Can't boot from DOM

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Jens

I still need the original workbench.library that came with the DOM. I am still using the one from OS3.2 which means I can't use the Buddha on another Amiga that don't have the new 3.2 ROMS. I have my 3000D that as soon as I find a SCSI HD I need the Buddha to install OS 3.5 or 3.9 and I need the Buddha cd to install the software.

Frank

• Jens

I want the DOM in its original condition when it was made. I don't want to use the OS3.2 workbench.library file. The old roms have the library files in the roms, using a OS3.2 library I'm sure there would be a conflict. That's maybe why the Buddha does NOT create a valid nonstandard Amiga format HD partitions.

I can't test the buddha on m 3000D as it won't boot due to battery corrosion. I put my 3000D roms in m3000T to test it says it need 2.01 kickstart won't load buddhainstall: I installed my old 3000T 3.1 roms and it took 6 reboots to finally get to buddhainstall: and it install HD the and the CD with a request it needed Libs files so I gave it Libs with OS3.2 workbench.library on a floppy, so the requested Libs files are not on the DOM.

It took 5-6 reboots to find BDH0 up and running. I installed OS3.2 no problems. So out of the box the buddha still has issues with my crippled DOM. I still want the DOM repaired.

• I want the DOM in its original condition when it was made.

Again, you have that already. The files we have provided did a complete repair of your DOM, as you have confirmed.

I don't want to use the OS3.2 workbench.library file.

You are free to do so - if you are using an earlier ROM, that lib is in the ROM.

That's maybe why the Buddha does NOT create a valid nonstandard Amiga format HD partitions.

The installer script generates a valid RDB - if QB Tools does not work with PFS3, a fresh DOM (with the same contents) will not make a difference.

finally get to buddhainstall: and it install HD the and the CD with a request it needed Libs file

This sounds more like you did not have a 3.1 ROM installed - probably the 3.1.4 ROM? That also does not have the wb lib in ROM. Again, the DOM only contains WB 3.1 files.

So out of the box the buddha still has issues with my crippled DOM. I still want the DOM repaired.

Again, your DOM is not crippled. We've gone to great lengths to provide a remote repair method. What you are describing is more than unlikely to be caused by the DOM.

• After I use buddhainstall and reboot, I get this message, Buddha needs to be fed the workbench.library because it is hungry and it is missing in the DOM Libs directory, I checked. I need this fixed!

• Buddha needs to be fed the workbench.library

No, not "Buddha needs to be fed", but "the Amiga" - and again, we are not responsible for software that other people have removed from the ROM. THis looks like you don't have the correct ROM installed - it's either a V3.1 from an A4000T (which also lacks that lib, but will be on your install floppies), or it's a V3.1.4.

What you're asking for is general Amiga support, far away from regular product support. I'm willing to help with information, but you need to understand that this is not regular Buddha support.

Please start by finding out the exact version number of your ROM - just boot from a WB disk, type "version" at a shell and it'll tell you.

• ROMs which lack important parts of the system software were a very unfortunate design decision, to put this politely. You cannot blame the Buddha product for later OS developments going haywire.

With 3.1 ROMs you wouldn't run into this issue, even with OS 3.2 installed.

Regarding the Installation DOM: You can revert the BuddhaInstall volume (not the entire DOM, just the install partition) to the state of its delivery, if you are using the BuddhaRestore package in the intended way. DO NOT unpack the contents of the BuddhaRestore package to the DOM. Unpack buddharestore.lha (see attachment) to RAM:, SYS:T:, a floppy disk, or some other directory. Open the directory on the Workbench, read the README, follow the instructions. This procedure has been tested with OS 3.2, just not with 3.2 ROMs.

Edit: I mention the above just for completeness, because you insist on getting back the Installation DOM's factory contents. It appears doubtful to me that you really need to run the BuddhaRestore package yet again.

We do not ship OS 3.2's workbench.library - it didn't exist when we packaged the Installation DOM.

If you insist on using 3.2 ROMs, just do what the requester in your screen photo is asking for: Insert a volume containing LIBS/workbench.library in any drive.

• Jens

I am using the newest kickstart and workbench that I just purchased for the Amiga3000D/T.

when I got the buddha IDE it installed the HD, great and I did not need to any Libs: file(s). It booted withe Buddha whatever OS was on the buddha. en All I had were CD-DVD-R/W and you told me I needed a CD-ROM and I bought one for $35. The buddha CD install is flawed and it was using the scsi.device and it needed buddhascsi.device! Then I was able to install OS3.2 (47.2).

Everything worked and I was happy. Then I tried a CD-DVD-R/W drive and it too installed, so I didn't need to buy a CD-ROM that you stated I needed.

