BigRAM2630 on A2630 with upside down sockets

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I've posted this issue on Twitter before, but lets follow up here. I bought a BigRAM 2630 for my A2630, Rev 9. After it arrived, it turned out, my A2630 has the expansion connectors installed upside down. This isn't the well-known "reverse A2630" issue, as the connectors are on the backside, not the component side, but the keying is exactly the opposite of what the BigRAM expects, and what other A2630s have, when comparing to photos online.

Link to the mentioned Twitter post/thread:

https://twitter.com/chainq/status/1461243779206328321

First it was assumed it was just a manufacturing issue at Commodore, one of many. But after thinking about it for few more days, and checking the card more thoroughly, I think it's more likely that someone attempted to fix this originally "reverse" A2630 to a regular one, but mounted the connectors on the backside upside down int the process. The card has some leftover solder blobs on some of the connector pins (no solder bridges though) and also some soldering on some of the ZIP RAM pins.

Now, this puts me in a difficult situation. Jens proposed we should fix this issue by cutting the keying on the connectors off with a dremel, so the BigRAM would fit, but I'm not so comfortable with this idea.

First, if the card was modified, there's absolutely no guarantees the expansion connectors would even work at all, so cutting into them feels a bit "meh". I mean this is already a card which is not so rare, and not original, but still feels ... wrong. :) So of course, the another option would be soldering off the connectors and putting them back with the right orientation, but this would put the 30+ years old 4 layer PCB of the card in jeopardy, and I might end up with a totally non working card in the end. Another option would be to reverse the connectors on the BigRAM instead of the A2630, but this would invalidate my warranty of course, and might kill the BigRAM. And if the connectors were modified on the card, they might not be functional at all, so I'd end up with an unusable BigRAM AND a not expandable A2630. Same if I'd request Jens to make me a special version, he can't test the card, but if my A2360 was modified, and the expansion connectors are broken, it might not work at all again, and we would have no way to figure out why. So, yeah. Still back to dremmel time?

Well, another idea I had was to buy both the A2630-side, and the BigRAM side connectors too, and make a makeshift adapter, which fits between the two sides, therefore allowing a test of the A2360 with the BigRAM. If it works, then I'd be much more willing to go modifying whatever needs to be modified. Jens, could you please share the part number of the connectors on the BigRAM card and on the A2630? Also, if I would still go crazy, and solder either the BigRAM or the A2360, I could at least install new connectors, instead of trying to salvage/reuse the old ones, which might be even more difficult.

BTW, don't worry, I understand how this affect the BigRAM's warranty, and that I'm on my own in this regard, due to the nature of my hardware.

• OK, so just for an update/wrapup.

The A2630 dilemma is solved, because I consulted with the previous caretaker of this card, and he agreed that we should just dremel the connectors. He also took initiative to do it himself. I was fine with that.

So we did:

https://twitter.com/chainq/status/1462163819141214208

In retrospect we should have used some tape or something to protect the PCB, in case the dremel slips, but lucky for us, it did not... We used some small file, and sharp knife to remove some dremeling leftovers afterwards.

And so we could fit the BigRAM2630, finally:

https://twitter.com/chainq/status/1462163888368234503

And it works now:

https://twitter.com/chainq/status/1462243847635881991

Not pictured, but it also passes the AmigaTestKit memtest. The machine was also 100% stable during the ~1 hour I had time to test so far with actual software running. although nut under heavy load.

Information/part number on the connector would still be nice, but otherwise it's solved now.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.