Can't boot from DOM

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Jens

I found the problem with MBRTest. It works great if I boot from my SCSI drive and If I load it from a bootable floppy, but not if I boot from the buddha drive. Still using 3.2 roms and OS3.2.

• Please make sure that MMU is not active while running a memory test. Even with MBRtest attempting to restore the previous memory contents, it will always overwrite the MMU table at some point, and this will inevitably lead to a crash.

Memory testing is something you should ONLY do with "almost nothing else" running, ideally from the initial shell.

• Jens

I want to install a 2nd hard drive to the buddha for backup of my WB3.2 and WORK partitions. I can't seem to find a way to do this with the buddha files. Can you provide the procedure to do this?

On another issue the BuddhaInstall (DOM) drawer disappeared from my workbench screen. I rebooted (warm and cold boot) many times and even left it off for over an hour, and it would not show up. I tried selective boot (holding the mouse buttons) and it was not here as a choice. This morning I turned on the Amiga and it showed up and all is ok. Was yesterday a buddha holiday? Is this normal?

• Can you provide the procedure to do this?

I take it you have already made the electrical connection? If so, the "clean" path would be to go with HDToolbox and one of the many instructions on the net that helps you to install a harddrive. Note that these instructions are never controller-specific, but Amiga-specific, so they apply to pretty much any IDE and SCSI controller.

You could of course use our installer to partition the drive and later on overwrite the installed OS with your backup. Since the partition names will be identical, the OS will re-name them, which may cause confusion, so you may have to use HDToolbox to change the partition names after all.

Was yesterday a buddha holiday? Is this normal?

:-)

Doesn't sound normal, and it sounds like there is a contact problem on the jumper that passes power to the DOM.

I'd recommend to remove the DOM after installation. You won't need it in normal operation, and the free IDE port will come in handy for the second harddrive (I believe you still have the CD-Rom drive with your boot media as master on the first port?).

• I removed the SCSI drive from my Amiga and am using only the Buddha HD's and CD-DVD drives, HD is master, and DVD is slave on the left IDE and have been using it for about a week. I checked the voltage on the jumper for the DOM and it is 5.13 VDC.

I have removed the DOM from the right IDE port and stored it. I Install the new HD in the right IDE and remove the JUMPER (I changed the jumper to RED one so it's more noticeable) and powered on. I tried all of the HDToolboxes and they do not show any HD drives not even BDH0 or BDH1. Don't they need the buddhascsi.device to use them on the buddha drives? Now I been able to make a bootable backup of BDH0 and BDH1 partitions on another buddha drive and I am happy it names them BDH0.1 and BDH1.1.

After 1.5 hours I have determined the reason the BuddhaInstall volume is not present is due to IDE hardware issue with the Buddha. I have tried 3 Seagate drives 2 80gb and 1 160gb all 3 failed to get the BuddhaInstall volume on the WB desktop. But 2 200gb, 1 160gb, 1 80gb Maxtor drives work ok, with the DVD drive. Please note this on MY system with 3.2 roms and OS3.2. I will be using The Maxtor 80gb drive as my boot drive and the 160gb as my backup.

• Jens

After 2 months trying to get the buddha to work with 3.2 ROMS, OS3.2 and Genesis Ariadne II, AMITCP software to get my network running I GAVE UP!

When I installed the network software my system using the buddha crashed and won't boot, I had to reformat the IDE drive again and again. At this point the buddha is not compatible with MY system. To me it's JUNK! I spent $100.00 US and I got nothing and over 200 power on/off cycles. My A3000T is working great using SCSI hardware and I am able to get on the net. To All, DON'T waste your $$ on the buddha if you plan to upgrade to 3.2 ROMS, OS3.2! I had to restore the DOM a good 10 times "as it kept crashing". I plan to get a NAIL and mount it on the wall above my Amiga with a slice of lemon on it (will send you a picture). The buddha may work on 3.1 ROMS and OS3.5, OS3.9 (1990 version) fine. The buddha needs work, it's not ready for prime time (new OS).

Jens, you think I'm "upset".... you are right!!! This buddha has wasted both of our time and tempers and my $100.00.

MY SYSTEM:

A3000T, 3.2 ROMS, OS3.2, 4.2gb SCSI hard drive, SCSI CD-ROM, CyberStorm MKII 68060-50mhz with RAM and fast SCSI card, Airadne II network card, CyberVision 64/3D video card with RAM, 2Megs CHIP RAM and 57Megs of system ram.

I had a SCSI HP 8mm tape backup drive, but I don't need any more. I bought my A3000T all NEW back in the 90's.

Frank

• The funny part is that your story is changing from posting to posting. Looks like something "bad" is happening, and none of us understands why - either a user error, or a softwatre combination that will not work with the file system combination that our installer is putting on hardrives.

As you have reported yourself, the Buddha works fine with OS3.2 (with and without new ROMs), but you're doing complex installations on top that you're not describing in detail. The mere "does not work" sentence won't help for a diagnosis from a distance. Sorry to hear that you believe it was a waste of money - especially after you've reported that everything works fine.

• Jens

Thanks for your reply. I found the problem(s) with the Buddha IDE. I decided to use my microscope and examine all of the soldered connections.

I found two that had a solder problem. There was definite cratering on two connections. One on the power jumper for the right IDE where the DOM is installed and the other on pin 2 of the IDE connector. Vibration caused the connections to fail.