After that the buddha screen changed from orange/black to white with black text screen (see pictures above). From then on I needed to have LIBS: directory which the only one I had was on the new OS3.2 CD. So I put it on floppy then I could install OS3.2. that's when I contacted you over 3 weeks ago. Later I found I just needed workbench.library. So something happened to the DOM that it lost the proper screen colors and the required LIBS file(s). I didn't do anything to the DOM but reboot the computer. Using a CD-DVD-R/W drive I can real all the files. I see that you have another restore file and I will install it and see what happens.

• Jens

I installed the latest buddharestore.lha transferred it to the DOM and did the "update" and "restore" as directed. Rebooted to BuddhaInstall: and did the install process, rebooted to BDH0: and I got the same message still need the files in the Libs directory which is the workbench.library.

• I am using the newest kickstart

and:

still need the files in the Libs directory which is the workbench.library

Not our fault. You either use the right Kickstart for OS3.1 (which comes from the DOM), or you use Kickstart 3.2 and WB3.2. You have an OS3.2 problem, and Hyperion is responsible for that kind of support.

• Jens,

Thats the problem, WB 3.1files are NOT in the DOMs software so it must be in the firmware so send me a file to repair the firmware or the WB 3.1 library file and I can put in the Libs folder. The software is not accessing the requires firmware files.

At this time the Buddha IDE can only work with the new OS3.2 OS with the 3.2 ROMS. It won't work with my old OS3.1 40.68 ROMs or any other because it needs the 3.1 OS files it will come to a shell screen as WB is not loaded. We have been going on about this problem for going on five (5) weeks and still can't get it resolved. I offered to send you the defective DOMs for repair or exchange this could take up to 3-4 weeks, but you have not agreed by sending me an RMA.

• I installed the latest buddharestore.lha transferred it to the DOM and did the "update" and "restore" as directed. Rebooted to BuddhaInstall: and did the install process, rebooted to BDH0: and I got the same message still need the files in the Libs directory which is the workbench.library.

So the issue is now that you installed OS3.1 with our installer with OS3.2 ROMs installed to your computer, and now you're stuck without the libraries, because they're neither in ROM nor in the resulting installation. In that case simply do not use our installer, but OS3.2's tools for HD setup, partitioning, and installation. The device is buddhascsi.device.

• At this time the Buddha IDE can only work with the new OS3.2 OS with the 3.2 ROMS. It won't work with my old OS3.1 40.68 ROMs or any other because it needs the 3.1 OS files it will come to a shell screen as WB is not loaded.

That's not correct, I have a working OS3.2 installation in an Amiga 3000 with Buddha controller and OS3.1 ROMs.

• Jens

Yes, you are correct! I had the same 3.1 ROMs when I got the buddha and that's why it worked with OS3.9, as my OS3.2 kit did not arrive yet. But when I installed the 3.2 ROMs and that's when I had problems because the buddha only had 3.1 workbench that's why it needed workbench.library from OS3.2. The buddha will not work if you change the ROMs to OS3.2. I did not know this and you only tried it with 3.1 ROMs as stated above.

If anyone want's t upgrade to OS3.2 with 3.2 ROMs:

1 Copy the Libs directory from the OS3.2 CD to a floppy. You can do this on a windozzz machine but you need to format the floppy to 720K and mount PC0: and PC1: using the proper software. I use Cross DOS and Cross PC.

2 Change the ROMs to OS3.2.

3 Set the HD to master and CD to slave, boot up with BuddhaInstall and prep the IDE drive and reboot.

4 When called for Libs files insert the floppy and OS3.2 will boot. You will have an issue with BuddhaSpeed talk to Jens about that.

5 Find CD may not show buddhascsi.device. Run the CD Install, When you get to a prompt and buddhascsi.device it is not listed abort out and the next screen will say scsi.device, change it to buddhascsi.device and the next prompt will show device 5 change it to 1 and then it will prompt to name it CD1 is ok and the CD will mount and will be on your WB then you can install OS3.2 from the CD.

I modified my CD install file to do this automatically and the Find CD will show a buddhascsi.device and I can chose it.

If you have a 68040, 68060 board you need to install the proper CPU files from your floppy or from the OS3.2 CD. Install OS3.2 again but chose the last option at the prompt. The OS3.2 will allow to read CDs or DVDs. I can use erasable CDs or DVDs or DVD-RAMs to copy files from a windozzz machine but you need to close the disc so the Amiga will read the disc. I bet you can save all the Commodore, Amiga software ever made on one DVD. This is GREAT as you can erase the disc's and reuse them like a big giant floppy with long file names.

Enjoy

• That tool was available on the driver disk of pretty much any Microbotics expansion. We don't host such driver disks, but BBoAH does. Popular search engines will guide you to them :-)