ACA500Plus menu and PAL/NTSC switching; FYI maybe

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • First, I recently started using a new ACA500Plus from Individual Computers. The thing is great. I am posting this for anyone else who may wonder about the PAL/NTSC switching.

I am in the US but the Amiga 500 I'm using the ACA500Plus on previously had an Agnus 8371 AND the crystal on the board is 28.37516 MHZ the board version is 5 . So a PAL machine to start.

With the ACA500Plus, I ordered the 8372A and plugged it in. On the ACA500plus menu, the chip showed up as an ECS NTSC. So I hit the space bar and the size of the image does become slightly decreased in the vertical aspect and a little clearer but the menu on the ACA500Plus still Identifies it as a ECS NTSC chip. Short version, even so, nothing really looked right....I used the ACAPlus Menu to change to PAL, I used the pre menu (hold down both buttons at boot) and switched the setting under prefs on WB 3.1. Maybe it is common knowledge, but with software switch it was always identified as ECS NTSC chip.

I pulled the chip and put tape on pin 41 to prevent contact..its now identified as ECS PAL chip. For anyone else who might wonder about this....even if you hit the space bar, or change prefs in Workbench it is still identifying the chip as ECS PAL. I was approaching it with the idea that the software switching somehow "tricked" it into thinking it was the PAL or the NTCS chip and fixed the clock frequency. It does not appear to do so.

Anyway, this Amiga seems to me to look better with the PAL Agnus (blocked pin 41) than it did with the default Agnus hardware set to NTSC, even when using software to switch to PAL mode. . The monitor is a 1080 going through RGB.

I am a new comer here and to the Amiga. Fell free to educate or correct as needed.

• Nothing to correct here - the hardware does identify as NTSC, even if soft-switched to PAL, which not always works, especially if you're running floppy-based titles.

The PAL/NTSC ID is really a chip register, and the ACA500plus does NOT have the means to change that. However, I'm planning to add such a feature to the ACA2000, if I finally find time for that :-)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.