Unfortunate accident with Lyra 3... help, please.

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

My Lyra 3 arrived today. I also have the Indivision Mk3 AGA installed.

I followed the instruction sheet, pushing the brown/orange 3 MHz ceramic resonator slightly "down" toward the front of the motherboard to make certain it would clear the clip that snaps onto the keyboard MPU.

Unfortunately, the leads on the component were weak and the ceramic resonator broke off the motherboard. ;(

I have searched online and there don't seem to be any identical replacements available anywhere. I have seen some SMD equivalents. Does anyone know if something like this would do the job?

Thanks.

Steve

• Yes, that has a good probability of working as a replacement. The keyboard MCU does not need high clock precision, just "something that oscillates". Go for it - the financial risk is small, and there is no risk of damaging the keyboard controller.

• Jens,

After doing more research, I confirmed that any ceramic resonator from 3.0 MHz to 4.0 MHz will do the job. So I have some 3.58's on the way.

Now I have one more question for you. How would you mount the new ceramic resonator on the motherboard so as to accommodate both the Lyra and the Indivision PCB's? Would I want to have the bottom of the resonator body all the way down as close to the motherboard as possible, snipping off as much of the leads as possible? Or would I want to leave the leads long so that the body of the component "floats" above both the Lyra and the Indivision. It seems a bit of a tight fit between those two add-ons and I don't want to have another one snap off again.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

• You've pointed to an SMD variant yesterday. Why not solder that to the bottom of the PCB? This will give you all the space in the world for Lyra3.

Doesn't the A1200 schematic show an option to use CCK as a clock for the keyboard MCU? That would be just a resistor if I remember right.

• Hi, Jens,

Well, the ceramic resonator replacement was a success! The machine again boots just fine. But the Lyra isn't working yet.

The external keyboard LED's flash upon power up, so something is getting through. But the caps lock button doesn't light up when pressed, and keyboard input doesn't register.

By the way, I unplugged the Lyra and checked, and the original ribbon keyboard connector works fine with the original A1200 keyboard. I've also tried reseating the Lyra PCB multiple times but with no luck.

Suggestions for troubleshooting? Thanks.

ADDENDUM: Having read some of the other Lyra posts on this forum, I tried unplugging my Blizzard 1260 accelerator and the Lyra seems to be better behaved. The caps lock button works once the floppy drive begins to click, although, oddly, the NUM LOCK and SCROLL LOCK LED's also light up upon boot. Hope that extra info is useful in diagnosing this.

• Num Lock is actually a static setting that you choose in the Lyra config, and it's meant for small-size keyboards that map in a numeric keyboard when numlock is on. So it's expected not to light up upon pressing a key.

Same with the scroll lock LED: It will only light up (actually flash) as a confirmation that you ahve entered configuration mode. Read more about config mode on the Lyra 3 page in our Wiki.

• Got it, thank you.
    But how can I get the Lyra to be functional upon cold boot with the Blizzard 1260 attached?

Also, how can I get a keyboard rest to work?

Thanks again!

• TBH, I don't know what the Blizzard ROM does. I have a feeling that the startup-wait procedure in Lyra, which waits for the internal keyboard MCU to send it's first "hello" before the actual Lyra code starts, fails. I need to investigate that, but can't promise any time frame for when this can happen. I can reproduce the problem here with B1230-IV, hoping that it's a similar problem with the B1260.

• I would assume that they share a lot in common. The SCSI controller that is common to both the 1230 and 1260 is called 1230 SCSI.device, which makes me think they have other firmware components in common. In the meantime, I will try to see if putting a reboot in my start up sequence remedies the problem. I will let you know.

• OK, I have found a pretty decent work around that gets the keyboard working. For the Ateo bus system, startup-sequence has a line that calls C:StartAteoBus, which normally triggers a reset unless you have the argument NOREBOOT specified. So I deleted that argument, and the reset that results gets the keyboard properly initialized. I also noticed, for what it’s worth, that if I choose the “failsafe boot“ option in the early start up menu, the keyboard will also initialize properly. Anyway, I’m good for now.

I’ve been using the Amiga with the motherboard out of the case and without the Ateo bus system. I had the edge connectors replaced and did some other tweaks here and there. It will be interesting to see, when I get the whole thing reassembled, if it works reliably. I shall report back. ;-)

In the meantime, I don’t know if it’s worth your time to sort out this issue with the Blizzard boards, but hopefully this gives you some more, useful information on what’s going on.

• Well, one other workaround, although it’s a little awkward, is to boot holding down both mouse buttons into the early start up menu, and then simply click on boot. It seems to give the keyboard controller on the Lyra whatever it needs to initialize itself.

• Jens,

If there is any way that the Blizzard 1260 issues with the Lyra 3 could be sorted out, that would be fantastic. I’m sure it is not at the top of any list of your priorities, but the fact that the Lyra 3 will not initialize properly without a reset is causing me some complications with my system. Thanks.

• If the B1230-IV (which is the only Blizzard that I own) does the same, there's a chance, yes. I won't promise a timeframe, though; there's quite a few other things higher on the prio list.

• thanks for responding and yes, I would be thankful for a fix. I’m grateful for the excellent products that Individual produces and for your solid, professional way of doing business. Thank you. 👍

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.