Can't boot from DOM

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi, I have an issue with the Buddha IDE. I can't boot from the DOM. Message Cannot find required files for installation.

please run from the Buddhainstall disk. No hard drives are connected and I am booting from the DOM. I formatted 1 IDE hard drive and was trying to install a CD drive. My hard drive is set to master and cd is set to slave on the right IDE port.

My system A3000T with MKII 2mb graphic ram and 6 megs of system ram. Please help.

• I don't get what you're doing and in what order - and I don't even see where the CD drive shall come in, so please leave that out for the moment.

If you can't boot from the DOM, then the most likely reason is that there is another boot device in the system that has higher boot priority. Is that the case? Is there another harddrive in the system? I mean, A3000T has a SCSI controller, and you might have an already-installed system on there.

• All I have is the Buddha IDE and one hard drive. The DOM is in the left IDE port and the jumper is in.

I also tried it with another hard drive and did a cold boot and I get no menu from the buddah just a message cannot find required files for

installation. Please run from buddahinstall disk. I don't have a floppy disk just the DOM, unless you call the DOM the disk. I need a download of the files that are needed on the DOM.

Frank

• I bought this Buddha IDE from you about 3 weeks ago my order number 113885 it was shipped to Idaho USA, it should be under warranty. Either I need to reinstall the files on the DOM or a replacement DOM.

• Finally I was able to get the files I needed to get my buddha ide dom working.....I get a menu now!

I need to get the cd working. I use find cd and it shows a 2 TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R51 and I chose it.

I run the Install CD and use the novice setting.

I chose all the defaults but when I get to specify directory I chose Work1:Buddha.

In find device the ONLY choice I have is Buddha_atapi.device I get a error message:

Failed to initialize:

Can't find BUDDHA Semaphore!

Probably the IDE drivers not loaded!

I must cancel.

Any help to solve the problem would most helpful.

• All I have is the Buddha IDE and one hard drive.

What vendor and size is that harddrive?

I get no menu from the buddah just a message cannot find required files for

installation.

Can you please take a picture of that error message? I have no idea where this may come from.

Finally I was able to get the files I needed to get my buddha ide dom working.....I get a menu now!

Does that mean that you have now installed a WB on your IDE harddrive? If so, what did you change? I mean, it should have worked out of the box, so there must have been something wrong with your system. We should know your steps, so we know what might have gone wrong before, and we can judge if the installation is complete.

Also, we should know about the KIckstart that your A3000 has: If you are mixing an old Kickstart with a WB3.1 installation, you may get funny (=unwanted) effects.

In find device the ONLY choice I have is Buddha_atapi.device I get a error message:

Failed to initialize:

Can't find BUDDHA Semaphore!

Finddevice should also show scsi.device and buddhascsi.device - in an A3000, there is the internal SCSI controller that uses the scsi.device name, and the Buddha uses buddhascsi.device with the latest flash ROM that we're shipping. The install disk you're obviously using is device names that were used with the early versions of the Buddha controller (1997 and later, prior to the 20-year-anniversary versions). It is expected behaviour that the old buddhaatapi.device does not work properly, because it is looking for the scsi.device (or 2ndscsi.device) that the old Buddha software provided. Naturally, this is not there.

You should ONLY use buddhascsi.device for talking to the CD drive. The easiest thing is to edit the CD0 mount list with a text editor and replace buddhaatapi.device with buddhascsi.device.

• I was able to obtain all of the files on the DOM and now my buddha is working.

My current concern is getting my cd to work Please read my current posts for all the information.

This has been a headache, the cd install program needs HELP. I can't send you pictures as you have a 1 meg limit.

I am 72 and I was able to write computer software programs but those neurons have left the body many years ago.

I bought the A3000T new when it was released in the 90s. I also have a a1200 working, a A3000D not working (battery issues).

When I run the cd installer in novice mode when I get to Find Device Exec Device it show scsi.device and no other, I get a message:

Failed to initialize: Can't find the Buddha Semaphore! Probably the IDE driver is not loaded!

I must abort and now I am stuck. That is my problem. The find cd program finds the buddhascsi.device as a 2 Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R51 (the "2" may be the type)?

It is not shown in Exec Device.

