Can't boot from DOM

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Jens, just to let you know using a IDE to sata adapter you can connect sata hard drives to the buddah, it works.

Thanks - that's a first. I have tried several IDE->SATA adapters back in 2018 when the 20-year anniversary edition was in development, and none of them worked. If this shall be useful for others who are reading this forum, please mention the exact type or even post a picture of the thing. However, please do not link to any shop or marketplace, as I don't want to deal with the legal implications of such a link - thanks.

• Thanks - interesting to see that there's a unit out there that has to SATA ports. I've only found single-port unis. Then again, it's two chips and even two distinct crystals of the same frequency. I can't see the chips's logos and designators, but it might be SunPlus.

Here's a shot at restoring your DOM: The attached file is a packed ADF, and the zip is smaller than 720k, so transfer to the Amiga will work with a PC disk. You should be able to to unpack it on the Amiga with the latest Unzip tool, found on Aminet:

http://aminet.net/package/util/arc/UnZIP552

Please do make sure that the DOM is in the "right" slot, if the controller is in front of you, connectors facing up, text readable (the slot closer to the ROM socket). The disk will restore the RDB and installer-partition, but not touch the install-partitions with the OS files.

• Jens,

I use caps to emphasis not shouting, sorry to all. I was born in Greece in 1949 and moved to USA in 1952 so I do have a temper.... it's in my genes and those I can't do anything about. With all the the things going on in the world, the buddah, china virus, russia Ukraine War, world war III treat I am a little uptight.

The DOM has no write protection on the module but I see that you can protect each file through software option. I know that during the setup of the drive that it writes back to software to save settings. I am sure most files can be protected from deletion with that option. I should have made a back up the DOM files and copied them on floppies and put them in my safe!

• Sorry, but here's another update. This disk allows you to not only restore the install partition on the DOM, but also to perform the changes hdtoolbox would do when devices have been added or removed on a given bus/controller.

As it turned out, it can happen to everybody (regardless of cultural background or temper) to connect a device which has a termination mark, while there are devices with higher unit numbers on the same controller - which in the case of the Buddha controller can make the installation DOM invisible.

The disk can be booted from, in this case you just have to follow the instructions. Invoke 'update' if an update is necessary, then retry. If the installation DOM is still not available, do a 'restore'.

Alternatively you can enter a shell and change to the disk, then you have the same commands 'scan', 'update', and 'restore'.

We're also working on the CDRom issue, but this may take a little longer.

Edit: The BuddhaRestore package has been supplied with a README and updated to work with OS3.2, from Workbench, shell, and from booting the disk, just in case someone else finds it useful.

• I did install the BuddhaRestore file and copied the file to the dom and install the HD an all went well.

If you do a dir /w (shows the dir in wide format but that's a pcdos command) in a shell it crashes the Amiga but its an not one of the options when you do a dir ? I entered it by accident.

Installed DOpus4 and still crashes the Amiga but didn't kill the drive, it just rebooted. Quaterbacktools does not like the hard drive format.

I will install the buddharestore.adf.lha but I got a dentist app and I don't know how I will feel. It took me 6 hours to uncompress the adf file, I had trouble getting the GOADF.zip I kept getting error message, I had to put it in a lha format and got it to work so I could run the adf file you sent. The GOADF was on the buddha drive that got killed by DOpus. I will let you know how things go.

• On the IDE to SATA adapter the only numbers on it are G536SATA330V10. All I can say is look for two ic's and two crystals. Don't go by any yet as I will do some more testing. It may be that it worked on the hd I was using.... this may not work on all hds so don't waste your$$. I got my Buddha working so I can do some testing. This board has be kicking around my shop and I never tried on a pc motherboard. I just stuck it in the Buddha and no smoke so I hooked up a sata hd and the Buddha configured it. What luck.. I got another board but I haven't located it yet.

• If you see the BuddhaInstall icon on your Workbench, then all is fine, at least with regard to the restoration package.

(Not sure if I can follow what took 6 hours. The lha is supposed to be decompressed on Amiga, Mac, PC, or whatever. It then produces an ADF file, an Amiga (floppy) disk image. Booting from this disk, you can perform repair operations, 'update' the drives (only needed if it says to do so), or 'restore' the Buddha install DOM to make it visible again if it was destroyed/overwritten.)

• It's not supposed to be copied to the DOM.

However it seems you don't need it - if you have the BuddhaInstall partition mounted on your Workbench, all is good.

You can split files for transfer, but after transfer and unpacking you'd still have to transfer the ADF file to an Amiga floppy disk.

If you don't have a floppy disk drive, there are various ways to mount a disk image on the Workbench.

The intended use of the package is to make sure that one can get the BuddhaInstall partition back after it became invisible (from rearranging, adding/removing devices), or if it was rendered unusable (e.g. from overwriting the rigid disk block). If that's not the case, then there's no need to use it.

• Timm

I guess that you developed the Buddha software?

The buddha worked great when I received it and as able to install m harddrive.

When I connect my cd-dvd drive as slave the hd was set to master on the buddah looking at the board installed zoro slot in my 3000T on the right the DOM was on the left IDE port. I use find cd which it did identify the CD-DVD went to installed cd which it did NOT install the cd. I rebooted and that's the DOM would not bring me to the buddha install menu on the DOM. This was due to DOpus when Installed it rebooted the Amiga and killed my partitions on the HD. So I took the buddha out and went to my SCSI drive to boot my system. That's when I asked Jens to send me the files so I could repair my DOM. I found the buddha upgrade and install it and it still didn't work. I found a file on the net and installed it and it got me to the buddha install screen but it asked me for Devs and Library files which I had on m SCSI that made the buddha work. I feel that the files on the DOM are a mixture of the files in my attempt to fix the buddha. I need to do a clean install of these files. Jens said due to copyright laws he couldn't do that. I need to send the DOM to him and he would send it back. This would take 2 to 3 weeks and I am left with a useless board. That's when the buddharepair software came to be. No instructions was included how to install the BR files so I just copied them to the buddha and there is copylibs folder am I to copy those files to Libs directory? I run Quarter Back Tools and it told me that BDH0 and WORK partitions were NOT an AmigaDOS Volumes this is a major problem. I will wait to get the repair files and try those.

Frank

• On the IDE to SATA adapter I was able to install a 60GB SSD to the Buddha but when I install DOpus4 it rebooted my system and now when I chose to start the buddha DOM I get a shell screen what do I do with the buddhainst.lzma file? I must type buddhainstall to start the DOM wich do not show any attached HD. My DOM is dead again as it won't come up to the normal install screen. So I need to repair my DOM by software or send it back to you and wait 2-3 weeks.

The IDE to SATA adapter that I used does work, both SATA ports even on a SSD.

Pictures of the failed DOM. I will send pictures of the IDE to SATA adapter soon.