Posts by retroinasia

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

I am trying to follow the instructions above, but every time when I want to 'save ROM image' (with F4 and browsing to CHAM64 folder), I am getting error message "write protect on" ! I have tried with 2 different SD cards and both are not 'write protected'. I can connect them to Windows and copy files to it. Any idea where this "write protect" message is coming from? I am unable to save ROMS to SD cards...

PZ1 *is* a simple screw. It's just that you probably used a PH1 screw driver, which happens to be the wrong tool.

Trouble is that Thermoplast screws are not available with PH1 head. I could go for Torx, but that's even more uncommon.

Why a thermoplast screw is needed? Why not use a standard screw like in Epyx fast loader cartridge which fits with standard PH1 screw driver? Users should not have to molest the cartridge just to be able to open it. Especially when additional parts like RR-Net needs to be installed. Not every user has a repairshop at home with all kind of tools. My thermoplast screw is already "screwed" and has been replaced with a standard screw......

As I said in an earlier post, I had to use all the force I have to open it. As I also stated, I am working as an electrician and have been doing so for almost 25 years so I have fairly high strength for screwing/unscrewing. I had a screwdriver that was fitting good enough to get some really good force/torgue without damaging the screw, in my opinion. The screw still got slightly damaged because I had to use enormous force. It took all the strength I had. My wrist actually hurt afterwards. LOL.

While I had absolutely no problems unscrewing the screw on an Epyx fast loader cartridge I had laying around. Nice to hear you got it solved on your own :)

Lucky that I am based in Asia and it is pretty cheap to repair and to get the parts.. I am kind of technical but not in a sense of soldering... In Europe it would have cost me at least 2-3x more to fix...

I received my Chameleon64 about 3 weeks ago together with a RR-Net module. I had to open the cartridge to install the RR-Net. It was really a disaster to unscrew! Even with lots of force, I couldn't get it open. In fact the screw was damaged. I brought it to a friend (having repair shop) at the computer market here who finally got this bloody cartridge open! Now I was able to attach the RR-Net and close it with a different screw.

However, next problem appeared: when connecting to a PC using Chaco the cartridge was not being detected anymore! I tried different cables, different computers but no luck.. It seems the USB socket to the PC was defective. I am not sure if it was like that before or caused by the force to open the cartridge. Sending back the cartridge to Germany is no sense since I am based in China and Thailand. It would cost more to ship/replace than if I would repair it locally. Besides it would take a long time....

At the end I brought it to a repair shop here in Pattaya and replaced/solder a new USB socket on the cartridge for me! I have paid 500 Thai Baht (14 Euro) and now everything is finally working fine!

My suggestion to icomp: please don't use this bloody screw anymore which is difficult to unscrew for an amateur! Not everybody has professional equipment at home to open a cartridge like this. Just use a simple screw. When selling with additional parts (like RR-Net module) then just leave the cartridge open with a separate screw. Because the cartridge has to be opened anyway to install this part!

It was a frustrating start but I am happy I managed to solve it by myself...