Posts by turrican9

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.
Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

I have to guess here, because I don't maintain the menu software and SID player of the Chameleon. However, I do know that every SID file also contains meta information about the author, year, copyright and the SID type that it plays best with. So what you observe may not be "defaulting" to a 6581 SID, but merely a choice of the SID file author that the files you're choosing are all composed for a 6581 SID.

Tobias can answer this when he returns from his holidays on january 6th.

Thanks for the answer. I will try to investigate this further.

Another question which is not directly related to SID. How much of the real VIC II is actually used when using the TC64s VGA output? Is it only syncing with the VIC II to get smooth scrolling? Would different types of VIC IIs in any way affect the picture quality you get from TC64s VGA output?

Also, would it be impossible to let's say have an option in the TC64s menu to use the real C64 CPU instead of the emulated one so one could enable the casette port, but at the same time keep the VGA output enabled? Sometimes I would like to load real tape games (nostalgia reasons) and at the same time have the VGA output working

Write accesses go to both, the real SID and the emulated SID. If a real SID is present, then read accesses will come from that. So yes, there may be an audible difference, even if the audio amplifier is connected to the TC64, where only the emulated SID can be heard. The reason may be that the player routine is doing reads from the SID in order to set other registers to a certain value, depending on what it has read. The differences should be minimal, though.

Thanks for the answer. To me it sounds like the emulated SID reads from the real SID like you say and makes it sound identical to the real SID. Because if I remove the real sid and connect the speakers to the TC64 then certain things sounds very different, even if I have it set to emulate the same type of SID. Good example is the music in the game Alien.

However, I still don't understand why when playing SID files the player seems to default to an emulated 6581 SID even though I have my emulated SIDs set to 8580s in the settings. While in games I can clearly hear it's using the emulated 8580 (which sounds identical to the real SID as long as the real SID is present).

This output will only give you the emulated SID's audio. For the real SID, you need to use the audio output on the AV connector of the C64.

I was under the impression that even when using the audio output on the TC64 V2 it would still use the original SID (at least part of it). Because I can hear a difference in games with SID installed VS no SID in the C64. Or do you mean that only the SID player will use the emulated SID when audio is connected to TC64's audio port, while games will still take advantage of the real SID, even when audio is connected to the TC64?

Also, as I said, when playing SIDs it's using an emulated 6581 while playing the same games (same music) it's using the 8580 which also sounds like it's getting the sound from the real SID, when audio is connected to the TC64

According to Tobias reads from the SID will come from the real SID in cartridge mode. Just recieved Turbo Chamelon 64 V2 and two buttons stuck

So when I play games it is using my real 8580 SID but when I listen to SID files it's using an emulated 6581 SID instead of using the real one. I have selected the 8580 under emulation settings for both SID's and CIA. Only using mono anyway. How can I change it so it's using my real SID when I listen to SID files? It's using the real 8580 when playing games. My speakers are connected to TC64 V2s audio output.

Merry xmas!

We did work on the overscan area - first thing you should do is to install the latest core that comes with the latest flash tool.

The Indivision ECS V1 settings are not that easy to replicate, as they were hardcoded in the core, and they were floating with the input from the Amiga. This is a horrible thing to have if you use a flat screen - it's good for a CRT, but I doubt that anyone is still using CRTs. So you better play with the config tool until you get the right picture - once that's saved, it won't "float away" with varying screen modes of the Amiga.

Timm might want to take a look at your mentioned test cases Arkanoid and Disposable Hero.

thanks for the answer. I am using the latest firmware/software. Still the issues mentioned with Arkanoid and Disposable Hero are there. And I am only using flatscreens. BenQ BL702A/BL 912.

Also, in the game disposable Hero there are blinking vertical bars on both left and right side of the screen with the 800x600@72Hz. This does not happen on the ECS V1. ECS V2 needs some profiles with fully working overscan

Edit: I managed to almost replicate ECS V1 62Hz mode by using the 800x600@72Hz and doubling the output resolution to 1600 instead of 800 then finetune the clocks according to how they look in ECS V1 tool user mode. This forces my BenQ BL 702A to switch to 1024x600 (same happens with ECS V1) and look almost identical to how the same monitor looks on the ECS V1 (pattern and everything). What becomes clear from this is that the ECS V2 is indeed missing a few pixels on the right side which can only be fixed by a new firmware. This is why we see in games like Arkanoid it's missing a few pixels on the right side and probably also causes the blinking on left and right side when playing Disposable Hero.