I mentioned that the BuddhaInstall would disappear and would give me DOM read errors and that I couldn't use the right IDE port with a hard drive or CD-DVD drives. This is why I suspected the DOM being bad. Also, I couldn't use some hard drives like the Seagate and other drives I mentioned.

I now have NO issues with any IDE hardware attached the right port and NO read errors. This what is called infant mortally.

• You're circling aread where good soldering connections can be seen. Is this the point where you deviate into esoteric electronics, where current flow is altered by a bent pin?

• JENS! This is AFTER I soldered the bad connections! What is the matter with you? I stated that I am happy with the buddha and you are saying that I did not fix it and you want it to still be bad?? I am stating at this time all is well with the buddha after I re soldered the connections shown! I have invested $$ when I purchased 3.2 roms and OS3.2 and I will NOT go back to 3.1 and OS3.9! The buddha works fine on the new OS!!!! I have been a electronics technician of 50 years and working for a power utility company for 38 years working on multi million $$ equipment in substation where there is 345,000 volt power lines longer that you have been alive! Go help your MANY customers with their issues with the buddha and get their problems resolved or refund their $$ with shipping and VAT and make them happy, that is your job!!. I have found that installing the HD first and then attaching the CD drive works the best. Fix the CD install program so the buddhascsi.device is shown I sent you the install file that I edited which solves the issues.Get rid of buddhaspeed program asap. Find out how much memory the have and what Buster, Ramsey, Alice ect. and determine if they need to be upgraded show this in your buddha requirements. Remember upgrading is not cheap so fix the buddha to work with the older chips.

Kick me off your forum, there are other forum's and YOUTUBE and I can make video's!

• I stated that I am happy with the buddha

Kind of. Your story swings back and forth.

Posting two pictures implies "before and after". If both are "after", it would have helped if you mentioned this. What's the warranty ID on this unit? I'd like to take a look at our QC photos.

• Yes, they are the same picture I couldn't delete one it was a mouse click error. I couldn't get a clear picture with my cellphone camera before I made the repair. The only way I could see the cratering on the pins was with a blister microscope.

Why are you so negative?

Here are the before pictures,

• I still don't see any problem. Note that these PCBs are:

- electrically tested with 4-wire kelvin method, meaning the vias are fully tested as well.

- chemical-gold plated, meaning the surface and vias will not corrode during the time between PCB manufacturing and board assembly (note that there is another temperature cycle in between, as SMD assembly comes before THT assembly)

- wave-soldered using spray flux, not foam flux, achieving computer-controlled coverage

- inspected optically and of course functionally

My bet is still on the jumper itself. Again, please tell me the warranty ID, so I can check the high-res pictures that we take of each board during packing.

Why are you so negative?

I'm just trying to get to the truth here. Your changing story is going up and down, and people reading this will have a hard time judging it. Especially given that I've mentioned the power jumper right at the beginning, and you - with your multi-decade-experience - put it off, later on claiming that this is an infant-mortality thing, practically wiping away 28 years of production and quality control experience on this side.

The steps above should show you that we're not just "testing quality into the production run" - that would be the most ineffective way of providing a working product. Instead, anything we find during QC is analyzed in order to find a way early in production to avoid it at the source. I have a *very* hard time believing that something as obvios as you're describing it, has slipped our QC.

• Jens

I checked the 5 and 12 volts when I started to have issues 5v and 12v was over ok. You kept tell me that it was a software issue of mixing of OS. I did a clean install to my IDE HD after I made the floppies with OS3.2 files and still had read errors on the DOM and my system would crash and give me a guru error. OS3.2 deletes any outdated files and replaces them, so there is NO mixing of OS files.

In the beginning I did NOT know that the library files were no longer on the 3.2 ROMs. The 3.2 OS needed the library files which I didn't have at that time. There are many steps in troubleshooting I took that I didn't mention as I didn't want to write a book.

My SCSI CD-ROM died that's why bought the buddha and switched to IDE. I had to switch to my SCSI HD with 3.1 ROMs and OS3.9 and make PC formatted discs on the Amiga as my windowzzz machine does not format 720K floppies anymore. Then I copied the libs files to the floppy from my windowzzz machine using its CD drive and OS3.2 disc. Then I transferred them to Amiga floppy's and had to correct all the file names as windowzzz floppies use only short names. Then I could get OS3.2 running. This was a learning experience for me and time consuming.

Fact: The buddha IDE was defective when I received it, intermittent! (See air disasters, an Air Bus 320 plane crashed killing hundreds of passengers due to a bad solder connection in the computer system) it happens.

Fact: It was LEMON when I received it!

Fact: I soldered 3 connections on the buddha!

Fact: The buddha is working great NO PROBLEMS!

So, Jens, let's MOVE ON!!

:):):)

• Jens

Closed the thread.
  • This case has led to internal discussions, and analysis of the descriptions has shown us that a large part of the install procedure has to be re-written in order to cover new cases that didn't exist back when the installer was developed:

- installing WB3.1 with Kickstart V3.1.4 or V3.2 was not possible

- Launching WB3.1 with a new Kickstart version was not possible

- There was no "restore" procedure, in case the install-DOM got damaged

- if a CD/DVD drive was properly installed in WB3.1, it would disappear after installing OS3.2

Please check this news item for more info about the new installer.