Can't boot from DOM

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Here are the pictures of the buddha connected to the IDE to SATA adapter to a 60gb SSD.

Here are the pictures of the buddha connected to the IDE to SATA adapter to the 60gb SSD.

• Jens, Timm

I found a IDE CD-ROM and hooked it up to my windozzz pc and it works. So if we can get it connected to the buddha I should be able to transfer large files between computers and my new OS3.2 installed on my 3000T SCSI drive. I think I can get the DOM working again.

• The DOM with the install partition shows up in your system and you can start the InstallBuddha program, so that's great.

The contents of the BuddhaRestore package were not supposed to be copied over to the BuddhaInstall volume. Now we have to repair the contents of the BuddhaInstall volume from our attempts to repair it. Let's forget the BuddhaRestore package, which was meant to restore the installation DOM on a much deeper, on device level.

I have attached a lha archive that contains everything that is important on the BuddhaInstall volume. Please copy over the contents of the archive to the BuddhaInstall volume, or unarchive it right there:

cd BuddhaInstall:

lha x buddhainstall.lha

Then the Buddha installer should come up if you boot from the BUDDHA_INST device in the boot menu, or if no other devices are connected. There might be some unneeded garbage on your BuddhaInstall volume now, but this shouldn't matter.

From this point, we can work through other issues.

• I install the buddhainstall.lha and now the dom is back to normal with the propper screen.

I ran the cd install and it found the NEC CD-ROM drive. I install the CD and got the following message and had to abort the install.

The HD and CD share the same IDE port HD is set as master and CD is set to slave.

Frank

• The "Buddha Semaphore" messages comes because you're somehow trying to use buddha_atapi.device. I don't know how often I wrote in this thread that this device is from the old set of software from 1997 and won't work.

• Jens

I did edit the CD mountlist file but when I installed the latest update it you sent it overwrote the file. You do need to put the correct buddhascsi.device so I and others don't need to edit the CD mountlist file, it would help.

I did get my cd-rom working at least the buddha will help in installing OS3.2 and read cd's. DOpus4 seems to work now, QuarterBack Tools still sees BDH0: as a non AmigaDOS partition. I tried to copy BuddhaInstall DOM to my SCSI drive for backup and got many read errors from BI: . Disconnected the CD-ROM and it copied just fine. The HD is set to master and the CD-Rom is set to slave. I will separate the HD and CD to separate IDE ports and see if that makes a difference. At least DOpus seem to work which is my main concern. I don't use the CD-ROM all the time so I can disable it.

I thank you and Timm for helping me get the buddha working. I let you know when I install the new OS3.2 to the buddha.

I'm a little confused I bought OS3.5 and OS3.9 when I updated back in the 90's why is the new OS3.2?

• Jens I was able to install OS3.2 on the Buddha with the cd rom. But I had to reinstall the CD-rom after I rebooted into OS3.2 using the DOM.

I had to move the folder that has the buddhascsi.device into WB. I need to change my monitor as the new os has a different video output and my monitor says signal out of range. I can't seem to find a different mode in 3.2 yet. I removed the DOM and removed my MK II 68060 board and rebooted and the CD works. Thats when my video went out of range of the monitor. And DOpus still works. I send pics soon.

• Pictures of the Buddha running OS3.2 and Aminet in the cd-rom. Top right is the new look, I need to change monitors as the new os has a different rez mode. Top left is with my MK II 060/50. Top right and bottom left with MK II removed.

It is very important to back up the DOM. My DOM got corrupted, and I had to work with Jens and Timm to get working, thanks guys.

Download the last LHA file above and (save to another media, not your HD) to repair your DOM!

• I tried to copy BuddhaInstall DOM to my SCSI drive for backup and got many read errors from BI: . Disconnected the CD-ROM and it copied just fine.

That's an indicator for a CD-Drive or a cable that corrupts the data - some CD drives don't release the data bus if the controller does not talk to them. Normally, this keeps the computer from starting - you may run into more problems; if so, please remember this incident: CD drive caused read errors from another device.

