Posts by rcade

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

I sent it... Actually twice. The first time it came back from customs saying they couldn't verify it was from Germany. The second time it did go through and says it arrive in Germany a couple of days ago. Hopefully you will see it soon. I printed out this discussion thread and put it in the box with it.

Hello Tobias,

Yes, it appears my Chameleon is defective. I have tried 3 different known-working PS2 keyboards and none work with the Chameleon. I have held "space" and "1" and nothing changes. It blinks the 3 lights on the keyboard showing power when you power up the Chameleon, but no keys do anything.

I played with it some more today in standalone more- I don't think it's the keyboards at all. It seems to me that the Chameleon is booting to the menu and just locking up. The keyboard doesn't do anything, but neither do the buttons on the device. The only thing that responds is holding the red button- it will reboot if I hold it for a bit. That's it. Is that normal?

I made sure the device is powered by a good 2A+ supply.

I tried to use it in standalone mode, but no PS/2 keyboard I have on hand will work with it.

I have one Microsoft keyboard that usually works with everything unusual. Lights blink when Chameleon is powered on, it boots to the menu, but I can't control it.

Another HP keyboard I have never even blinks the lights, menu boots, can't control it.

Another old keyboard I have (Keytronics) - the Chameleon never even boots with this connected.

Hello,

I have just received my V2 (I used to have a V1 many years ago) and am having stability issues.

My hardware:

NTSC Breadbin, 1984 board. Original PLA, original ROMs (switchable JiffyDOS). I went back to basics to make sure. I am using a high-end vintage power supply replacement from the 80's (I forget the brand) that works with REU and 1541U2, and never had issues with it.

1) When I turn on the computer, the Chameleon "init" screen loops. It will appear to load and reset and load again from 1-3 times before the menu finally comes up. This seems odd and may be a clue to other issues.

2) Most of the time, once I choose a disk image (G64) to emulate in the disk drive, it will mount and then I choose "reset all C64 memory" in the main menu, but the disk will not load and the machine is locked up - no Chameleon buttons work anymore and I have to power cycle. I have disconnected the real drive, disabled the IEC port (in the Chameleon menu), and turned off the Turbo function. Often times, I can power cycle the 64 and go through the exact same process and it will work, but sometimes it takes several tries.

3) Many G64's won't load. Now, these are my own G64's from my own project (C64 Preservation Project) so I can control the process pretty well. I have converted them to the "old" style G64 where it doesn't use any advanced G64 features. However, they either lock up the Chameleon completely right after/during mounting, or else they just don't load- no files found, or just solid disk light and activity light is stuck and again no Chameleon buttons work. I am happy to send examples to developers and help with this... This is hard to distinguish from problem #2 above, but some have never loaded.

Because of #1, I am thinking maybe I have a bad unit, or is this just stability with NTSC and/or the V2? I don't recall having these issues exactly with V1 on this same C64 but it's been a few years since I owned it. I did have issues with G64 compatibility back then but I don't remember having to power cycle all the time to regain control.