Individision AVA MK3 4000D/CD32 no signal at all

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Such a small application is not a big deal, correct. I'll see if I can write that over the course of the day.

Seeing an old mechanical harddrive in your computer, it may be that it's spin-up time knocks out the FPGA configuration, as the inrush current of a starting motor may put oscillation on the 5V rail. That said, ATX power supplies are far from recommended for Amiga computers, no matter how golden the promises are. PCs usually have point-of-load regulators being fed from the 12V rail, and hardly ever use the 5V rail at all.

Please see our PSU FAQ for details.

• This took me way too long to write - I'm really not a software guy :-) Please try this in your startup-sequence. It will give the launch control engine a "kick". When in normal operation, the monitor loses sync for a short time while the FPGA re-loads it's logic and then re-loads settings from flash.

• Tobias Yes, please do, but we should mention that this is only a treatment on the symptom side, and should be considered temporary. The cause is most likely a faulty power-up ramp.

• Hello,

I have exactly the same problem as solabird on my A1200 after MK3 deployment. No video signal. I've tried three different sources. Old AT 235W, new ATX 400W and original A500 heavy source. Still just a black screen. I use a CF card instead of an HDD. Only after inserting the MK3reset file into S: everything started to work as it should

However, I have a query when loading the system or any window change in a different resolution shows the Indivision transparent data window. This window will disappear after maybe 5 seconds. Is it possible to set it to disappear earlier or not show up at all?

Marien

• I've tried three different sources. Old AT 235W, new ATX 400W and original A500 heavy source.

So two out of three PSUs are "not recommended" (you surely have seen our FAQ), and the third is one that's already too weak, as it's from an A500 from a year that even predates the A1200 itself.

What about the board itself? Has this been re-capped at any point?

However, I have a query when loading the system or any window change in a different resolution shows the Indivision transparent data window. This window will disappear after maybe 5 seconds. Is it possible to set it to disappear earlier or not show up at all?

Sure, just read the documentation.

• Hi,

Yes, my motherboard (1D4) is completely recap with polymer capacitors.

ups:) FAQ and documantation I read yesterday...

And what about the new PSUs designed for the Amiga? Also not suitable?

• And what about the new PSUs designed for the Amiga? Also not suitable?

These are NOT suitable for an Amiga, just because someone has put an Amiga-connector on them. This is false advertising. MeanWell chassis are not designed for power sinks on a long cable. As mentioned in the FAQ, these can cause oscillation on the Vcc rail, which can ultimately destroy your precious retro gear.

• We have the components for CA-PSU on order, but delivery dates for the chips get pushed around on a regular basis. If you have a re-capped original PSU, that should do the trick.

• Again, the number of PSUs you have tried does not play any role - it's the quality and cold-start behaviour that counts. However, I'll take this as "resolved" with the reset tool installed.

• Again, the number of PSUs you have tried does not play any role - it's the quality and cold-start behaviour that counts. However, I'll take this as "resolved" with the reset tool installed.

Any way you could adjust the firmware with either a delayed startup function, or a retry later, or something similar? Only bummer here is I have to have my Hard Drive fully functioning and boot once before I can reset and boot to a floppy. Makes it tricky to install a new os/format a new CF card etc as well.

• Any way you could adjust the firmware with either a delayed startup function, or a retry later, or something similar?

That "Firmware" is in the CPLD - a measly 36 macrocells that don't allow complex multi-way-decisions. What the state machine in that thing does is to wait for the FPGA's signal that it's ready for data. This happens after the FPGA has seen proper power on it's core and IO voltages. Then it sends the read-command to the SPI flash and transfers data endlessly.

What I assume is happening is that power drops for a short period - right in the middle of the data transfer process into the FPGA. I'm specifically saying "assume" because I can't reproduce it here. I do have bad power supplies, but it may be a combination of power supply, Amiga board and other peripherals that consume varying power during power-up. If you describe the exact setup of your system, we may be able to identify something that causes trouble on the 5V rail during startup.

• Cool, well I have a NTSC Amiga 1200 board, Rev 1D4. I of course tried it with NO accessories and stock and have the issue. I also have a ACA1221 (the first one apparently) but I've tried it without. Stock 3.1 roms. Maybe a one off firmware with a delay or reset? Something less complex instead of an option/tree?

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.