ACA500+ related - CPU and ROM in Amiga needed ?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello

Maybe a strange question...

Has anybody tried it before: since the ACA500+ already includes CPU and ROM's is it mandatory to also have the CPU and ROM chip populated in the Amiga 500 ?

Simply put, would an Amiga without CPU and Kickstart ROM boot if I use it with an ACA500+ ?

If nobody has tried or knows answer, I can test it myself by extracting those chips just didn't wanted to do it unless really necessary.

Thx.

Thomas

• Simply put, would an Amiga without CPU and Kickstart ROM boot if I use it with an ACA500+ ?

You can remove the ROM chip from it's socket and everything will work fine.

The CPU still has a single function: It generates the E-Clock for the CIA chips. However, if you want to remove it in order to keep heat out of the computer and reduce bus load (both are valid motivations), you can have the ACA500plus generate the E-clock. There's a small solder-jumper on the ACA500plus: If you close that, you MUST remove the 68000 from the main board, as that will feed the E-clock signal into the computer from the accelerator's side (if you don't remove the 68000, you risk damage to either the CPU or the ACA500plus).

• Hi Jens

Thank you very much for clear and quick response.

Just as a side note, my reasons for that question are much simpler ... I intend to build an A500+ from scratch with that new PCB sold by Bob and my scope is to buy only the chips I really need ... for example I will use an Indivision ECS V2 hence no need to buy a Denise chip.

BTW, the ACA500+ I bought last winter is working flawless on my classic A500.

• Please remember to clearly mark the ACA500plus as "modified for your self-built mainboard", so you don't accidentally connect it to a computer with CPU inside.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.