I will separate the HD and CD to separate IDE ports and see if that makes a difference.

The two ports are only a logical separation; the bus is the same, just buffered from the Zorro bus.

I'm a little confused I bought OS3.5 and OS3.9 when I updated back in the 90's why is the new OS3.2?

OS3.5 and 3.9 were made by Haage&Partner back in the days. These are now considered "dead forks", and the Hyperion team had a fresh swing at it from the 3.1 starting point, getting to 3.1.4, then to 3.2, which actually fixes more than the 3.5 and 3.9 versions did.

Good to hear that you got it to work.

• Jens Thanks for the info on the different Amiga OS I know what to do with them.

I had major issues with the DOM but I reinstalled the lates BuddhaRestore.lha and WOW it made a big improvement!

I install 6 hard drives and CD-rom and installed OS3.2 taking approx. 6 minutes each. I had one drive that the Buddha didn't see, it's may be bad.

Things to change.

• The BuddhaSpeed tool can be removed - I have disabled the speed setting decades ago already, because A1200-Zorro boards had trouble implementing the XRDY function, and harddrives didn't really need the slow-down. You can just delete the Buddhaspeed tool from WBStartup.

• Thanks.

Jens, I went and bought a CD_ROM drive $35. I installed an IDE DVD/RW drive, and it is working great, so a ROM drive is not need!

Now all you need is a way to format it and we can save files on it. If you and Timm had pointed ears two lines of code would do it.

• If you could post the contents of the CD0 file (or other file name if it's a different logical device name), this may help others. Also, there may be a significant difference because you're running OS3.2 - I have no experience with the new OS, and they might have implemented something to make installing a CD/DVD drive easier.

So yes, we are aware that the DOM is not required for installing a CD/DVD drive - it was one of my suggestions fairly early in this thread. However, you never answered with the mount files that I have requested. Would be great if we could wrap up this support thread with that information.

• Jens

Sorry for the delay I have been busy, also I had problems formatting floppy disk using PC0:

The Path is Devs/DOSDrivers CD1.

When I trouble with DOM it asked me for Libs disk so I copied the Libs directory to floppy and it was happy. I found it needed workbench.library the version is 47.33 (31.3.2021) which is on the new os3.2 CD.

[attach=2977][

When installing the CD drive use find to get the buddhascsi.device the use install CD and when you get to the screen scsi.device type buddhascsi. device. Unit number should be 1 and cd device name is CD1. It should install. Insert a CD or DVD in the drive, and it should mount. You can use a IDE DVD-RW drive set to slave and hard drive set to master, it will read a DVD movie disk and you can see the files. You can install the CD drive and install the OS in about 6 minutes. Hope this helps.

• When I trouble with DOM it asked me for Libs disk so I copied the Libs directory to floppy and it was happy. I found it needed workbench.library the version is 47.33 (31.3.2021) which is on the new os3.2 CD.

That's all an artefact of using the very-latest Kickstart with a boot medium that was never tested with it. You have to know that Kickstart 3.2 lacks a few libraries that previous Kickstart versions still hat in ROM. Now that they are expected to be on the boot medium, the current DOM is just set up to fail. However, this support thread has lead to very usable ideas for product improvement.

Also, thanks for your suggested changes that you've sent via eMail. I still consider the CD-install disk from Elaborate Bytes as a "dead fork", but I have an idea to improve the install script to integrate HD and CD install. Don't expect an update too soon, but it's on the Todo list now.

• I understand that the Buddha has never been tested with the new 3.2 roms and OS3.2 this was not mentioned in your product information. In my case I had to install the new roms and OS as my roms were made for the A4000T which I recently found out, not for the A3000T. OS3.2 has been on the market for many months, and it should have been tested with the Buddha and buyers been informed about the possible compatibility issues. I am glad I bought OS3.2 but knowing now what I had to do get the Buddha working by installing the new OS3.2. I should have bought old SCSI hardware and the installation would have been much, much, easier and the $$ would have been about the same. The Buddha works in my system A3000T with the MK2 68060-50 but Quaterback Tools says it is not an Amiga partition(s), don't run it on the hard drive or it may crash your system and you will need to re install the HD. At times the Buddha will not see a IDE HD, you need to reformat it on a windozzz machine, then connected to the Buddha.

