Posts by turrican9

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

My 'Force PAL' modded 3.1 ROM arrived long after my last post. Due to them sending me the wrong 'unmodified' ROM. It arrived a few weeks back. And now my A500 Plus using the 8375 NTSC Agnus I bought from iComp quite a few years back coldboots to PAL. So a nice solution.

Just as a heads up. The DELL E1715S can still be bought new. It's a 17 inch 5:4 monitor with VGA and Display port. I bought two of them and they work fine with Indivision ECS V3 with Vsync on in both PAL and NTSC. It also works excellent on my TC64V2s with VIC II sync enabled. All tested with it's VGA port.

Chameleon does indeed host an SD card and supports CRT files. The only CRT file it will not support is Gmod2 as far as I remember. It also supports D64, PRG, T64 and G64 (probably missed some). It will not support D81 or TAP files. And it also supports RAM extension (REU). I believe it is up to 16MB.

With the latest menu build it even supports auto saving directly to easy flash CRT files.

In my experience I can preload almost all whdload games pretty fine all the way down to 3MB available fast RAM. Even Monkey Island 2 and Fate Of Atlantis preloads pretty fine with this RAM amount. Strangely enough. Only official game that needs around 10MB available FAST RAM is Beneath a Steel Sky, to preload properly. For Beneath A Steel Sky one can just use a HD install anyway, as it does not have a copy protection.

I have an Agnus 8375 NTSC that I bought from icomp several years ago. I have it installed in one of my A500 ++ replica boards. Mostly used this with my ACA 500 and ACA 500 Plus. And yes, they can switch to PAL after the machine coldboots in NTSC.

I encountered a problem. When I flashed a Kickstart 2.05 37.500 to my ACA 500 Plus I couldn't switch it to PAL. So it looks like the Kickstarts that comes built into the ACA 500/ACA 500 Plus has implemented PAL/NTSC switch. Then I found by googling a program that let's you modify your kickstart to force PAL. I did that and flashed the modified Kickstart 2.05 to my ACA 500 Plus. This enabled PAL.

Then I thought, I want this forced PAL switch in my physical kickstart ROM. So it coldboots to PAL. But I didn't want to buy a eprom prgrammer just for this one system. This is the only system I have with an NTSC Agnus that can only be switched via software.

So I contacted an Amiga reseller and asked them to sell me a Kickstart 3.1 ROM for A500 with forced PAL switch. I gave them the link to the program and explained. After a few days they answered me and said they would do it for no extra cost. They shipped the kickstart today.

So this seems like the best solution. This way the machine should coldboot to PAL. A kickstart ROM is quite inexpensive. Simple and nice solution.

So here is a possible fix - please test :) I still have to find out *why* this fixes it, it doesn't really make sense to me :)

Clearly you must have done something because the freezing is gone now. In both the original version of soul force easyflash and the cracked excess version :) Thanks :) I have not tested Pirates! or Maniac Mansion with this latest menu build. Hopefully it didn't break something else. And there are probably alot more games to test. Will report if I find something. Thanks again for your work :thumbup::)

Ok, i have to ask again: can you reproduce this only with the latest menu? Its a bit odd... :)

Just to be absolutely sure I flashed the 30.01.2024 menu build again. I first loaded up the original Soul force Easy flash image. Started up the game and went from the games main menu to the games options menu, then back to the games main menu. No freezing. Then I finished the 1st level. No freezing at the point were it saves to easyflash. Tried the same with the cracked excess version. No issues here either.

With the 08.02.2024 menu build: Started up the original easyflash version of soul force. Going from the games main menu to the games option menu, then back to the games main menu will cause it to freeze. Without even changing game settings. Hitting TC64 menu button then going back to the game unfreezes it. And does not freeze between levels. This is a point where it saves game progress to easyflash. For the excess cracked easyflash version of the game, as I said, it does not freeze when going to the games option menu and then back to the games main menu. It will however freeze between each level. But again, can unfreeze it by hitting TC64s menu button and then back to the game again.

I couldn't stop. Played through the whole game 😅 had a blast. So convenient with the 'update easyflash image feature'. hitting TC64 menu button between each level and updating the image. Even the highscore at the end updated with no freezing. So again, only when changing settings in the main menu. Which is easy enough to unfreeze. And the cracked excess version freezes between levels, but can unfreeze the same way.

update. I found when it freezes, if I hit TC64 menu button and choose to update the CRT easyflash image, then go back to the game then it unfreezes and works fine until the next time it tries to save something. Then I have to do the same procedure again to unfreeze it

Edit: actually it's enough just to go back to TC64 menu without updating the image, then back to the game to unfreeze it. Also, the original easyflash version of soul force did not freeze after the first lvl. Only when doing menu changes. Whilst the excess cracked version did not freeze on menu changes but between each lvl.

So so far the original soul force easyflash version works quite good as it does not freeze between levels. Only when changing stuff in the main menu. Which as mentioned I can unfreeze by hitting TC64 menu button and go back to the game again

So I tested with the latest menu build. Pirates! easyflash seemed to work fine in both slot 3 and 4. Did saves, exited the game and updated the easyflash. It all seemed to work just fine.

However, when I tried Soul Force easyflash the first problem I encountered was on the game menu. I entered options and changed difficulty to easy and turned on autofire. As soon as I hit exit back to the main menu the game locked up. I think the game is supposed to save the settings at this point. Tried several times. Even resetting my TC64V2. Same thing happened.

Next, I tried the cracked excess easyflash version of soul force. This time it went fine going back to the main menu after changing the above mentioned settings. However, after I finished level 1 the game locked up. Again, it's supposed to save the game progress at this point. For soul force I only tested using slot 4. This is clearly an issue. And at this point I have not tested with more games.

Edit: oh, and if I hit TC64s menu button after soul force locked up it asks if I want to update the image. Naturally, because soul force easyflash locked up at the point where it saves settings or game progress

I am surprised now that Gideon doesn't do the same - the solution is pretty obvious once you think about it :)

Almost all/if not all D81 games have been converted to Easy Flash. And many of them have save features. This means the lack of D81 support on the TC64/TC64 V2 is not a huge deal anymore. Now, that we have this automated easy flash save feature. Will test this weekend. This is just great. Thanks for all your effort