I need my CD as I have received OS 3.2 and ROM kit and have no way to load the CD. Also I need to transfer files from m windowzzz machine using floppies 720k and all the file names are truncated.

pc and Amiga are 35 feet away can't use null serial cable.

Any help would be great.

• I can't send you pictures as you have a 1 meg limit.

There are programs and apps that let you reduce the size and quality settings of a picture. A few ten kilobytes are enough for showing an error message - it doesn't have to be a 4k ultra-HD picture.

The find cd program finds the buddhascsi.device as a 2 Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R51

This contradicts the error message that you're quoting: The buddhascsi.device doesn't even know that a Buddha Semaphore existed 20 years ago. You seem to be confusing the device names. Please make sure that you really use buddhascsi.device, then installation should work. You'll need to exchange the file for cacheCDFS in a final step, but that'll only be to remove a requester.

The "2" might actually confuse the install script, as that's written for CD drives, not CD-writers and definitely not DVD drives (they were not invented when the Buddha was invented!). So you might have to do a manual install. What kind of tools do you have on the Amiga now? A bootable WB, and what programs? Maybe a text editor, file manager like DOpus? I can walk you through the process, but would like to know if you're comfortable editing text files.

I formatted my HD and copied my OS from my scsi drive to the IDE.

This implies that you didn't need the DOM in the first place - if you have a working OS installation on a SCSI drive, and now copied it to the IDE drive, you have two bootable harddisks. This may cause trouble when installing the CD drive - to be honest, I have never tried it in such a weird config. You might want to remove one of the drives first, and only leave the one in the computer that you want to keep using in the future.

I need my CD as I have received OS 3.2 and ROM kit and have no way to load the CD.

The Buddha is the right tool for that. Not sure if the DVD-ROM is fully supported; you may need to get a real CD drive with Atapi interface. DVDs never caught any traction on the Amiga.

Also I need to transfer files from m windowzzz machine using floppies 720k and all the file names are truncated.

pc and Amiga are 35 feet away can't use null serial cable.

Buddha is not a tool for data transfer, but for mass-storage. Data transfer is best done with network. For a one-time-transfer, you could burn a CD on the PC and put that into the drive (after that's installed), but if this is going to be a regular thing, you should put the Amiga into your home network.

• What is the difference of a picture and and the text of what is says? I will try to shrink the pictures. I NOW have a CLEAN install of the OS as installed by the buddah, I installed the new 3.2 roms. I had to copy devs and libs from the new os3.2 cd to the floppy because buddah told me to. I installed DirectoryOpus it's a great program. I still can't get any of the 5 cd-dvd drives to work. I do not have a CD-ROM. It was NOT stated that only CD-ROMS drives must be used for the buddha! The buddha did NOT create a mountlist file for the cd so I created one using the example from Elaborate Bytes CacheCDFS mount list entry by O. Kastl using the buddha_adapi.device. (yes, I can create and edit files). You say the buddha is not for data transfer from SCSI to IDE but the buddha does it quite well and fast! I do have a Ariadne II network card but I need to get the software configured. Again I ask you to send me the files that need to be on the bhddha DOM as to be sure they are all there, and why it needed the devs and libs files? Compress them to lha or adf to fit on a 720k floppy so I can get them to the Amiga....please. You should have my email on file when I bought the buddha. One question can I use the right IDE port for the hard drive and cd making one master and the other slave or do I need to use both ports? The information said that up to 4 IDE devices are supported by the buddah.

• What is the difference of a picture and and the text of what is says?

It will tell me if it's a script-initiated or an OS-initiated error message.

buddha_adapi.device.

please replace that with buddhascsi.device in your mountlist. The buddha_atapi device will not work with the new flash ROM that your Buddha has been shipped with.

Again I ask you to send me the files that need to be on the bhddha DOM as to be sure they are all there

You have Kickstart 3.2 - OS3.1 will have it's trouble with that. You previously mentioned that you have "found" the files for the DOM. I wonder why they got deleted in the first place. The automatic installer from the DOM will not help you at all. However, the old Buddha install disk with the CD-installer is available in our Wiki.

and why it needed the devs and libs files?

It's part of the Kickstart 3.2 trouble: It lacks these files. This is mentioned in the documentation of OS3.2.

Compress them to lha or adf to fit on a 720k floppy so I can get them to the Amiga....please. You should have my email on file when I bought the buddha.