I have been a Commodore user when I bought my first P.E.T. and built my 4k ram expansion board to upgrade to 8k ram to program a Star Trek game in basic. I bought a C64 and I built the interface hardware and wrote the eprom program in Commodore basic using peeks and pokes commands. I am sure it was the first and only C64 eprom programmer in the world at that time. I programmed over150 eprom for a company and made $$. I have used the C64 NTSC in video production. I have used my email as "a3000t@yahoo.com" since the early '90s. I had to put my A3000T, A3000D, A1200 in storage as my work required me to use a windozzz pc. Now that I am retired I have the time to work on my Amiga's. You can see I am a avid Amiga user. I have been an electronics technician and a little electronics engineer for over 50 years as it was my job while I was working for a power utility company for 39 of those years. I have programed in basic and C++ but have forgotten most of it as I will be 73 this year.

Frank

• OS3.2 has been on the market for many months, and it should have been tested with the Buddha and buyers been informed about the possible compatibility issues.

No - just no. We are not responsible for anything that a new OS breaks. That's Hyperion's responsibility.

Yes, we have fixed a lot of stuff in our software that Hyperion has broken, but there is no obligation, other than "we do it because nobody else does, while some decisions within OS3.2 are not unchallenged" (trying to be diplomatic).

Your problems with Quarterback tools may be related to media and partition size, but also due to the file system. Quarterback came out when there was only OFS ("old file system") and FFS ("fast file system") on harddrives that were hardly larger than 500MBytes (Quantum LPS with 49MBytes was standard back then!).

The Buddha Installer will use PFS3 ("professional file system") in most cases, and that may confuse Quarterback. I find it a bit odd that you demand compatibility with a new OS, but then turn around and use over-30-year old software and also expect that to work. At some point, things do break, even on the Amiga.

Someone with your expertise may not even need a floppy-based backup system. You wrote a few posts before that you have an Ariadne card left. With the accelerator in your computer, you'll have no problems mounting remote drives on the Amiga and using them for backups. That will be *much* more convenient, as even larger backups will run unattended.

• Jens

Nothing has broken on my 3000, I do not hold anyone responsible as nothing is broken! This is a purely a software issue and me trying to save my software. I formatted the buddha drive with FFS 3.1. Currently I am using KS 47.102 WB 47.2 on both SCSI and buddha IDE. Using HEX READ I found wb version 47. 33 when I check the wb about is says WB 47.2. The buddha is working just file by itself.

On my SCSI drive which is a 535MB with two partitions 235MB each. I have Installed OS3.2 and QBTools runs just fine NO issues I didn't need to format the SCSI. I do have the Ariadne II but I haven't been able to get it running, I don't know if it's the card or the software. I don't know what version of workbench.library you use with the Buddha so the ONLY version that I have is 47.33. I have OS3.5 and 3.9 but the wb library must be in the roms. I am just telling you my experiences with the buddha and OS3.2. When I installed the 3.2 roms, my SCSI booted just fine but I couldn't install the OS3.2 software on the SCSI as I didn't have a CD drive. When I got the buddha I was able to install the 3.2 software on the SCSI and QBTools worked just fine but I did not change the format of the SCSI. I do want to get rid of the SCSI as it is a dead and outdated hardware. I was just stating that it would have been easy just to add SCSI HD and CD. You may be right that its mixing of OS's may be the cause of my problems but I am trying to save my programs from my SCSI so I don't lose them, I don't have the floppies any longer or they are damaged and unable to reinstall them. I was hoping that someone on the forum would share their experiences with install the buddha on a 3000.