Indivision ECS v2 Horizontal Axis issues, mouse and joystick

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi

am having a little trouble with the ECSv2, graphics look great however I'm having issues with the horozontal axis on both mouse and joystick being jumpy however if I put OCS Denise back the joystick and mouse return to normal. Am using on an Amiga 500 revision 6a with aca500plus.

I read in the wiki about the hot fix and tried to apply it however it seems to fail the screen goes black and the amiga appears to reboot. I then have to use the rescue disk to bring back the picture.

Thanks

• If you're using the latest config tool and firmware (which comes with the latest config tool), then the hotfix should not be required. Also, if the rescue disk has been made with the latest config tool, you automatically have the latest firmware with that.

We've only had one case of a failing A500 board, and that was also a Rev.6a, which is very popular. I did buy the board from the customer so we can investigate the issue at some point, but so far, I didn't get around to it. Until now, it was a one-off problem, and no other customer reported problems with a Rev.6a board.

Let's check the obvious stuff first: Are there any extras in the computer and has it ever been repaired? I'm mainly thinking of the input multiplexer near the joystick/mouse ports.

• nothing internal other than an original a501 and no leaky battery. Tried both with the aca500plus attached and removed Just in case it was my setup

Looks like it has been re capped at some point as a couple have red marker pen dots on them.

I’m not familiar with the multiple or so am not sure what I’m looking for both nothing in terms of chips stand out has having been replaced.

I have Diagrom on the aca and used it to check the ports both left and right flicker with the ecs vs steady with Denise.

• Am using an original commodore power supply. Does not appear to have been modified and appears to be in good condition.

When I got the Amiga earlier in the year the selller said the power supply had been PAT tested and passed if that means anything.

• When I got the Amiga earlier in the year the selller said the power supply had been PAT tested and passed if that means anything.

After more than 30 years, I'd expect the output capacitor to have leaked. No need for testing, but a need for exchanging. Do you have a spare power supply to test with? The models from A600 and A1200 will also do. However, most "new" power supplies are not up to the task, so please read up on power supplies before you buy anything new. I recommend not to spend any money yet, but isolate the fault first.

• Unfortunately no this is the only power supply I have.

I can pickup another original power supply quite cheaply locally even possibly another untested machine to have for spare parts and am not against doing so.

overtime I do plan on expanding the Amiga further with an a1200 accelerator and rapid road. So it has been in the back of my mind that power supply could be an issue.

At this stage would you recommend one of your power supplies knowing the expansion plans or pickup a whole spare untested system cheap for parts and a second power supply in case there is something up with this machine?

• At this stage would you recommend one of your power supplies knowing the expansion plans or pickup a whole spare untested system cheap for parts and a second power supply in case there is something up with this machine?

If you're in the 230V-part of this planet, then the CA-PSU is the best choice, as it's the only one with cable drop compensation. I've just had a report from a customer in Spain who was finally able to close his A1200 after more than a decade, because his previous power supplies all required to add additional power through the floppy power connector of the main board. His machine is heavily expanded, and he now enjoys a completely silent PSU that produces almost no heat compared to what he had before.

If you're in 110V territory, it'll take some more time until I have a solution - my own tests showed that I finally have found a vendor who complies with DoE Level VI regulations, but I'd like to have that in writing before I commit to stocking a large quantity of them. The lab is short-handed due to Covid-19 - the usual excuse of 2020...

• Revived my ca-psu today which I do like better size and weight wise. unfortunately it has not has not solved the issue. Still having issues with horizontal movement but fine with ocs Denise.

• We've had one more case where mouse didn't work right with Indivision ECS V2 on a certain motherboard. The customer resolved it with a different mother board, and I bought that board from him. We have Indivision ECS V2 bug fixes scheduled for this week (Peter is already on it), and we discussed this unresolved mouse problem with that one board yesterday. We did give it a fairly low priority yesterday, but this one just bumped it higher. I'll attempt to reproduce it with the board I bought back then and push that on Peter's todo-list (not that he's bored or anything..).

• I ended up getting another Amiga with a cosmetically better case than mine. It turned out to be another rev6a

and on a side note was very lucky it was stored in its side and the battery only leaked on the ram expansion.

This 6a works great with ecs.

While I was building my new Amiga out of both systems I took a close look at each of the boards and couldn’t see any difference in any of the chips. It does look like some of the long skinny packs have been replaced. Just looking at the variation in Color which is not present on the other machine.

If it is of any help I can email photos of each of the boards. I would attach them now but can’t figure out from my phone.

Good news is now this is working I can start putting my Amiga funds towards an accelerator for the aca500+:)

• Don't dump that other board just yet - we do have a solution in form of a new firmware for Indivision ECS V2, and are only carving out a few details on the config tool before a release. Not sure if this can happen today, or if it'll be next week - just monitor the Wiki.

• Saw the update on the wiki, so flashed the ecs using the 2.5 rescue adf and put it back in the rev 6a bored that was not working.

Great news, ECS works perfectly.

with this bored now working with ecs ill probably try get a hold of and put it in a checkmate 1500 case and build an almost big box amiga. Once I work out plan ill be back to order a few more parts.

• Don't dump that other board just yet - we do have a solution in form of a new firmware for Indivision ECS V2, and are only carving out a few details on the config tool before a release. Not sure if this can happen today, or if it'll be next week - just monitor the Wiki.

Glad to see that my old board was put to good use! ;-)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.