Posts by brostenen

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

To replicate the flashing issue, then try my setup, and flash an IndiECS V2 with 1.6 firmware....

Then use the following thing's:

- Amiga 600 Revision 1.5

- a604n with a "full-pin" socket.

- Kickstart 2.x version 37.350

This should make you able to replicate the bricking.

Good to hear that I can use two a512's. Yet a shame that the Amiga500-Plus can not adress aditional memory from the trapdoor as ranger/slow mem. :-( The boobip that I have, did come with an Gary adaptor. So I will check if it conflicts or not, with my TF-530, once I get the MeanWell PSU in the mail. The TF-530 did collide with Chipmem that I had adressed with the Gary adaptor, as to why I did the ChipMem-mod/500-Plus-Upgrade on my 500. Just a shame that the 500Plus can not do what I want.

Hi.

I have this Amiga500-Plus machine. And if I put a 512k expansion in the trapdoor, it gives 1.5mb Chip. The same with a 1mb expansion, gives 2mb Chip Ram in total. Then I have this a512 expansion. The question is. As the a512 have a passthrough port. Can I extend it with whatever expansion I want? Like if I attach a BooBip expansion after the a512. Will I then get 1mb extra Chip and 512k Slowmem. Like 1mb Chip from expansion plus 512k Ranger upgrade? Or do I need 3xa512 in one row, in order to achieve 2mb Chip plus 512k Slow in total, on an Amiga500-Plus?

Ahhh... Then it was not the IDE port conflicting. I just had an idea, that it might have been that. You see... I have the same issue, and because I can do a full rescue on a Revision5, stock configuration and using kick 1.3 compared to the Indivision "bricking" on my A600. Then I began thinking what is identical to your 500 with TF-530 and my stock 600.... The only thing that I thought was identical is the IDE port/controller. I have to say that I am really curious as to why it bricks on my 600 Revision 1.5 and why my 500 Revision 5 can flash it.

I had the same issue on my stock a600, meaning no accelerator. Hmmm.... Can you check something for me? Test the rescue disk without the TF-530 installed. I have a thought about it, that I will ask Jens over email, if you can succesfully flash with the rescue disk on a standard 500. You know... Standard/stock as in no accelerator, only 500 with the 68000 cpu installed.

I still think it is highly sensitive to what monitor and vga cable that are used. Like for instance. My Sony monitor....

If I use it on my IndivisionECS V2, then I have never seen such ghosting on vertical scrolling in my entire life. It is in pinball dreams and fantasies. It is like really bad. And it is not only when using the IndivisionECS V2. When using that monitor on a 486dx33 ISA-Only motherboard with an Orchid ET4000 ISA card and playing Dynablaster in MS Dos 6.22, then all vertical lines will start to make a wave motion 0.5 centimeters to each side. And other games have troubles.

Yet I need that monitor, as it gives perfect picture on my other Amiga500. That is a revision 8a.1 board, full ECS chipset and with an ScanPlusECS scandoubler that only outputs 50hz refresh rate.

Yet on anything non-50hz and non-Windows98, it really sucks.

The most annoying with the samsung that I have. Is that the monitor can not do autoconfigure decent enough to run at 72 or 73 hz (I can not remember what it was). And the image is somewhat fuzzy. It has ghosting much like people here report.

You need a good quality monitor is my guess. Now I do not know what exact quality my IBM Thinkvision L170 is rated at. (low, mid or high quality). Yet strange enough, the L190 is displaying a picture much like the one not_budda have posted, as my L170 only ghosts one to one and a half millimeter to the right.

Just one question:

So what is it really? Ceramic or tantalums? There is no capacitor technology that combines the two :-)

I have done some investigations. It is ceramic SMD capacitors. I think the seller of my board, thought that they were tantalum and ceramic at the same time. I actually learned something new today. :-D

I'm sorry but I still have to read between the lines of your post - since you are making a difference between "flasher" and "config" program, I assume you have been trying the old tools on the hew hardware, which will not work. Please use the latest ECS V2 config/flash tool (both functions in a single program):

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Indivision_ECS_V2/doc#Download

Yes. That is the exact tool that I have used. More accurate, the tool found on the rescue version 1.9 disk. And I tried the 1.6 as well. When the ECS V2 is installed in my a604n, then it will result in a bricked device. Yet it can de salvaged and brought back to life in my Amiga 500 Revision 5 version 3 with kickstart 1.3 (the exact board name is according to big book of amiga hardware).

Then I dont know what the seller talked about. It is recapped, and it is not the old elektrolytic caps he used. It is the brownish caps that you might see in my photos. The seller told me they were named ceramic tantalium. And I am not an electronics repairman. So I now I hve no idea what they are.

I as well have ghosting on my IndiECS V2. Yet testing my 4 flatscreen monitors, then I found that the monitor have a lot to say. Shure the VGA cable or something else, might have a lot to say, yet the monitor is a factor as well.

My testing:

- Samsung Syncmaster 172v are horrible in 72hz. Can not do 50hz.

- Sony XDM-X95K are even more horrible (works perfect in 50hz and as a PC monitor)

- IBM ThinkVision L170 are nearly ghosting free, and is the one that works best for me.

- IBM ThinkVision L190 gives much the same image, yet have a tendency to not display centered image.

Hope this can give some help to people.

Hi Jens.

My Amiga600 is running without any Accelerators at all. It was recapped with ceramic tantelum capacitors. The power supply that I am using right now, is the old original Amiga600 supply.

Upgrades that I have in my 600 at this moment:

- a604n 1mb ChipRam expansion, the one with socket not fully populated.

- IndivisionECS V2.

- KA60 IDE Adaptor.

- SD-to-IDE adaptor (44pin version)

Just ordered an A6095 FastRam expansion for my machine and an OS-3.1.4 kit. They will be the last upgrade's that I will be doing to this machine, as I want it to have features, yet retain the compatibility of a stock 600, as much as possible, yet have as many features as possible at the same time.

EDIT:

Speaking of PSU. Is an ATX psu with a convertion cable the best choice, when dealing with unregulated PSU's? Sorry if I sound a bit noob. Yet PSU and Amiga are not exactly something that I know a lot about.

brostenen, I can fully confirm IndiECS v1 and v2 compatibility with Amiga 600, mine is fitted with A604n, RTC module, Indivision ECS, VGA port fitted inside case in place of the RF module, all this while having a Furia 020 accelerator installed and an IDE to CF adapter with CF card.

Sweet.... Thanks. This is only if I find the need for upgrading instead of getting a 9,5mb ram expansion.

Speaking of accelerators on the 600, then it is a shame that only the Furia and the Vampire is the only ones that can be found from brand new.... This is perhaps a little hint for hardware devellopers. Right now, the 500 have the most choices.