Strange Happenings (ACA500Plus)

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • So, this is strange.

I was booted into Workbench 3.1.4 on the CF card with the 3.1.4 image mapped in and i ran "The Emulator" (An old BBC Micro Emulator - This is really a 1.3 era piece of software). I pressed a key trying to reset the emulator when the tv signal disappeared (the Tv no longer detected a signal from the SCART interface) and a weird, almost buzzing noise was coming from the TV speakers.

ACA started showing 8.8 on the dismo and the dismo light was bright white. I reset and the machine booted but the dismo wouldnt clear, and when i went into the ACA menu the dismo was showing weird things, essentially a single segment on each digit was lit. I powered off an on, and it booted straight into the ACA menu, which it shouldn’t, because i have it configured to autobooot into expert profile #1, and the RTC on my trapdoor expansion had reset!!!

The main Config (f8) was fine, but my main expert profile (#1) had been wiped!! My other 2 profiles were intact

I removed the ACA and started the machine up and rant AmigaTestKit. All seems fine though that confirmed the clock had reset.

I've re-inserted the ACA and reconfigured my profile and everything seems fine now, but I was sweating for a while there! is this anything i should be worried about?

• is this anything i should be worried about?

It looks like the crashing software has hit a few DisMo registers, as you confirmed that funny things were shown on the display. You have to know that the non-volatile storage for profiles is in the DisMo, so it's possible (though unlikely) that a byte has been changed in the profile storage space.

The description of the monitor losing sync and a buzzing noise audible really points to the software totally going bonkers, writing to many memory/IO locations in a row. Since this normally happend in ascending order, I usually arrange my registers and procedures in a way that they require backwards-writing in order to do "destructive" things, but you can never exclude software to do really strange things when it crashes.

Long story short: Even if this is reproducable, I'd turn to the author of the BBC Micro emulator rather than attempting to keep it from happening on the ACA500plus side.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.