Posts by SID-6581

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

How many games are there on vic20 that use more than one disk? most arent even multiple files :)

There are one .d81 file or four .d64 files of Realms of Quest V, so that we urgently need swaplist support ... there is no way around it. ;-)

Indeed yes - I've fixed the ROM filename typo now.

I don't know how the Megacart works, but I guess there'll be some kind of bank mapping hardware in cartridge, which isn't replicated in the core - so for now the answer's "no" - but for the future.... maybe?

Likewise with .d81 support - no promises, but there's plenty of room left in the core, so again... maybe..

Thanks, maybe the support of swap lists fits on your maybe list, too. :-)

I'll take another look at this soon, and see if I can see what's going on.

I have also tinkered a bit with the audio. I was easy to arrange for the middle channel to be the same volume as the other two - but now I want to add a volume boost to all three channels, since stereo mode is now quieter than the lookup-table-based mono mode! (Note that sample playback will still be noisy in stereo mode - that's correct behaviour and matches real hardware.)

Nice that you have a look what you can do with the menu. I'm also happy that you made progress with the sound. Thank you for your efforts Alastair. :-)

So far it has only been possible to change a TOS version by changing the TOS.IMG file. While TOS 2.06 must be used for my HDD file, TOS 1.62 is best for Lotus Enhanced Version, for example. Changing the TOS versions manually is therefore very cumbersome. Is it possible to change the TOS version on the Turbo Chameleon 64 just as easily via the menu as on the MISTer?

Thanks, I haven't tested the STE Lotus remake yet - or the Metal Slug stage 1 - I want to try them both out. I can't think of any core changes that could cause this problem to appear now if it wasn't there before, but I'll see if I can reproduce it.

(Note that TOS won't notice that the amount of memory has changed unless you do a hard reset.)

So now Lotus is running flawlessly again.

The solution was actually that I had to do a hard reset after loading my STEcolor.cfg.

So far I thought that loading a config file would do the hard reset itself.

Without wishing to disturb your very interesting discussion, I would like to point out a possible mistake in the Atari ST core.

Please refer to the attached screenshot that the, in 2021 published,

"Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge Enhanced for Atari STE".
    http://www.indieretronews.com/…-challenge-ste-retro.html

has image disturbances for some time in the form of crossbars appearing again and again.

I tried different TOS versions and also different memory sizes without the error being fixed.

With the first versions of the Atari ST core, I didn't had this bug. It didn't matter which TOS version or memory size was used.

Can you reproduce this bug?

Cheers

SID-6581

That's very strange - I tested it before release and it worked OK for me - and I've just tested it again, switching between configs which have different hard drive images in different directories. The are some minor framework changes from the C16 core and a build optimisation which shrinks the firmware a bit - but otherwise no changes which should affect hard disk images.

I'll give some thought to how best to debug this.

Thanks for the sound info.

I apologize for my error message because it is incorrect. After copying the backup copy of my hardfile to my SD card, hardfile 0 is loaded correctly. My previous hard disk file was probably faulty. I should have checked that beforehand .... sorry.

Hello Alastair,

after I was able to load hard disk file 0 very well from the HDD folder,

I just downloaded the new firmware from October 18, 2021 to my TC64V1.

The hard disk file is no longer loaded, although everything is displayed correctly

in the configuration (F12)... hmmm ... am I the only one with that error?

Have you changed anything in the meantime?

Of course, I also tried to re-create my STEHDD.cfg.

Cheers
    SID-6581

P.S .: Have you been able to make progress with the sound problem?

I noticed from the start that the sound wasn't reproduced properly by the Atari ST Core. Since I had never owned a real Atari ST, I thought that an Atari ST really sounds that bad ... ;-)

Yesterday I listened to it more closely and tested it. I especially noticed with Test Drive 2 that I started from my HDD. The whole time there was an annoying noise (rush) that was clearly audible. The new Lotus STE Versions doesn't sound good either.

The Atari Core was configured as STE with TOS 2.06US and stereo sound. The American TOS version has the advantage that the white borders are significantly smaller than with the German version.

After switching from stereo to mono, the noise had become significantly quieter, but was still audible. What could be the reason?

Thanks for testing. If it says "Hard Disk: NONE" it means either the core failed to find the hardfile, or wasn't able to validate the directory it's in. It's in a subdirectory, yes?

Yes the harddiskfile is in the folder HDD.

STEHDD.cfg works correct if the harddiskfile is in the root folder.

I've just released a new version which should fix the hard drive writing issues:

http://retroramblings.net/?page_id=1705

I'm not sure about the config file problems - I found and fixed two oddities but they don't completely explain the symptoms SID-6581 was seeing.

After I tested the core version 10/10/2021 I report the following:

1. The writing problem on the HDD is solved on my TC64V1. Thank you!

2. The STEHDD.cfg problem is different now.

After I was able to start a Hardfile 0 very well manually, the configuration displayed "Hard Disk: Unit 0".

At this point in time the STEHDD.cfg was saved. After restarting and loading the STEHDD.cfg
    Hardfile 0 was no longer loaded. "Hard Disk: NONE" is now displayed in the configuration.

In the core from October 2nd, 2021 there was "Hard Disk: Unit 1" displayed.

Thanks Alastair at least an improvement. ;-)

Now you just have to still manage that there "Hard Disk: Unit 0" after loading the STEHDD.cfg is displayed.

Cheers

SID-6581

Looks like I have problems with hard disk -support. If I delete something inside HD-image (3 Gb file, 6 x 512 Mb partitions), that file comes back after reboot. Tried same image with Hatari-emulator and there copying and deleting works. Has anybody else had such problems?

Yes me too on TC64V1.

After a few tests, I have now succeeded in loading my vhd-file as hard file 0. :-))

But there is obviously a problem with saving the configurations.

When I load the saved STEHDD.cfg file after a restart, the HDD is no longer loaded. In the menu I can now see "Hard disks: Unit 1". But "Unit 0" should have been written there.

I also tried to save a configuration as Blank.cfg in which the game disk of "Lotus STE Enhanced" is loaded. When loading the configuration, the game was not loaded by autobooting. That only works if I load the disk manually myself and do a reset.

The other settings are all saved correctly, only the settings under "Strorage" apparently not.

I have a TC64V1.

Cheers

SID-6581

The ST has a higher pixel clock then Amiga for example (8 MHz vs 7 MHz), but still 320 pixels in the active area. That means more pixels in the border/blank area. With a little hacking, it's possible to blank the border (using the hde signal), but it's up to the scaler in the display what size the picture will be.

To help Alastair, it would be useful if you describe the "little hacking" in more detail.

I don't think so - but I'm not entirely sure. Remember that I didn't write this core, I merely ported it to TC64, and while I don't know much about the Atari ST, I think the border sizes are accurate. (Or at least would be if the scandoubler's disabled and its displayed on a CRT using SCART.)

Sounds good. You can change the border size and, as far as I know, switch them off ... at least on the Mister.

In this video at 9:14 you can see that the menu has a "border setting".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLU9d1WQOWE