The DOM is larger than that - and it also contains copyrighted/licensed files that I am only allowed to include with the Buddha controller, so all I can do is to send you the files from the installer partition. These will only install OS3.1, which you obviously already have. As far as I can see, the only problem we still have is getting the CD drive to work, and that's not part of the automatic installer that you're asking for.

One question can I use the right IDE port for the hard drive and cd making one master and the other slave or do I need to use both ports? The information said that up to 4 IDE devices are supported by the buddah.

You can use any combination. However, many CD/DVD drives have problems if they are configured as Master, as that is not a common thing on OCs. Note that these drives are developed for PCs, and they are mostly tested in the most common configuration, and that's "slave on the same cable as the only harddisk in the system". So my recommendation would be to do exactly that, as that will reduce the amount of error sources.

• Send it!

Here are the pictures.

Why do you have a cd find and a cd installer on the DOM?

Shipping the dom would take 2 to 3 WEEKS for me to get it back!

It seems I am missing COPYLIBS on the dom at least. Send me an RMA!

I found on the net other people who bought buddah IDE are having problems with the dom's.

• Jens: I was going to order a CD-ROM I glad I didn't. I decided to load some of my program on the BDH0:. I installed DirectoryOpus.... it deleted the boot partition BDHO..."BDH0:Uninitialized" and WORK partition has been deleted of all files. Another program is QuaterBack Tools is useless on the BDH0 stating disk error not an AmigaDOS volume! This Buddha IDE is not compatible with some Amiga programs! Has anyone had this problem, please reply. Backup your software before installing DirectoryOpus! I will leave you an out Jens it may be the defective DOM..... but I doute it!

• Your DOpus warning doesn't seem appropriate; the program will not delete anything unless you tell it to. What I suspect is that you somehow managed to make our installer attempt to install the OS on it's own DOM, resulting in the RDB ("ridgid disk block", the Amiga version of the master boot record) being overwritten, and the DOM becoming unusable. I am taking this as "low priority", as the DOM is primarily for OS installation. You do not need an OS install - you have that already.

Thanks - the message "please run from BuddhaInstall disk" is indeed from our installation script, and it confirms what I thought: You are booting from a different medium, then running the installation script, which (rightfully) complains that the install disks are not mounted. AFAIR, these are only mounted when you *boot* from the DOM, and this will not happen automatically if you have other bootable media connected. I will not go into detail about how to do that, because I believe it's not what you need at this point (see paragraph above).

It seems like the boot partition of the DOM has been mangled. I have asked Timm via eMail to see if he can make an ADF that will bring back that partition, which hopefully compresses to less than 720k.

For any further steps (until Timm has an idea how to restore the DOM), please remove the DOM from the controller and store it in a safe place.

Let's focus on CD install for now. I see two approaches in your pictures, where one is totally wrong, and I have mentioned that multiple times before:

Do not use buddha_atapi.device.

Please take a snapshot of the "CD0" mount list; I'll walk you through the changes required to make your CD drive work.

• As I told you Jens that my DOM was dead and you wouldn't do anything to help me get it to work NO SUPPORT! I spent $100 us dollars on this hardware that would free me of the SCSI to newer hardware. As for the CD all I have are IDE CD-DVD-RW drives, I have no CD-ROM! As for the CD, mountlist it was on the BDH0 which was deleted by Directory Opus. The buddah IDE is no longer in my Amiga. I can't and won't do anything with it until I get a NEW DOM!! I am not going to waist my time until I get something that works. I used Directory Opus on my SCSI drive to purge anything buddah. Why don't you get Directory Opus and install it on a drive and see what it does. You send me a NEW DOM and I will return the old DOM and send me a RMA. THE MONKEY IS ON YOUR BACK....get it done Jens! Let me know.

• Calm down. You have caused more work already than any other Buddha customer before, yet we're willing to help you.

Timm is working on a way to restore your DOM remotely, because (as you already pointed out), shipping will make this a very expensive endeavour.

If you continue to claim "NO SUPPORT" (which in capital letters is considered shouting), I will choose to really drop support and point you to your right of revocation. The mere fact that you kept sending eMails despite numerous pointers to the support forum shows that you're way too emotional already. Calm down, behave. We'll help you, but you need to remember that it's real people on the other end.