IndivisionAGAmk3 software crashes

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I've recently purchased an indivisionAGAmk3 and installed it onto my A1200 Rev. 2B.

After slightly enlarging the notch for R261A on the PLCC socket, it fit nicely and flush to the board.

The Mk3 is working out of the box. But the software keeps on crashing everytime. I use the latest 3.2.1 kickstart. No matter if I boot the Amiga from the indivision floppy disk or try to start the software from my existing workbench installation, it keeps crashing every time.

The software runs fine on my other Amiga 1200 (Rev. 1D4) and even on WinUAE.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

• Without further information about the system, this is going to be hard to diagnose.

What power supply are you using?

What accelerator are you using?

Are there other expansions in the computer?

Are there connections, for example to an audio system?

If you are switching to the 1D4 board, do you keep PSU and flickerfixer the same?

• I'm using a Meanwell RT-125B power supply on the Rev. 2B. It's installed inside a 19"-rack casing.
    The Rev. 1D4 is installed in a MIDI-Tower casing using a modified ATX power supply.

The 2B has an ACA1221 accelerator installed. But it behaves the same without the accelerator.

Btw. I got the Indivision software to work on the 2B from the Rescue floppy disk, but only when I switch to an older Cloanto 3.X Kickstart ROM.

On the 2B there are not really any further expansions of much concern... The Kickstart switcher, a SUM keyboard adapter and a DIY RTclock module on the clock port.

Connections are only to power and a TV set via HDMI so far.

The 1D4 is a completely different Amiga. So, as written above, different power supply and it has an older indivision AGA flicker fixer installed. Oh and it has an ACA1233 running.

• I'm using a Meanwell RT-125B power supply on the Rev. 2B. It's installed inside a 19"-rack casing.
    The Rev. 1D4 is installed in a MIDI-Tower casing using a modified ATX power supply.

Neither MeanWell, nor ATX power supplies are good for an Amiga - in fact, both are known-bad. Please read our PSU FAQ. One might work better than the other, but if it works at all, crashes are expected and explanations as to why it works at all are hardly scientific :-)

With your case modifications, did you make sure to have all shielding installed and connected to casing and earth wire of the power outlet?

Btw. I got the Indivision software to work on the 2B from the Rescue floppy disk, but only when I switch to an older Cloanto 3.X Kickstart ROM.

We do not test against Cloanto ROMs, so if you can, please use a Commodore 3.0 or 3.1 ROM. Higher ROMs may have the problem of requiring wb/icon library as a file on your boot media, so that's not recommended for a test either (unless you have a full 3.2 or 3.1.4 isntallation).

• Well, on the 1D4 I pretty much don't have a choice but to go with an ATX ps, as it has a Mediator PCI board installed. No problems with stability there.

On the 2B I can't say I had stability problems either. I've been using Meanwell power supplies on my Amigas for a long time without any issues.

So I wonder why only your indivisionAGAmk3 software refuses to run?! I've never experienced this problem with any other program.

Anyway, I'll try install my old 3.1 ROMs and see if that makes any difference.

I do have a properly registered purchased copy of AmigaOS 3.2 and have done a clean new installation for tests. But the indivision software doesn't run either.

• If you don't have another chance than ATX power supplies, you can at least choose one that is based on DC-DC converter technology, and of course go with a very low power rating. Even an expanded Amiga will hardly require more than 80W, so 200W is already overkill and will do more harm than good in an Amiga.

I've been using Meanwell power supplies on my Amigas for a long time without any issues.

Right - if it's not expanded, almost any power supply will work. Once you start expanding it, strength and weakness of any PSU will show. On the technical side, "but it works for me" is not a good basis. It should work by design, and that's not the case for a power supply that does not take the requirements of an expanded Amiga into account.

Once again, read the FAQ. I'm happy to explain things if there are details you don't understand. PSUs are a complex topic, and there's a lot of trash out there that happens to have a connector that fits the Amiga. However, this does not mean that a power supply is suitable for this machine.

So I wonder why only your indivisionAGAmk3 software refuses to run?

Hard to tell if you don't give us more information. A crash usually comes with a guru, and the number would indicate what went wrong. If that's the same on every crash, we have an indication. Since it's only this software, you might want to double-check if you're not mixing libraries of different OS versions or something along those lines.

I do have a properly registered purchased copy of AmigaOS 3.2 and have done a clean new installation for tests. But the indivision software doesn't run either.

