Posts by Synter

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

Hi All,

This is a usage question. I often do a LOAD"*",8,1/RUN when I mounted multiple disk images. This loading however takes forever. The speaker zooms as if the drive is spinning, the red led burns but it is so slow.... I know physical floppy's are slow but with Chameleon I think there is no need for that.

Has the CH2 an integrated speedloader? ( think JiffyDOS). If not which speed loader is best and how to configure it? Thanks

Hi all,

I understood that REU is a memory extension which allows for bigger demo's (and more colors if you believe the demo). REU as an option (and MMC) just as Retro replay are found under menu "Cartridge Settings" However, I can't activate any of these options. No MMC64 (default value off), Default Cartridge None etc. All options here are greyed out.

How can I activate these options?

Thanks

Hi Tobias,

Yes, reconfiguring seems to do something. After the first install: the 8580 was recognised, the 6581 was an "unknown" SID type. After contact with the SIDFX people I flashed a new SIDFX firmware that allowed me to overrule the auto detect so I could manually set the SID type. That worked. I hadn't looked at CH2's SID emulation settings. ( I didn't realise that the code actually runs inside CH2 and that this code actually scans simulated SID's).

I set the emulated SID's at stereo on $d4xx and the real stereo SID on $D420 like you suggested, I configured SIDFX to have the second SID at $d420 and I got sound again. Tweaking with SIDFX configuration tool does something because there are configuration settings that completely mute both SIDS.

There is another issue, that also troubles this water: SIDFX has two connectors: 1 that reads the profile (you can have three profiles which allow for three different SID settings: for example left profile is Mono SID1+SID2, Center is Stereo SID1 and SID2 at $D420 and the right profile for example Stereo SID, with SID2 for example at $D500). The switch used for selecting is a 3 way switch. A second 3 way switch (that works because I swapped them) is used for selecting how audio channels are mixed. That switch should have 3 setting left/center/right but it only has RR- where the - (minus) is an undefined position that should technically not be possible. (switch is both in left and right position) so I can't determine how sound is actually mixed. It mostly sounds, like I hear only one SID. I do not know how the software running inside CH2 reads the status of the switches.

So now I am looking for a solution that does not emulate SID but still gives me the possibility to load software from an SD card. The only way to test and verify the SIDFX is by completely removing the CH2 from the equation.

I forgot, I have reconfigured my SIDFX about a 1000 times because the SIDFX configuration utiity had troubles identifying the right SID's. I had to reflash the SIDFX with a developer firmware that overrules, the built-in detection so you can manually specify which SID's are on board.

I think its SID1+SID2 mono (so both play the same song) while sharing one address. That worked.

Hi Tobias,

If I use an empty core slot, can I then still use the drive emulation? I don't have a floppy drive nor a tape player, so I can't load software through other media. I took Chameleon because its an all in one solution that also emulates the drives.

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for your reply.

Have you ever worked with a SIDFX and Chameleon V2? Because both the SIDFX person and I run in to unknown issues. Second SID appears/dissapears, second SID is detected wrong (8580 instead of 65..) Its hard to actually debug why my SIDFX doesn't work because the errors are inconsistent. I can only set my "SID Emulation" to mono or stereo at some address. I do not have the "SID emulation off option".

Furthermore: SIDFX requires a tap on 6510 lines 12 and 15 so it can detect whether different addresses are used. For the Cartridge connection I have one yellow line on 7. I believe that even in cartridge mode the onboard 6510 is not used so both data-lines are useless.

Regards

Hi Tobias,

So if I understand it correct: the Chameleon SID player does not use C64's internal SID but always uses the emulated SID in the Chameleon? That would be funny, because that would imply that I couldn't use my SIDFX from the Chameleon's SID player.

I thought Chameleon used the SID chips on the C64's board, in Cartridge mode. How can I make sure that my C64 program uses a real SID and not the emulated SID's?

Hi,

One of the things I like about the C64 is the SID chip. I use the CH2 in cartridge mode and wonder: would it be possible to insert the C64's Sid sound in the CH2 so it can be mixed with the headphone exit? I am thinking about a riser under the SID that exports the audio and somehow inserts that in to the CH2?

