Posts by angelo.carzis

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

Jens,

I have this issue which I am curious as to why it's occurring ...

My system: WB 3.1.4, A2000 system, Buddha IDE 20th edition, latest driver

When my CDrom drive is attached to the southern most IDE port (south being the front of the A2000), the Amiga doesn't always detect it on startup.

When the drive is attached to the northern most IDE port, there are no issues.

In the devs mountlist entry, the unit number is obviously being changed accordingly.

Note, I also had this intermittent issue with WB 3.1 (prior to upgrading to 3.1.4) with the CDRom in the southernmost port.

It didn't occur to me to swap IDE ports at that time.

I can live with the current arrangement. All is fine.

I'm just curious as to why this is occurring.

Thank-you.

Jens,

I am also having issues with my CDRom (connected to the Buddha controller). Sometimes the boot sequence detects it, and sometimes it doesn't.

It occurred to me that I recently upgraded the firmware on my RTG card (ZZ9000).

This evening, I removed the card from the Amiga. It appears the jitteriness is gone. Mind you, I did not spend enough time on this issue (lack of time on weekdays) and will review further on the weekend. I am suspecting there is some sort of conflict being caused by the RTG card. There is one configurable item on the card - whether or not to use IRQ 2 or 6. I have no idea what it does. I tried both options and there is no difference.

I reverted the firmware on the RTG card. The issues remain (cdrom sometimes fails detection, mouse jiterinness).

There is some conflict being caused by the RTG card which wasn't visible and/or present when the 68030 card was in the system.

As for the CDRom, this was a recent addition to my setup and was never used with my 68030 card.

I will speak with the RTG card manufacturer. Can you please tell me whether or not the Buddha or Micromys use any of the interrupt lines.

Thank-you.

Jens and team,

My setup:

A2000, OS 3.1, buddha ide - cf card + cd rom, megachip, 6mb ram card, ecs v2, lyra, micromys

My mouse movement is not fluid. It is difficult to use the system effectively and I'm getting a bit frustrated.

This was not always the case. This is a recent occurrence. What changed? ...

I added a cdrom drive to my system, I removed the 68030 card (it's on temp loan to someone) - currently rendering my RTG card disabled.

And I also added the micromys driver to the system - note, I also did a quick test by removing it.

It made no difference. I removed the cdrom drive. Again, no difference.

The mouse jitteriness is more prevalent is some specific apps. For instance, it's bad very in Pro Draw.

Any ideas as to what may be causing this?

Thank-you.

Seems I have it working but I can't confirm.

The proper device is buddhascsi.device (as mentioned in other posts).

I modified a file in DosDrivers by using the above device name and selecting unit 0.

When I perform an info command in CLI, my device appears.

I'm not familiar with using CDRoms on an Amiga.

Is the CDRom format a standard?

I.E. Can the Amiga read a PC formatted CDRom or is it limited to reading Amiga formatted CDRoms?

I placed one of my old PC cds in the drive and the Amiga can't seem to read it.

Update: I created an Amiga Cd from some file I downloaded from the web (from one of the popular CD collections).

I can read the CD. All is fine.

Jens and team,

I was able to pick up an IDE CDRom for next to nothing. I want to mount it to my existing A2000 system (KS/WB 3.1) which it equipped with a Buddha controller.

Note:

I downloaded the Buddha install disk which seems to do the job of setting up everything for CDRom use.

Once it reaches the point to detect the CDRom using FindDevice (buddha_atapi_device), a dialog appears with an error: Can't find the Buddha Semaphore.

I let the software continue but installation seems to be unsuccessful.

What must I do at this point?

Thank-you.

Jens,

I was playing around with the Amiga for a bit. I must have been tired and didn't pay attention.

I know it was my fault so I was willing to pay for the repairs or just buy a new Buddha.

The 22 ohm resistor looks good. I measured the resistance. I'll look for a diode.

Thank-you Jens.

Jens,

My Buddha IDE causes my Amiga 2000 to boot to a yellow screen.

This is with no cards installed, except for the Indivision ECS v2 which I just installed today (works great).

The Buddha had no drive connected to it. I also tried with the DOM. It makes no difference, I get a yellow screen.

I also tried all the card slots. It makes no difference.

Note: I sent you an email a last weekend stating I've been having some erratic issues with my A2000 system and booting. I figured out what may have caused all my issues. I have an IDE to CF card reader that is placed in one of the Amiga's 'brackets'. I plugged in a CF card backwards and broke some of the adapter's pins. The CF adapter is built stupidly to allow for backwards card insertion. I replaced it.

Since that time I was able to re-install WB on a new CF card. But I subsequently had issues booting.

I re-examined the Buddha today since I had to work on the ECS and hence this yellow screen problem.

Any suggestions?

Can I send in the card for analysis if need be?

Thank-you.

Jens,

I have a few spare SATA CDRom drives lying around the house (who needs these nowadays)?

I've downloaded pretty much every Amiga CD Rom that's freely available on the 'Net (Aminet collection, etc ...)

So I figure, let me put one of these CDRom on my Amiga. I happen to have a spare IDE to SATA converter which works fine since I tested it on the Buddha using a SATA SSD.

My situation....

When I plug in the CDRom to one of the IDE 'ports' of the Buddha, the hard drive no longer boots (the insert disk screen appears).

Any ideas as to why this is so? I would give this a try with an IDE cd-rom, but I don't happen to have one.

Can you explain what the boot sequence is. Thank-you.

(I just realized, there are a couple of local surplus computer shops nearby. They pick up a lot of inventory from companies who are disposing of their old computers or individuals that want to toss out their old stuff. One fellow was nice enough to give me a SATA-33 IDE cable for nothing. I guess I can pick up a used IDE cdrom for next to nothing and give it a try).

You might have a fake Lexar card then, as my personal expereience is that Lexar and Sandisk are fully X3T9 compatible. However, expensive brands like this (and also maybe Transcend) are targets for counterfeit products.

Anyway, good to hear that it works.

I wouldn't be surprised. The Lexar CF card was inexpensive and also purchased from Ebay.