Posts by angelo.carzis

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

We're currently trying to compile a version of buddhascsi.device that runs from the boot drive - not an easy task, but I remember we've had a case like this before that wasn't really resolved. Would be nice if we can just offer a file in the Wiki that does what you'd expect.

Jens,

I was one user who raised the need/request of having buddhascsi.device on file. This will allow the use of the Buddha for strictly cd-rom use.

Timm and Jens,

With asimcdfs installed, I have resolved the lockups.

Asimcdfs has a configuration tool/app.

I bumped up the stack usage size to 50k from the default value of 2k.

I have tried several CDs and even installed some software from CD. There has been no issue since.

Everything now works fine.

I suspect a similar issue was causing me problems with both CacheCDFS & CDFileSystem.

Did you use the latest Buddha updates (see Wiki) that make CD installation much easier than the old Elaborate Bytes drivers?

Jens,

I have updated my DOM with the new 1.4 software package.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to make use of it on an existing system.

Consider this setup:

The installer DOM in the first IDE port

The CD drive on the second IDE port

The installer won't do anything.

Perhaps I should attach both the hard disk and CD Rom to the 2nd IDE port ?

I am currently having issues accessing CDs.

When I click on a data CD, the contents are displayed fine.

But when I access a folder or installer within a CD, workbench will eventually freeze/lockup.

This is irrespective of which IDE device handler/file system I use, be it CacheCDFS, AsimCDFS or CDFileSystem.

The CD drive is connected as slave on the second IDE channel on my A2000.

If it matters, the CD Drive is an LG brand, model # GCE-8523.

Any suggestions as how to fix this is appreciated.

Jens,

I found the manual for this CD drive on the web.

There are 3 possible drive configurations::

master

slave

cable select

I have no jumpers set, therefore, no mode is actually set.

I don't know what the default mode is.

(would such info be available from the Amiga side?)

Furthermore, I can say that the unit is connected to the second IDE port.

As for the new installer, I did download the new upgrader and my DOM was upgraded.

I don't currently have a need to re-install WB to any new device so I have not tried the installer.

I have put (replaced) the vampire back into the amiga simply for the fact that it has onboard networking.

This is very convenient as I have access to my NAS from the Amiga.

Once network support is available for Pistorm/EMU86, I guess the Pistorm may become a

permanent fixture and then having the CD drive available to the system would be nice.

I am currently experimenting with a Pistorm on my A2000.

I am booting OS 3.2 from the Pistorm and I have my CD-ROM installed on the 2nd IDE port of the Buddha.

Upon bootup, I get a requester stating 'cannot open buddhascsi.device' and another 'close the following windows: cache cdfs'.

Of course there is no such error if I boot from a drive connected to the buddha rather than the pistorm.

Any help resolving this appreciated. Thank-you.

Jens,

I received the Lyra.

The item was listed as received damaged by Canada Post Tracking about 10 days ago. I was in shock.

When it got to me yesterday, the packaging was butchered... The package was wrapped in a plastic bag and the package within was wet and crumpled up. Fortunately, it was wrapped well and the innards were intact.

My Amiga is alive once again. Thank-you.

Jens, one of my recent interests is looking at Kickstarter projects. I find this web site amazing.

Giving opportunity to builders to fund their projects based on actual customer demand. I have already contributed to several projects.

Just recently, a fellow decided to build a modern Amiga tank mouse (you may have seen the project. I contributed as well).

The builder was successful in raising ~150k Euros for this project.

The A2000 is the system which is least served in terms of accelerators. You had mentioned (long time ago) that you have an idea for one.

You can try the Kickstarter approach. This will allows you to set a project end goal ($) which is viable for you. If the goal is not met, no need to proceed any further. I find this approach really smart on the part of Kickstarter.

This was just a thought.

Jens, I'm placing an order for new Lyra.

I'm impatient and it's inexpensive.

I'm not even sure it's worth the trouble trying to fix the current one.

On the other hand, if I still have issues after I receive the replacement, I will re-examine this at that time.

Thank-you for your help.

It would help more if you looked at the keyboard LEDs when powering up: Any Light => there's power. That's all I'd like to know for a first step.

Lyra3 comes with a Mini-DIN connector, so you are most likely using some adapter. Please double-check if that adapter works fine, wiggle on all connectors.

Jens, when I turn the computer on or insert the keyboard to the Lyra, the keyboard LEDs do flash.

Mini-DIN: wiggling it. I though the same thing. It does not help.

Jens,

Keyboard entry on my A2000 stopped working last night. I use a PS/2 keyboard via Lyra3, because I don't have a real A2000 keyboard.

Just now, I tried the keyboard on an old PC. It works.

Is there anything that I can do as this point or simply just replace the Lyra3 with a new unit?

Thank-you.

I experimented a bit yesterday and found some interesting results. Sharing this information.in case anyways observes the same issues that I faced ..

I decided to change the IDE channel on the CDRom from master to slave and place the CDRom back on the IDE port which was originally intermittent. The result now is, there are no boot problems.

What I observed is that if the CDRom is unit/device 0 in the mountlist, issues will arise.

If it is anything other than 0, there are no issues. This may be an OS issue.