ACA1234 - repartitioning CF

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi! I was able to partition a 256Mb SiliconDrive CF in ACA1234 to 2 equal volumes using the ACA installer (didn't install WB on it yet). Ok, ACA1234 and the card seem to work fine.

Now I need to re-partition the card to 5 partitions and clone the internal ST9096 bootable drive before disconnecting it. The card then will be used for double-boot set up with internal IDE.

How can I partition and format the CF in ACA1234 to arbitrary number of volumes and FFS-DC file system?

Thanks!

• I strongly suggest to NOT attempt to re-partition the drive. Using 64-bit file systems on the Amiga is an expert's thing, and our installer makes it very easy to use media that's larger then 4G - it takes out hours of painful learning how to get around the restrictions of the (older) Amiga operating systems. After our installer has done the hard work of putting a compatible file system into the RDB and adjusting partition sizes, you can use it like you're used to and not worry about the 4GByte barrier that used to be a real headache on the Amiga.

However, if you're trying to change partition sizes, this headache will come back. Don't even think about it if you're not aware of the implications.

Instead, I suggest to make subdirectories on your big "work" partition and copy the files from your harddrive there. Your bootable partition is of course best-suited for the boot partition on the CF card. There is no need for cloning the harddrive partitioning; if you just copy over all files, it'll also "just work". This can be done with a shell command (use the "clone" parameter for the copy command, as this will also copy over the file creation date), or use a file manager like Directory Opus.

• Thanks, Jens, for the qick reply!

Ok, I understand that we should stay away from changing partitions that ACA install created on the CF, but I remember the readme file mentioned that it is possible to create more partitions in the unallocated area... so this too would require special magic to overcome the headackes of Amiga limitations? Just curious :)

As for cloning, does the ACA install make the WB partition bootable even if I don't select to install WB3.1 on it? May I just use this comnand and boot Amiga with the CF connected to internal IDE or will I have to somehow make the partition bootable?:

COPY WORKBENCH:#? WB: ALL CLONE

• but I remember the readme file mentioned that it is possible to create more partitions in the unallocated area... so this too would require special magic to overcome the headackes of Amiga limitations? Just curious :)

Our installer creates a fully valid RDB, so a partitioning program from the newer OSes (3.1.4 or 3.2) will be able to add more partitions with less headache than the older HDToolbox from 3.1 or lower.

As for cloning, does the ACA install make the WB partition bootable even if I don't select to install WB3.1 on it?

To my knowledge, the RDB is not changed after the installation took place, but you might want to double-check that in the early startup menu: Hold down both mouse buttons during power-up and see if it's listed as a bootable partition. It should be, and it should have boot priority 0.

May I just use this comnand and boot Amiga with the CF connected to internal IDE or will I have to somehow make the partition bootable?:

COPY WORKBENCH:#? WB: ALL CLONE

This should work, yes.

• I copy-cloned the internal ST9096 HD to a CF in ACA1234 including the workbench 3.0 bootable partition, other partitions were copied to folders in the Work partition. Then replaced the HD with another CF (256Mb Kingston), booted to the ACA-CF workbench, partitioned internal IDE-CF to 5 volumes as was originally on the HD and copy-cloned everything from ACA-CF to the internal IDE-CF. No headaches so far :)

Tomorrow I plan to update ACA firmware, put a bigger CF in it (2-4Gb) and start with OS 3.2 installation.

Thanks for you help!

• HDToolbox needs to be told that it shall not look at the internal IDE, but at the CF card slot. When starting, it shows you that it's scanning scsi.device for devices - that's the device for the internal IDE port.

The ACA1234 CF card slot uses the device name "aca1234.device" (note all lower-case letters) - launch HDToolbox with that device name (either command line or icon tooltype), and it'll show the CF card.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.