Also, the ECS V1 seems to have a tad sharper picture. But this could be due to that V1 being installed in an A500 and the V2 in one of my A600s. I also have another A600 with an ECS V1 so need to test more. Could also be due to my two BL 702A's being slightly different with regards to picture quality. So more testing needs to be done.

Also, what's the settings/real resolution for the 62Hz profile on the ECS V1? Would also like to replicate that one because it shows the full overscan area and fill more of the screen than the standard 800x600@72Hz profile on the ECS V2. the 800x600 profile on the V2 has very nice picture quality and shows the full overscan but the picture is a bit small

Edit: the 800x600 profile on the ECS V2 does not show the whole overscan area. Arkanoid is a good test. And there is a small bit missing on the right side of the screen.

So to sum up the ECS V1 and ECS V2:

ECS V1: Has two profiles. One for 50Hz and one for 62Hz. Both of them shows the whole overscan area correctly. However, the ECS V1 has issues with the 50Hz settings not sticking on cold boot. Today I even had it boot to the 50Hz profile when it was saved at 62Hz profile. LOL. never seen that happen before. Usually it's the 50Hz profile that has issues at coldboot

ECS V2: Non of the profiles seems to show the whole of the Amiga overscan area correctly. Seems like V2 is more focused on trying to fill the screen instead of showing the overscan area correctly. Making many games not show up correctly. However, the V2 does not seem to have any problems remembering the settings.

To sum it up: If V2 had the two profiles the V1 has and showing up the same way the V2 would be perfect.

I'd increase the output resolution, so the scaler does not introduce patterns. Try to double the output resolution.

Hello. I have already tried that (1440, above and below on the output resolution. Cannot seem to replicate the nice 720x576 result I get with the ECS V1. Screens used are BenQ BL702A and BL 912. Maybe a future firmware/software will have a nice profile like this?

Hi,

Is it possible to get a perfect 720x576@50Hz resolution on this device? I've tinkered alot and cannot seem to replicate the same results I get with the ECS V1 in 50Hz mode. 720x576@50Hz is the best way to show the full overscan area correctly. I have the latest firmware and software. All the 50Hz modes that comes with it does not show the whole overscan area and some of them have issues with patterns which makes the scanlines look wrong.

It's in the presets, but overwritten by your current configuration. You can get it by "Restore to Defaults" (and switch back using "Last Saved" if need be. Also remember that you can save your current configuration to a file for later reference). Sorry for the new presets are not automatically merged into your configuration. But the new defaults come with slightly changed positions, so it's probably better to start from the new defaults.

Selecting a 1280x1024 VGA mode should not truncate an Indivision 640x512 mode, and you should get a requester to notify you in that case. Please let me know if this can be reproduced with the new version.

Thanks. 'Restore to defaults' fixed it. Now the new profiles showed up and the 640x512 thing got fixed aswell after doing that.

I just uploaded version 2.0 of the software, which includes new firmware 20190308. It allows for more overscan horizontally. Also included are some new presets, including a 50Hz VSync mode. You might give this a try.

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Indivision_ECS_V2/doc

Hello. I have updated to the new software and firmware. The new 736x548 (50Hz) are nowhere to be found in the list of Predefined profiles. What's up with that? Also, since several updates ago when selecting Pre: 640x512 and VGA mode 1280x1024 (50 or 60Hz) the 640x512 will set itself to 640x480. So I have to copy the Pre 640x512 and edit it from 640x480 to the correct 640x512.

We can not use an approach like sd2iec either - that basically requires implementing a small microcomputer in the FPGA which then can run the program doing something similar as sd2iec does. At the end this doesnt really saves anything over just emulating the entire drive.

