Posts by turrican9

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

Same message for you: Use AutoResolution, it will have the same number of lines every frame, just like you've programmed for your MK2 unit. No guesswork - if the monitor supports 50Hz, then AutoResolution is *very* likely to work, and it's perfectly V-Synced.

Very interesting feature this AutoResolution. So you can still make your custom resolution profile and then just checkmark this 'Autoresolution' feature and get smooth scrolling? So it will not force you to a specific resolution profile? Because I am very particular in making 1:1 profiles. Making the scandoubled profiles overscan show correctly as it would if the screen was plugged directly to RGB on a 15KHz capable screen. For me I usually end up in the 720x576 range for PAL and my perfect results comes if the screen switches to that specific resolution and 50Hz. Making perfect patterns and everything. With the MK2 I have 720x576 in both lo-res and workbench high res laced, so there is almost no switch delay. Yes, I know the more modern MK3 has solved the switch delay, just like the ECS V3. And yes, I know this is perfect for me and my needs, but other people might prefer other types of profiles, like filling the screen with most games that does not use the overscan area.

If so, would this feature be possible on the ECS V3 and TC64/TC64 V2?

This wouldn't be "tear now and then", but "static tear point at random positions" - although we'd have to investigate if the static 1s delay for switching input-to-output modes results in a static tear point that ends up in an invisible spot - not excluded without investigation.

However, investigation means that you need to test "switching from any screen mode to PAL", having a logic analyzer or at least a 2-channel scope connected to the Amiga-VSync and the Indivision VSync signal to be able to roughly deduct the tear point. TBH, not worth the effort - if it works for you, it saves you buying a new MK3 unit :-)

Point is also that the particular screen I use for that setup will not work with Vsync from my ECS V3s or VIC II sync from my Turbo Chameleon 64 V2s so I highly doubt it would work with AGA MK3s Vsync. So it's a nice match for my AGA MK2.

Of course I might consider the AGA MK3 aswell, as I have another A1200 that currently has no scandoubler. And I have 2x BenQ BL702As and one BL 912, which all works fine with Vsync.

The MK2 does generate all it's clocks from the Amiga pixel clock, so in theory, the hardware can do it. However, it has no provisions against tearing. What may appear tearing-free on one boot may be different on the next.

Well, so far it's been smooth on every boot. I've seen reports from other MK2 users, with different screens claiming to get smooth results without vsync. Anyway, even if I would get a small tear now and then, it would still be much better than 60Hz+ tearing for PAL software

On my AGA MK2 (which does not support Vsync) I actually managed to finetune it to get totally smooth scrolling with no vsync. Something I thought was almost impossible. The screen I use for that system is a Phillips 17 inch 5:4 LED screen. And it too doesn't support vsync anyway. So the fact I managed to finetune my AGA MK2 to have totally smooth scrolling without vsync for that specific screen is very convenient for me. It scrolls just as butter smooth as if I would have had vsync enabled. I experimented around the 50Hz region until I hit the 'magic spot' for PAL totally smooth scrolling. And even before I hit that spot I had a profile where I had almost smooth scrolling. A little jerk/frameskip now and then.

So I think it should be possible to do the same with the AGA MK3 for a screen that doesn't support Vsync.

I can pretty much confirm you should use a 4.5A PSU (the 4.5A type that came with some A500s) for that setup. I used to run the ACA500 (old version) together with my ACA1233 (The older red version) and it would not boot using the 3A type A600/A1200 PSUs. I had to use the 4.5A variant. Mind you, this was before I had recapped my PSUs, but they were working.

ACA1233 in the A1200 would boot with a 3A PSU. The A500 + ACA500 + ACA1233 is more power hungry and would, as mentioned require the 4.5A PSU to boot.

Got the original easyflash version working now. If I select 'clear c64 memory' from the main menu it works. Doesnt matter if I start from a coldboot. I still have to clear the memory and then it works

Edit: and when it starts I can go back to the mainmenu and relaunch it, and it will work until the next coldboot. Where I have to clear the memory again. It will also work after I have run the excess version. This was how I discovered it and started a closer investigation

Surprisingly, I didn’t actually load your profile. I thought your configs came up when I copied the info file into the directory. I used some disabled default Pre configs and the results were really good.

I just loaded your profiles and I must admit that you pretty much nailed the look of a 1084, minus the curvature of course. Thanks!

Yes, you need to load the profile from the menu.

My goal was to replicate the Image 1:1. So you should get the same picture as when you plug your BenQ BL702A directly to RGB (Except of course 31KHz instead of 15KHz). By that I mean sizewise, same overscan and of course Vsync for smooth scrolling. And of course, not the same when it comes to picture quality, ECSV3 picture is far superior. So your monitor should switch to 720x576 for PAL. And 640x480 for NTSC.

Enjoy!

