Indivision ECS V2 ghosting

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.
Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I did send a patched version of the flicker fixer to Christian, but that obviously didn't improve it "enough" for him. Trouble with this patch is that I would have to do a new CE measurement (as the patch uses RF transistors in the output stage), which is out of proportion cost-wise.

I have a suspicion that it's not even the output stage, but just the cable, which is from a different manufacturer. The pinout is identical from V1 to V2. Can you verify if that makes a difference?

• I look forward to hearing what the result is after swapping them. Perhaps I will also construct my own cable to test also.

**Update**

Built a totally new cable and no appreciable change. :/ Oh well.

**Update 2**

Okay I need to try another real ECS Denise. I usually run Amiga RGB through OSSC because of the ghosting but two nights ago I was able to see the same issue but very VERY faintly with the RGB output too on the same Dell monitor on OSSC on HDMI.

If that doesn't prove what component it is I am wondering if this could be from a slightly less than healthy Video Hybrid component?

• I have quite bad ghosting on BenQ BL702A and BL912 when using ECS V2 VGA output. It get's a little bit better when using scanline emulation. It seems like the ghosting on the ECS V2 is even worse than on the ECS V1. ECS V1 has quite mild ghosting. Have no ghosting if using RGB output instead of VGA. Tried it on A500s, A500 Plus and A600s.

• Updating once more:

I pulled the 8373R4 Denise from one of my other A500s and tested it in my main A500 that has the IndivisionESC V2 in it. Here is what I found:

1. The ghosting is still present on Amiga RGB with high contrast white / black transitions. My first place to look for it is in the menus on PPaint which uses a white menu background and black text by default. A faint dark bar is able to be seen extending to the right of the selected item just like when I use the VGA output from the Indivision, though the Indivision makes it much more visible. I don't know at what point the Indivision takes gets the necessary data to generate an image but it seems to me the Amiga's Video Hybrid component is maybe the next place to look but I don't know where I could get a new one to try and Kipper2k doesn't seem to sell the replacement anymore and I do not have the skills to build one from the BOM if I got PCBs made. :/

2. I don't know how or if it is related but since pulling the Indivision I have not been able to duplicate the slight graphic corruption I sent my ACE2 back in to be checked out for. Once I got it back from repair the rate at which is appeared had become less frequent. However, with the real ECS Denise I have been totally unable to duplicate it even when I try to make it happen. (AmigaTestKit, AMOS Pro, and Workbench Install just resizing windows were sure triggers to make the glitch appear though it never seemed to hurt stability.)

• Update.

Have been testing between my ECS V1 and ECS V2. Turns out ECS V1 has no noticeable ghosting when using a good quality VGA cable. Also has a very sharp image on my BenQ BL 702A and BL 912. Both with 62Hz and 50Hz profiles.

I have tried the same VGA connector cables that comes with the ECS V1 on my ECS V2. ECS V2 will still have bad ghosting. Of course I also tried the same VGA cable that goes to the monitor. ECS V2 seems to have ghosting no matter what profile or custom profile I do.

I even created a profile to make the ECS V2 replicate ECS V1 62Hz profile. ECS V1 62Hz profile will make my BenQ screens switch to 1024x600@62Hz. I made the ECS V2 switch to the exact same resolution and everything by making a custom profile. Still it has the bad ghosting. And in general ECS V1 seems to have a sharper image VS ECS V2.

This is definately something going on with the ECS V2. I have both original Amiga PSUs which I have recapped and more modern PSUs. Makes no difference on the ECS 2. I even tried a smoothing cap between VCC and ground in Denise socket. No difference.

I do quite a bit of soldering in general. Is there any possible solutions using smoothing caps or resistors somewhere?