And yes, the tape port can only work when the CPU in the C64 is being used (its directly connected to the CPU port). Same problem as with all other accelerator cartridges.

Thank you for the answer. No big deal as I have several C64s where I can use SD2IEC and tape drives. So I can have many systems at the same time, without any need for unplugging the TC64 V2's :)

D81 support would require emulating a 1581, which is just completely out of the scope of Chameleon. It would also probably no more fit into the FPGA.

TAP support is still on our list of "nice to have" things, and it could perhaps be implemented without too much effort and doesnt need that much resources - however, it was postponed to until after leaving beta.

Bottom line is: we have to stop somewhere and finish what we have - else we will never be able to leave beta status. We already have a lot more features than originally planned :)

Do you really need to emulate the 1581 in an accurate way? The SD2IEC supports both D64 and D81 and as far as I know it does not emulate either a 1541 or a 1581 in any accurate way. It does it enough to just run some D64 and D81 files. So it's more like a file launcher than a drive emulator. But of course it cannot run every image.

btw, I think I read somewhere that the TC64/TC64 V2 disables the casette port? Is this true? I haven't tried my tape loaders with TC64 V2 plugged in yet.

Yes, of course you should finish what we already have. It's already a great device as is. Fantastic product that makes the C64 fun to use again. And also so many other uses

Dear all.

Sorry if this has been posted already or the question sounds stupid, but I'm really a noob with the Chameleon V2.

I want to run the Chameleon as standalone as I don't have a C64 (yet). When I connect all the cables to the Chameleon as instructed, nothing happens on my screen. I see the red and green light flashing once on the Chameleon when connecting power cable and 1 time the red light again. Then nothing on my screen.

Did I forgot something such as software on a SD card or do i need to flash a core before to start working with the Chameleon ?

Sorry for these noob questions.

Are you sure your power supply delivers enough power? I tried my TC64 V2 in standalone with some power supplies that did not have enough juice and got a black screen if I remember correctly. It should boot up with no SD card and you shouldn't need to do anything special.

So is there any technical reason as to why there is no support for D81 and TAP files on the TC64/TC64 V2? Or are you planning to implement it in future firmwares? This has probably been asked before. Not that they are absolutely needed but loading a TAP file would be part of the nostalgia. listening to the loading music and everything. D81 is more practical because some multi disk games are converted to one D81 instead, so less/no disk swapping.

As I said in an earlier post, I had to use all the force I have to open it. As I also stated, I am working as an electrician and have been doing so for almost 25 years so I have fairly high strength for screwing/unscrewing. I had a screwdriver that was fitting good enough to get some really good force/torgue without damaging the screw, in my opinion. The screw still got slightly damaged because I had to use enormous force. It took all the strength I had. My wrist actually hurt afterwards. LOL.

While I had absolutely no problems unscrewing the screw on an Epyx fast loader cartridge I had laying around. Nice to hear you got it solved on your own :)

So I recieved my second TC64 V2 today. All the buttons works out of the box. However, if I put my finger on let's say the black button and turn (spin) it, it will lock up once I reach a certain position until I spin it back again. This is probably what happened to my first TC64 V2. If I had tried to turn/spin the button back I may have gotten away with it without widening the holes. But at the time I didn't know that I could spin/turn them. Anyway, the black button is the one I use the most to go back to the menu and if I press it enough times on my first TC64 V2 it will eventually lock up and I need to spin/turn it back into position. Will see if this happens on my second TC64 V2.

Anyway, this is no big deal as I can turn the button easily back into position. But I will look for a solution to somehow lock the buttons in place so they don't spin after many presses. Another solution would be to solder on some external buttons.

Tried standalone mode today and it worked. I think I am definitely having some kind of issue with my c64 machine itself. I think maybe bad ram chips but I'm not certain.

I think the answer to the question I was asking about factory reset can be found in chapter 5.1.1 of the Turbo Chameleon user guide. For example if you want to boot with default settings you can hold the 1 key during boot (this seems to flush all of the custom settings written to flash). Can somebody more experienced than I please confirm this is correct?

Have you tried with some electronic cleaner in the C64 cartridge port? It may not make good contact with the TC64 V2