I'm not sure if we tested the config tool on OS3.2, but Timm can give us details. If there would be a problem, we'd have heard about it from other users. Indivision AGA MK3 is a *very* successful product, and it's been around for almost two years now. This should be enough for you to see that it's not a general problem of the tool, so the question should be re-phrased to "why does one of your Amigas refuse to run the software?". Happy to help here, but you need to work with us and fix things that are evident before we move to other possible sources.

• I'm not sure if we tested the config tool on OS3.2, but ...

I'm running OS3.2.1 on my A1200 Rev.1B - no issues at all with the MK3-config-tool ... just FYI :-)

Commodore: A1200/1B, ACA1234/50/68882, Indi AGA MK3, Gotek, OS3.2.1 | A1200/1D.1, ACA1221lc/26,67, OS3.1 | A500/6a, ACA500+, Indi ECS V3, OS3.1 | A500/8A, Vampire v2+, Indi ECS V2, A2048, Gotek, OS3.9| A500/5, 512kB Trap, sealed, Kick 1.2 | 2×C64C, U II+, Turbo Chameleon V2, 2×1541II, Datassette | 1084S-CRT ······· Atari: Falcon030 | 1040STE | 800XL

• It's on the driver disk that came with the Microbotics memory expansions. There's a DMS of that disk on BBoAH.

I couldn't find it on BBoAH... but instead found it on amiga.resource.cx

I'll test the RAM later.

Meanwhile, I found the mk3 tool runs under Kickstart 3.2.1 when I start it from the rescue disk.

Still trying to figure out what's going on.

• Could you see if deactivating the MMU library makes it work? Our rescue disk will not install the MMU lib (it's not on the floppy!), but OS3.2.1 will nag if it finds an MMU and "convince" everyone to install MMU lib, even when there's little use for it. We've had massive problems with this already.

• OK, super weird things going on here...

I have made a completely new Workbench installation with Kickstart 3.2.1.

Running the IndivisionAGAmk3 program extracted from the lha archive crashes.

Mounting the ADF file on Workbench and running the program from there, WORKS.

But as soon as I copy the program to my system partition it crashes again when atempting to run.

Everything was done on the same fresh Workbench installation.

The same behaviour can be observed when I run the same OS installation on WinUAE. The program crashes even crash the entire WinUAE!

MMU / 680x0 library removal didn't change anything regarding this.

• This sounds like a copy-failure. There is a known bug in the copy-command of WB3.0, but that was fixed in 3.1 already, and I would not expect it to be back in 3.2.1.

I'd therefore look for the fault in your mass-storage. Please describe the exact setup and also mention the MaxTransfer settings of the partition(s) in use.

• I tried again using WinUAE only.

Booting up my plain 3.2.1 Workbench installation... mounting the IndiAGAmk3 ADF disk...

Starting the program from the mounted ADF disk works (of course showing a message that the indivision hardware is not found).

But even when I copy the program to RAM Disk and start it there, the entire WinUAE crashes completely.

This is exactly the same behaviour as on my real A1200.

I don't really think it's related to my physical mass-storage as this happens no matter if I use my real Amiga disk or completely different hardware on WinUAE.

• I didn't find clear wording, so please allow the question: is this behaviour confirmed to be caused by the 3.2.1 ROM than? Re-phrased: Can you get rid of the error in WinUAE by changing to Kickstart 3.1?

• For the record:

I can't confirm issues with OS3.2. Tested with 47.96, Workbench 47.2, ACA1234, IndivisionAGAmk3 config tool 1.10.

No problems whatsoever even with MMULibs installed.

Please note that there has been an important bug fix (possibly related to crashing) in config tool 1.10. Maybe check that you are running 1.10.

• I didn't find clear wording, so please allow the question: is this behaviour confirmed to be caused by the 3.2.1 ROM than? Re-phrased: Can you get rid of the error in WinUAE by changing to Kickstart 3.1?

Not quite so easy to test. Workbench won't load correctly with a 3.1 ROM.

However, if I use a Workbench 3.1 floppy disk image to boot, there seems to be no issue with the Indivision mk3 software. It runs from disk and also RAM disk. Actually, it even runs with Kickstart 3.2.1 (47.102).

Later I'll try to test a bit more on my real A1200 when I have more time. So far this all doesn't make much sense to me.

Btw. I've never had any issues on my other A1200 with an indivision AGA mk2.

• Btw. I've never had any issues on my other A1200 with an indivision AGA mk2.

I don't think we're looking at any hardware issue here. It's more like "chasing a ghost", where we don't yet know what the ghost really is.

The "binary does not work any more after copying" is worth investigating. Why don't you use one of those nice new OS3.2 tools and create an MD5sum of the source and target binary? I wouldn't be surprised if they are different.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.