Time of Day clocks. Possible to speed them up?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Been awhile since being on here.

I was thinking if there is any way to speed up the Time of Day on a C64? Only reason I am interested in this is because there might be a game that was timed using the ToD. No matter how fast you accelerate Time Tunnel, it never actually changes. Only time it does is when you go from NTSC/PAL, but that would be for obvious reasons of 60hz/50hz timing differences. The ToD is affected by the power supply, or at least I thought? That may not be the case... I just now thought that if you used a PAL c64 on a US power supply, that ToD should of ran a bit faster, and I can't recall Time Tunnel being affected overall. I will look more into the game and try to pin point where it times itself. Just would be nice to speed things up in the game and go right through it.

Take care everyone. :)

• Is that really TOD, or just a CIA timer interrupt (which is also not affected by CPU acceleration)? Or maybe VIC-II vertical interrupt if PAL/NTSC does make a difference? Changing TOD frequency will not help in that case.

And no there is no way to change the TOD on Chameleon, it is always linked to the video standard in use. Or in cartridge mode it uses whatever the C64 gives.

• Ahhh! I didn't realize the CIA timer interrupt might also be something it is timed by or even the VIC-II vertical interrupt. Appreciate the input. I ain't all to well using the debugger in vice to mess with stuff, but might be worth looking into those areas.

I just now thought that if you used a PAL c64 on a US power supply, that ToD should of ran a bit faster

BTW, the power supply makes no difference - You'd actually have to travel to a country that uses a 60Hz power grid :)

However, like Peter said, its probably synced to some raster Interrupt.

• An easy method of verifying if TOD has an influence would be using a C64 Reloaded MK2 and choosing a different TOD clock in the remote control menu. We've introduced this in order to have a test bed for programs operated on an NTSC computer on a 50Hz grid or a PAL computer operated on an NTSC/60Hz grid. Remember that it was very common not too long ago that US military employees were using their C64/SX64 in Germany, resulting in this exact timing constellation.

That said, I've seen way more programs using CIA timers and raster IRQs for timing than TOD. Even the TI$ variable is not timed using TOD, which used to be very counter-intuitive for me (until I realized that C64 Basic is almost identical to VIC-20 Basic which needs to live without TOD hardware).

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.