Run standalone but as cartridge

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Is it possible to run the C64 core as "standalone", meaning the TC64 is using the FPGA for everything, but while plugged into a real C64?

Reason: I have an NTSC C64C that I'd like to run PAL software on occasionally. Other cores like Minimig or Genesis can run this way, using the C64 as a docking stations just for the keyboard/joysticks, but I can't see a way to do this with the C64 core.

• As far as I understand is the TC64 only usable as "standalone" when not plugged into a real C64.

Commodore: A1200/1B, ACA1234/50/68882, Indi AGA MK3, Gotek, OS3.2.1 | A1200/1D.1, ACA1221lc/26,67, OS3.1 | A500/6a, ACA500+, Indi ECS V3, OS3.1 | A500/8A, Vampire v2+, Indi ECS V2, A2048, Gotek, OS3.9| A500/5, 512kB Trap, sealed, Kick 1.2 | 2×C64C, U II+, Turbo Chameleon V2, 2×1541II, Datassette | 1084S-CRT ······· Atari: Falcon030 | 1040STE | 800XL

• While this would be possible in theory, it would go against the general rule that the C64 video output shall always show the same picture as the VGA output. So the best advice I can give here would be to switch to a setup with Docking Station, where you can connect your original keyboard.

Drawback: No user port. Added bonus: 4-player adapter (4 joystick ports) and Midi for other cores.

• one solution could be if robinson5 ported the c64 mist core to the tc64. However, that core is inferior to icomps c64 core. But it would allow thread starter to switch between ntsc and pal while having tc64 plugged in to his c64

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.