of it on an existing system.

Consider this setup:

The installer DOM in the first IDE port

The CD drive on the second IDE port

The installer won't do anything.

Perhaps I should attach both the hard disk and CD Rom to the 2nd IDE port ?

• Unfortunately, I don't know how to make use of it on an existing system.

I haven't used them myself, but read quite some positive feedback about them since they went online. Please check the Wiki and summarize what you don't understand, so Timm can improve the documentation.

• For now I can just say that I've successfully installed 3.2.x many times from CD with our updated out-of-the-box setup and CacheCDFS.

That was the main scenario I was testing against for the updated software package.

Note that I had several CD drives for testing, of which a few did not work correctly, presumably due to their old age. With one drive I had a similar problem, contents were displayed correctly (albeit too slowly), and when running anything from the drive, errors were reported. The first thing to try would be to copy a CD's contents or at least some drawers to some other mass storage device, or RAM:, to see if that works.

• Timm and Jens,

With asimcdfs installed, I have resolved the lockups.

Asimcdfs has a configuration tool/app.

I bumped up the stack usage size to 50k from the default value of 2k.

I have tried several CDs and even installed some software from CD. There has been no issue since.

Everything now works fine.

I suspect a similar issue was causing me problems with both CacheCDFS & CDFileSystem.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.