Here you go. 1:1 profile that works perfect for BenQ BL702A.

and yes, with this 1:1 profile it will provide a superior picture VS using your BenQ BL702A plugged directly to RGB. With regards to fear of ruining socket with the round pins from the ECS V3 round pin (precision) socket. Stick an extra round pin socket in the original socket and leave it there. This way you can swap back to original Denise and have good contact.

wow. I just tested the 'save mountlist' feature now. Very nice. Just make the mountlist, then save a mountlist lst file. Then just run the lst file in the future. No need to manually mount each disk anymore!

Nice work!

There is a nice 'workaround'/'alternative'/'option' to remedy not having tape support or D81 support on the TC64/TC64V2. At least for me.

OneLoad64 Games Collection V3 has a ton of Cartridge images. Many of/most of these CRTs (the ones in the root folder) has built in loading screens/music. The ones that came from tape. So Ocean loaders, Konami, loading pictures and so on. As an example. If you start Batman - the caped crusader CRT it starts up the loading screen/loading stripes and music from the tape loader. So you can look at/listen to this as long as you want. When you're done you just hit the spacebar, and the game starts. This kinda 'replaces' not having tape support. As the loading screen/music is the big nostalgic factor for me.

As for D81s. Alot of multidisk D64 games was converted to one D81. Well, under the the 'Extras/Other' folder in this collection, I believe most of the multidisk games that was converted to D81s have their own cartridge version. If it's missing from here, you will probably find it by googling.

As an example. I couldn't find California Games or Winter Games under the 'Other' folder. These are multidisk games that was converted to one D81. Wouldn't you know it, there is a CRT image under the 'Other' folder called 'Epyx Games' [EasyFlash]. This cartridge contains all the Epyx sports games. Like Summer games 1 and 2. Winter games, california games and World Games. So sometimes the game you're looking for can be in a collection like this.

I did find a working CRT version of Shadows of the beast. This easyflash games collection contains Shadows of the beast amongst other games. The first time I started this easyflash cart, shadows of the beast did not work. But all times after that the game started up fine. First time I booted this cart I also got some kind of easyflash logo animation. After that first time I didn't see that logo anymore and shadows of the beast would work every time. It's a 1MB cart and shadows of the beast is 256KB. So at least this is an alternative for people who must play the cart version until the Ocean crt issue is fixed.

It's Beta 9i where the Ocean CRT changes were made. I downloaded the Beta 9i and looked in the 'what's new notes'

"FPGA Core:

- Fix in VIC-II emulation, Sprite vs Sprite collisions were wrong for some pixel

values

- Fixed 512k Ocean Cartridge mapping

- When CPU is crashed, force a reset when pressing the menu button. Allows to

enter the menu when CPU is crashed.

- Fixed REU behavior when triggered by a Read-modify-write instruction operating

at FF00.

- REU timing fixes. The REU can steal one cycle during badlines or at the

beginning of sprite DMA.

- REU/VIC-II combined timing fix. Added emulation of slow BA signal for the

first sprite 0 DMA fetch, allowing REU to steal two cycles."

I confirm this - the .crt from my testrepo also just shows a black screen

No idea what the problem would be it.... unfortunately no time to look at it right now either - it would help if you could check what update introduced the problem. Another interesting test would be using the menu system from the last working update with the latest core.

Thanks for confirming. I came to think about something. When Soul Force from Protovision was released a few years back, none of the official Soul Force CRT images was working with my TC64V2s. A cracked easyflash version did work. I made a post about it in these forums and I believe you made some changes in the next release of the firmware where you fixed some stuff related to that specific size of Ocean CRT images (The size used by Soul Force). I think you said it was an uncommon Ocean CRT size. Protovision later released both an Easyflash and C64GS version of the CRT images after I had contacted them about the issue. So maybe the problem we're seeing with the Shadows Of The Beast Ocean CRT is related to the changes you made with regards to the Soul Force Ocean CRT problem.

Found my old thread,

I never had Shadows Of The Beast CRT working. Just now I tried to download this one

Don't know if this is the same CRT that comes with the OneLoad64 Games Collection V3 package. Which results in the same black screen. The one in the first link is the Ocean image. I believe I've tried others as well.

I did try to reset the settings back to factory default. No change. System is PAL C64, shortboards 250469 Rev A and Rev B. Cartridge mode. I don't remember if I tried standalone mode with this game. Starting the Shadows Of The Beast CRT always results in a black screen. Other CRTs are working fine. Tried alot of games.

Oh, and if it matters, using the VGA output.

Edit: And I did just now try the CRT image from the first link, in VICE. And there it works just fine. Also using the latest TC64 V2 firmware (Beta 9Q).

Edit 2: Just tried my TC64 V2 in standalone mode using the dockingstation. Both with PAL and NTSC. Same problem.