Installing CIA Adapter for Indivision AGA MK3

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello,

I recently purchased an Indivision AGA MK3 and Eizo Flexscan S1933 for my Amiga 1200.

I am trying to install them at the moment, but have hit an issue with the CIA connection.

The Lisa socket seemed to click into place OK, but when I came to do the CIA adapter, I realised my CIA is already socketed, so the adapter won’t fit (see attached photo).

This is how my Amiga 1200 (Rev F? motherboard) came when I bought it secondhand. I have had it professionally recapped and it has the “timing fix”. It’s been running for over a year with a 40 MHz ACA1233n without any issues; so, I don’t want to do anything to risk breaking it.

What are my options?

• Have I over-looked anything obvious?
    • Can I safely run the Indivision AGA MK3 without the CIA adapter (knowing there will be a loss of functionality)?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Will

• Yes, you can run Indivision AGA MK3 without the CIA adapter. You'll lose the live configuration and emulated filters on the HDMI audio, but it'll work. You'll find more information about getting the four signals from other places of your board in this forum.

• Thanks. I have a basic 800x600 setup working without the CIA adapter. For anyone trying this, it was a simple matter to remove the CIA adapter; it’s not soldered onto the MK3.

Without any configuration, PAL lowres/hires screens don’t come close to filling the screen (not that I’d expect them to at 800x600), but the picture quality over VGA is excellent.

I will install the
    IndivisionAGAmk3 software later this week and experiment with the configuration. I’m looking forward to trying Workbench at 640x512 with the monitor at 1280x1024.

I found http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Indivision_AGA_MK3/hacking and I’ll read through this forum to see what I can learn about the four signals.

I’m using the Eizo S1933 and Amiga analogue stereo outputs, so I’m not concerned about HDMI audio filters.

• I have this same issue with the CIA chip socketed. I had my board recapped and forgot that the service also socketed a couple of the problem chips. This is likely the work of tborro on the AmiBay forum. He does a great job.

I didn’t recall this until I went to replace my MK2 with the new MK3.

Is it worth replacing the MK2 without this live configuration convenience?

I’m going to have to buy another A1200 and ensure that this chip isn’t socketed when I have it recapped.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.