If the C64's cartridge slot doesn't have an audio, then perhaps a small audio input connector for stereo input? I have a SIDFX installed that does stereo sound and optimally that stereo sound can be passed through.

About the built-in SID player: does that determine which SID is on board or not? I tried to play some stereo songs on my dual 8580's and the SID player reports 1 SID 6581.

This afternoon, my second C64 started to give the error "waiting for keys released"

This C64 worked ok. I had to remove the Chameleon about 5 or 6 times before it decided there were no keys stuck.

Is this a bug in the Chameleon?

I found a cable to connect the C64 to my monitor. It looks like the keyboard is broke. The spacebar seems stuck and the cursor starts moving.The spacebar itself functions as expected. So, that mystery is solved.

Hi All,

I finally received my new PSU for my breadbin C64. Connect power, Chameleon and then: yes an image with the text "waiting for keys released"... Regardless of whatever key I press (shift lock has also been checked), nothing happens. This is with and without SD card.

I have no RF cable so I can't connect my C64 to something different, and see whether the keyboard actually works or not. So I more or less hope that it might be another bug. I tried to update too the newest firmware, but the Chameleon sees updates.prg and does nothing "waiting for keys released" so I can't update the firmware either. I need the cartridge mode because I don't have a PS2 keyboard.. Anyone got a clue?

I disconnected the keyboard from the C64 and the C64 started. In a flash I saw the blue commodore screen and the Chameleon updater started but that hangs with an empty screen. So the Chameleon hangs on something with the keyboard....

Hi All,

My Chameleon has arrived, but I can't try it yet because I am still waiting for a safe PSU for my breadbin C64. I have some questions, though

- is the chameleon straight from the shop read-to-run or do I still need to flash a core?

- Can the file browser / manager work with ZIP files? Most stuff is zipped and needs to be unzipped otherwise

- Do I need JiffyDOS to get speed from the emulated 1541's or are these fast?

For SID, I read that C64 and Chameleon both have their own audio outs. Can the Chameleon replace the C64 internal SID so I can connect one speaker to the Chameleon and be done, or do I need to have speakers for Chameleon and the C64?

Thanks all

Hi All,

After re-installing my WB my Indivision MK2 is giving me problems. When I go to a game, half of the screen is out of boundaries to the right. The left side of the monitor stays black. I can not change the H-offset and the vertical off-set. They are both zero and reset after changing. So when I try to have an horizontal offset of -10 ( or plus 10 for that matter). Each time I press the test button, these values are reset to 0 and the test screen looks as lousy as the default game screen.

The pal mode although its 640x480 always jumps to pixels 738x384, I can't change that resolution... I used the newest version 1.5, reflashed to cores... no luck.

At this point, I have no idea how to solve this issue. Help.

Thanks

Hi All,

I recently got a BVision card and that does not go together with an AGA MK2 (non CR) because they overlap by a CM or 2. Is there a way to insert the AGA MK2 signal in to the BVision VGA cable? The connector on the MK2 would break the BVision card so I suppose you would have to steal the signals from somewhere on the card and insert them in to the BVision cable.

Thanks

Ok, will do that but that will be quite a challenge. I have ordered a PCMCIA adapter + CF from Vesalia so I could transfer data from a PC to the Amiga. That order already takes two weeks. Benchmarking it with a package from the United States that arrived after one week....

Jens, by the way: I appreciate that you'r still delivering hardware for the Amiga community. I am eagerly awaiting a decent 1260. Prices on ebay or other places are way over the top.

Hi All,

This afternoon I received the Indivision AGA MK2cr that I bought from ebay. I installed it and ran in to the problem that the picture of the Indivision starts in the middle of the screen and now my amiga screen is located on the right half of my 16:9 monitor. Is this because I need to tweak the firmware with software that I must download here, or is it broken.

The monitor is connected to DVI, but when I tell my monitor to auto-adjust the screen it says its not possible. I also can not move the Indivision screen to the left or the right.

Another thing I noticed: my card has 22 pins next to the LISA cap. I don't recall I ever saw them on pictures on the internet. What are they for?

Thanks for your input!