Keyrah + C64 US keyboard + retropi on rbp3b cursor keys up/left how to enable

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi Pals8o:

I read all the wikis and help available, I know that is possible to map the vice and Amiga related emulators to use the cursor keys with this post title configuration.

My question is... how to use/enable the cursor up (shift + down) and cursor left (shift + right) keys functionality but on the retropi (or raspbian) at globally.

The vice for example have a keyrah keymap available. There is also something like I can configure/activate on the retropi/raspbian linux to do some like?

Any tip about will be highly appreciated.:love:

I know that the keyrah do a amazing work to enable a standard c64/vic20 keyboard act as a usb keyboard. And this is very cool!<3

I only want to know if I can dispense a normal usb keyboard to program into the raspberry pi even for C64/C128 with for example the TRSE compiler "https://lemonspawn.com/turbo-rascal-syntax-error-expected-but-begin/".

There are cool tools to do that today, and the raspbian is in my opinion the right SO to do that.

Thank You Pals and

Best Regards

• I think this can be done somehow, but i have no experience with that kind of stuff - you need to dig into linux keymaps

https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/dumpkeys.1.html

https://linux.die.net/man/8/setkeycodes

etc... if i understood it correctly, what you are looking for is a "compose key" definition. eg similar to how "altgr+e" produces the euro symbol (on a german keyboard at least) you need a definition that says "shift+cursor down" produces "cursor up".

sorry, cant help there... it would be interesting to know a solution though :)

• That said, this function would be quite counter-intuitive if you control a modern text editor and want to use shift-cursor to mark text. Once you start changing the key behaviour, you'll open a huge can of worms that you'll have to collect one by one when doing everyday work. There are quite a few compromises you need to make if "everything" has to work with only 66 keys, compared to 105 keys on a European keyboard.

The topic is complex and tedious. I'm curious to see what you come up with - please keep us posted!

• That said, this function would be quite counter-intuitive if you control a modern text editor and want to use shift-cursor to mark text. Once you start changing the key behaviour, you'll open a huge can of worms that you'll have to collect one by one when doing everyday work. There are quite a few compromises you need to make if "everything" has to work with only 66 keys, compared to 105 keys on a European keyboard.

The topic is complex and tedious. I'm curious to see what you come up with - please keep us posted!

Mr. Jens:

I realize that the Linux can difference between the left shift and the right shift, the thing I need to do is to trap only the right shift if is pressed with the cursor down or cursor right.

Then if You want to select text with the cursor keys only need to press also the left shift. I don't know if Linux can handle more than 3 (three) keys pressed at a time. DOS can't handle it. But I think Linux is much better SO than DOS.

I send this question to the official raspbian facebook group too. I know that the "problem" is not a keyrah issue, but SO (or current program) concern.

I'm Delphi programmer and know that the keypress can be handle very well. Just to learn how to do the same on Linux...Let see!!!

I'm think that the other way to solve this "limitation" is to attach a small usb number pad keyboard that have the numeric and cursor keys.

That I sense is the more obvius solution. But to know how to make a custom linux keymap is challenging.

Thank You very much Mr. Jens/Mr. Tobias for Your time and Your advices...

Best Regards

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.