Indivision ECS V2 ghosting

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I still think it is highly sensitive to what monitor and vga cable that are used. Like for instance. My Sony monitor....

If I use it on my IndivisionECS V2, then I have never seen such ghosting on vertical scrolling in my entire life. It is in pinball dreams and fantasies. It is like really bad. And it is not only when using the IndivisionECS V2. When using that monitor on a 486dx33 ISA-Only motherboard with an Orchid ET4000 ISA card and playing Dynablaster in MS Dos 6.22, then all vertical lines will start to make a wave motion 0.5 centimeters to each side. And other games have troubles.

Yet I need that monitor, as it gives perfect picture on my other Amiga500. That is a revision 8a.1 board, full ECS chipset and with an ScanPlusECS scandoubler that only outputs 50hz refresh rate.

Yet on anything non-50hz and non-Windows98, it really sucks.

• I would like to add that using the GGLabs A520HD for Component output from the Amiga RGB to a CRT TV the ghosting is present for me. It is much less visible but I did start to notice it when working in PPaint the other night. So for me at least it is not limited to only the VGA out from the Indivision ECS v2.

• Any news how to fix the ghosting. I have a similar problem with my ECS v1.0 on my a600. I was interested in buying another one for my a500 but i want to solve this issue first.

Dear Jens, has there been any fixes with ECS Version 1?

thanks

Carlo

• I'm experiencing ghosting on both a viewsonic and a BENQ monitor only when i connect the indivision ECS V1. I checked the RGB out on a 15khz BENQ monitor and the ghosting disappear. Does JENS replies here?

• I do reply here, yes. I've purchased a Samsung monitor, as over in the German part of this forum, people reported that Samsung monitors show the worst ghosting.

• Jens,

just to let you know that my ViewSonic VA-951S connected to my A500 with Indi ECS V2 also experiences major ghosting issues.

K.

Edit: same configuration with ECS V1 did not experience ghosting.

• Ghosting here too with my HP E271i (1920x1080p) monitor.

I have to say, I was so discouraged by this and not having luck with the default screenmode that I actually removed the ECSv2. I also did not realize before purchasing it that the RGB port would no longer work. That's my fault for not researching it more.:|

Like others, I find the screenmode tool very confusing. I am glad to see software updates (as well as firmware) are coming in so I may want to give it another go.

I am curious about something. If it is found that source of the ghosting can be tied directly to the ECSv2's output signals, does that mean future FW updates can tweak these signals in such a way to eliminate it? When I hear about other monitors not showing the problem, that makes me think the monitor is just doing a better job of cleaning up the signal.

• I also did not realize before purchasing it that the RGB port would no longer work. That's my fault for not researching it more. :|

The RGB port does still work. Probably a small detail that you're missing? Cable connected at both ends?

I am curious about something. If it is found that source of the ghosting can be tied directly to the ECSv2's output signals, does that mean future FW updates can tweak these signals in such a way to eliminate it? When I hear about other monitors not showing the problem, that makes me think the monitor is just doing a better job of cleaning up the signal.

I have a suspicion that it's a mismatch between source and target termination - just need to find the time to unpack the Samsung monitor that I purchased just because of the ghosting reports here.

• Sorry, Jens. I was certain I read that the RGB port would no longer work since the actual Denise chip is taken out of the loop with the v2. Glad to hear it!

Thanks for the info on the ghosting. Hope you are able to track down the source. :)

• Still working on that flash issue, but we're making progress. My next step is to investigate the Indivision ECS V2 flash in an A600 setup. Already spoke to a customer on the phone, so I can replicate his setup exactly like his and hope that I can really brick the unit, so I can see what's going on. That'll be after easter, though. The A500 has now moved to the table where the new Samsung monitor is, so it's closer to where I will do the ghosting test. Getting there!

• To replicate the flashing issue, then try my setup, and flash an IndiECS V2 with 1.6 firmware....

Then use the following thing's:

- Amiga 600 Revision 1.5

- a604n with a "full-pin" socket.

- Kickstart 2.x version 37.350

This should make you able to replicate the bricking.

• 2.5 months since the last update... any progress?

I've tried connecting the Indivision ECS V2 to the VGA pass-through of my Piccolo RTG card, and the image is smearing much worse when routed through the Piccolo.
    With my limited understanding of electronics, can I suppose that it really is a matter of bad/missing termination there? How can we solve this?

• 2.5 months since the last update... any progress?

I've tried connecting the Indivision ECS V2 to the VGA pass-through of my Piccolo RTG card, and the image is smearing much worse when routed through the Piccolo.
    With my limited understanding of electronics, can I suppose that it really is a matter of bad/missing termination there? How can we solve this?

I've also tried on three Dell monitors of different years / models, a Vizio 46in TV from 2006, and a brand new Philips 32in UHD monitor. I have tried 6ft cables shipped with new monitor, several 3ft long cables with thick ferrite blocks on both ends and really heavy cable. Nothing makes any difference. I am confident enough in my soldering skills to perform any modifications to the board that might be needed.

• I can at least reproduce ghosting at very high output frequencies on a Samsung monitor. Seems like Samsung uses a different termination. I hope to have time for more investigation in the next few days.

• The updates are appreciated Jens, even if infrequent. I just want to post a pic of the artifacts I see on each of my monitors tested for reference.

Basically high contrast areas like white to black transitions bleed or badly ghost across the screen. It is very distinct in the test pattern of the Individision settings app and in the PPaint UI. (Moving the window on the test screen causes distortions in the pixels to the right all the way across the screen.) You can also see color bleed in the orange and yellow into the black of the color palette.

For now I have moved on to using an OSSC which provides a perfect picture but I would rather use an integrated solution for conversion.

• My Indivision ECS v2 is exhibiting ghosting across the board with the following monitors:

Iiyama Visionmaster 21” CRT, BNC connection

NEC 21” 6FG CRT

NEC 24” 2490WUXI LCD

LaCie 20” 320 LCD

With different VGA cables, thick, thin, original, with ferrite, without ferrite. Tested in A2000, A2000A, A1000 with Adapter.

The above are all professional monitors with original prices upwards of $1000.

(It also shows ghosting on some of my lower end monitors such as various consumer grade Dell, Samsung and NEC monitors). No ghosting with Cybervision, Spectrum etc.

My Indivision ECS v1 does not show any ghosting on any of these monitors.

I will be traveling to Germany in two weeks and can send (or stop by) with the particular Indivision v2.