New Buster chip

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi.

This is a very interesting project. I would like to ask this question though:

I have an Amiga 4000/030 with Buster 11 and a CyberVision64, Toccata and BigRAM plus 256 MB all working without any apparent problems.

What would I gain by replacing Buster 11 with Buster 12 ?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

• The cards you're mentioning here are all PIO cards, not using DMA at all. Further, they are all built on logic devices that are not re-configurable, so we cannot do any dirty tricks with a different/faster bus protocol, like we might be able to do with FPGA-based cards.

IN summary, Buster-12 will probably not give you any advantage. It is mainly meant for new systems that don't have a Buster at all, and for systems with a -9 Buster, where bus lockups happen "out of the blue".

Jens

• Thanks for the honest reply.

Maybe I will wait until Zorro III cards come out that are able to perform better with Buster 12, to justify the upgrade from Buster 11.