P96 V3.2.2 released (now V3.2.3)

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • The RTG driver P96 enjoys growing popularity: More then 40 paid downloads (more than a third of them for the full price or more) during the weeks since version V3.2.0 has been published, have taken us over the threshold of 30% cost coverage since we've taken ownership of the software in 2016. We'd like to send a big thank-you to the Amiga community for strong support and detailed bug reports in our support forum, which help us improve the software on a regular basis.

• Version 3.2.2 attempts one more time to deal with broken software: If a program like Descent opens a planar screen mode, but combines it with chunky rendering routines, the new version 3.2.2 can display a correct picture despite this evident software error.
    • Sprite colours are now switched if the sprite travels from one screen to another in a split-screen environment. This fixes the colour of the mouse pointer during screen dragging.
    • masked blitting of planar bitmaps has been fixed: This fixes the "Palette"-preferences program.
    • If a split-screen (dragged screen) is used on a PIV-card, the video-window will not be disabled, but will pan together with the front screen. Note that P96 currently does not support video or memory windows on the back screen.
  • Hi Jens,

Thanks for these continued updates to our favourite RTG software. Just wondering if when paying for the software first time or when renewing due to expired downloads or time limit. Could there be an option to pay a higher amount e.g. €50 which would allow the customer to have a higher downloads remaining limit or even longer period before expiry?

• Could there be an option to pay a higher amount e.g. €50 which would allow the customer to have a higher downloads remaining limit or even longer period before expiry?

I'd have to do that manually, as the shop system does not allow any connectio between the chosen price and the download expiry date.

• I'd have to do that manually, as the shop system does not allow any connectio between the chosen price and the download expiry date.

I think my P96 order expires on 22/1/22, according to my order history. I'd be interested in paying you the €50 if it means an extended time limit or higher download limit.

• I can set the number of downloads much higher at no extra cost - that's arbitrary and needs to be entered into the shop system to have "some" limit there. I'll set that higher for anyone, anytime.

The expiry date is what's most valuable to you, as it means "longer update period". Just let me know what you're thinking of for those 50,- EUR, and we'll make it happen (if it's not totally outlandish...).

• Funny - the 3.2.1 version is not even on the server any more, the file has been replaced. Please re-check what you've downloaded and unpacked - you may be confusing your own downloads.

• My P96 purchase expired last year, but I'm happy to pay again to support the continued development of this software.

Alas, I can't seem to find it in the shop at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: It seems to only show up if you log in. Having logged in, I can see it.

• New version V3.2.3 just uploaded to the page. Changes:

• P96 no longer attempts to set the beamcon0 register and the vtotal register of the custom chips in case the active video mode is on an RTG board that is not in the display chain.
    • Even though bitmaps were locked, memory management could have migrated them off the board if memory was getting tight. This may have caused quite some issues on "close-to-zero" memory situations.
    • As BlitMaskBitMap was potentially allocating memory for the mask buffer, it could have migrated the bitmaps it was actually supposed to render, causing all kinds of havocs. To avoid this problem, source and target bitmap for a two-bitmap operation are now locked on the board. This is actually a very old bug that goes back to the 2.x release cycle.
    • A possible memory inconsistency in P96Mode was fixed where an incorrect memory pointer was released.
    • The Altais and RetinaBLT drivers did not record the state of the monitor switch correctly. As a result of this defect, the SetDPMS() function to enable power saving may have failed, keeping the monitor on all the time.
    • The rtg.library may have attempted to switch of the Altais display on a Draco system without ever turning it on again.
    • Fixed a very old bug on adjusting the line pattern shift upon drawing into multiple cliprects. This bug was apparently introduced while merging my own P96 version with the last official version by the authors. This bug could have introduced artefacts when drawing "marquee" effects for selecting multiple files in alternative file managers.
    • When switching buffers on a double-buffered screens, P96 forcibly reloaded the sprite image, which caused flicker on some RTG boards. This version now avoids reloading the sprite unless absolutely necessary.
  • Jens

Changed the title of the thread from “P96 V3.2.2 released” to “P96 V3.2.2 released (now V3.2.3)”.
  • We do not provide Mediator drivers. The question should go to Elbox - they are the authors of the card drivers. We're "only" providing the bulk of the work, but Elbox must provice the card drivers. They're just a few lines of code that make sure that the chip drivers get the correct address(es), but with the weird license that Elbox has for their PCI library, it appears that nobody but them is allowed to write a driver.

Funny dual-standard-measurements, as Elbox never paid for the developer license of P96 back in the days. Good thing I have made it all public now, taking them out of this legal grey zone.

• @ Guest

Elbox radeon.card does work with v3.1 p96. I haven't got around to updating to 3.2.x yet.

Jens

As your friendly with hyperion, they have a OS4.1 p96 radeon driver for the mediator and also a version of warp3D for it. Is there a way that can be used. Happy to buy a separate package if you can license and back port.

• I have no intention to work with or for Elbox. If you want to back port this driver, please contact Hyperion and ask if they open up the source (and if they're even allowed to, given the funny licensing that Elbox has thought of for their PCI contraption).

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.