CA-PSU using USB-C?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hey, I'm wondering if it would be possible to simplify the the PSU by using USB-C instead of another "brick" PSU on our desks. It would also help with the lack of 110V version. What do you think about it?

• The power budget of USB-C is certainly suitable, but it would require a number of inefficient changes to the design - not only inefficient, but also more expensive. The CA-PSU is already the most expensive solution on the market, and I'd rather not increase the gap even more.

• Correct me, if I am wrong, but USB (C) has only 5 V or? So you have to Step up this to 12 V for the 12V Rail. And As I remember, you Need 12 V for the Floppy (OK, maybe many use a Gotek) and the Serial Port (Maybe also not used often).

• USB-C allows increasing the voltage - I believe up to 20V. This requires some USB communication with the carger, and the charger of course needs to support this. So you're right questioning the 100W power budget of USB-C given that it would require 20A of current at 5V - no user-friendly cable would be able to carry this amount of current.

By raising the voltage to 20V, the current requirement goes down a lot, while you're still in "normal" insulation territory and you also don't put anyone in danger.

Still, the added complexity would make it more expensive and I'd have to compete with other companies on the chip market for the parts required. We've had enough of a gap in availability of this product.

• Aah thank you for this information. THis was always my main question. How will it possible to pu 70W over such a small wire. But If I can increase the voltage, it make sense.

• This discussion actually got me thinking if it may be an option for the A1200 Reloaded or the C64 Reloaded MK3. However, I could not find any data about these chargers. Are they specified to be operated over longer durations at these high outputs? Remember that fast-charging a phone or tablet is something that's completed after less than one hour. I wouldn't want to limit a retro gaming session to one hour, just because the charger that's powering it may overheat, or otherwise be out of it's comfort zone (which is where product liability comes back into play...).

So - nice thought experiment, but I'll stick with the 12V PSU.

• i think usb c is capable of delivering huge power over longer period of time. I personally use my usb c docking station for my macbook for more than 10h daily

• That might be an Apple thing - Apple always has top-notch PSUs, high efficiency and not low-cost at all. However, the goal of making such a DC-DC converter for the Amiga would be to only ship the converter, and have the customer buy the USB-C charger locally. This means that my unit would have to limit liability way more than I currently do (as I deliver everything from the wall plug to the computer), and on top of that limited liability, I'd probably have to factor in higher support cost due to funny low-cost USB-C chargers that are not as good as what Apple provided for your Macbook.

So again - the idea sounds nice, but it's easier and cheaper the way that we're selling them right now, with the added bonus of having a single product liability insurance to turn to, in the unlikely case that something goes wrong.

• Sometimes I think you make life too complicated for yourself.

If you will produce a Product, USB-C to AMIGA Converter (PSU) and you are saying: The USB-C power supply must comply with the current specifications according to USB-PD you are (in my humble opinion) not liable. You have maybe some support ask here, but I think, not much more as you have with the other PSU units.

Also I think, that a Standard AMIGA will not need so much Power. The Original PSU was an 25 Watt power supply. That are 25% of the maximum USB-PD Power. And The AMIGA has (in a default configuration) never used this power.

But that is just my own opinion and you can do that, what you think is the best for you and your company. Also you have a better few of all your customers and support cases as I have.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.