Issue connecting directly to cartridge port

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi there

Due to a manufacturing defect the PCB directly under my C64's expansion port is slightly too wide. This means I am unable to insert a cartridge that has a plastic shell into it (the plastic case cannot fit over the PCB). I therefore have to remove the case of any cart I want to use.

I'm interested in buying the Chameleon to use in cartridge mode but don't want to use it out of it's nice yellow shell. I've also read that it's incompatible with any extender tech.

Am I out of luck? I have a bare PCB mini x-pander for use with any cart where I don't want to remove it's shell. Sounds like I won't be able to do this for the Chameleon?

Thanks for any suggestions you can give :)

• Heh, I've actually thought about cutting or filing the edges in the past. Started reading about fibreglass dust etc and got scared of doing it!

It's only a couple of millimetres on either side. Maybe I should just go for it!

• It shouldnt be a problem at all, use a "key file" (or "needle file") and file off the edge left and right of the connector - since there are no traces on the board in that position, you cant really damage the board that way

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.