Posts by espskog

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

UPDATE: I want to change my idea of using a user-defineable textfile that TC reads upon boot to suggest that the TC has a "Infrared" menu option where the user can go in and the TC asks the user to press different keys on his IR and it learns the codes. That would be ULTRA KOOL! :-) This is something I think you really should consider -- it would be very supernice. It also solves your problem for the future if you run out of CDTV remotes on stock :) (A moment ago).

Hi.

Since the IR on the TC work so great with the CDTV controller (and its many buttons) -- I was wondering, how cool would it be if the user could use a IR-keyboard as well. Maybe one of those hotel-tv combo-units that has qwerty-keyb on one side and gamepad on the other side.

Then we could really be couch-gaming :) This would of course mean that there would have to be added support in the core to load a user-defined translation textfile on the root of the SD card where one have to add the IR-codes which should correspond to the proper c64 keyboard button.

I am just throwing this out -- as I think it was a very good idea :) I am sure there are technical obstacles here, but I am addressing experts and feel confident this idea will spin in your mind over the morning coffee and during the visit to the toilet.

This could even be a good idea on how to let users use third party IR controllers (non cdtv ones) with their TC in the future too.

The ECS Minimig core already has Turbo ChipRAM so you get some of those benefits already. (Zeewolf 2 runs really nicely, for example.)

I'm not making any promises regarding the AGA core because it involves porting not just the chipset design, but also the firmware in the MIST's onboard microcontroller - which the Chameleon has to replicate within the FPGA as a second CPU (which is why it might not fit). For the forseeable future I'll only be tackling the low-hanging fruit - porting the existing ChameleonV1 cores.

If you could bring the minimig-core out for V2 first, I think you'll be treated as a saint for a long time ;-) And while that gold and glory rains over you for the year to come, you are free to see if RTG or AGA is possible to add ;-)

If Alastair first brings the ECS Minimig core to the V2, maybe he'd like to see if the MistAGA core

Second that ! AGA core possible too I wonder ?

I downloaded the mister amiga minimig-aga core and I think it was 3 times the filesize of the ecs-minimig core. So as Jens says, It might not fit. I would much rather have RTG than AGA, actually :)

My left and far right buttons was totally stuck until I fixed it. I tested the screw on my Epyx Fastloader cartridge and had no problems unscrewing it. Now the screw on the TC 64 V2 is not that bad after loosening and screwing it on a few times.

Yep. I found it easier to handle after I had loosened the threads a little as well. Maybe it's just the plastic that is a big harder on this case so that the screw really digs into it. Anyway -- I am very happy there is a screw there, as on the V1 it had no screw. So this makes opening and closing much more convenient. :)

Sounds like a simple addition to the SID player to also use Y as "skip forward" and "N" for "skip back".

Yeup :) Just add the sidplayer the ability to skip songs if you press y/n in addition to +/-. The original +/- is good and natural for ps2 keyb users to have maybe.

I was trying to find out what the original decision of using "+" and "-" keys for the volume keys was geared for. It appears like the decision dates back to November 2010, but I cannot find a mention of a use case for the volume keys.

The main reason why I am looking for such a use case is that I'd like to avoid too many people coming back after we've made the change, screaming "but killer app XY is not working with Remote any more!".

So - please help to find out if this is just an undocumented, open point on our todo-list, and if the Volume keys on the CDTV remote are really "essentially un-assigned" because we're still in beta state.

Jens : I just found out that the vol up/down on the remote is used in the SID player on the TC to skip tunes inside the SID. But, apart from that --- we have head nothing from anyone at the FB Group who has any recollection using these. So --- hope this helps :-)

/Espen

Update. I have managed to opened the cartridge now. The screw was sitting insanely tight. I',m a fairly strong man as I am working as an electrician, and have been doing so for 25 years, but this screw was really tight. lol.

Anyway, now I can widen the holes for the buttons. It seems they are not perfectly round so two of the buttons got stuck.

My other problem now is that the Chameleon V2 will not read my Transcend 2GB SD cards. It will just hang when trying to initialize. Is the Chameleon very picky about SD cards?

I have the same issue with mine. The left button is almost stuck. But it works. Also my bottom screw was so tight that I had problems unloosening it. Not a problems really, I just related to the tight screw-story.

You can still use RETURN or SPACE to do that - the whole menu system was designed to work only with Joystick (or cursor keys+return for that matter).

Yep, i just found out that SPACE did the same. But "5" is hotkey, but with space I have to go thru the menu :) Not a big issue for me, but I am happy that the 5-key works as mount directly :)

It says on Vesalia's pages that the RRNET Module if installed in the TC64 is only usable if the TC64 is used with a real c64 in cartridge mode ? Is this correct ?

Here is the clip from Vesalia:

I am only using my TC64 in standalone mode (merely because it works so well) and bought the RRNET to GuruTerm and telnet to my BBS.

I was trying to find out what the original decision of using "+" and "-" keys for the volume keys was geared for. It appears like the decision dates back to November 2010, but I cannot find a mention of a use case for the volume keys.

The main reason why I am looking for such a use case is that I'd like to avoid too many people coming back after we've made the change, screaming "but killer app XY is not working with Remote any more!".

So - please help to find out if this is just an undocumented, open point on our todo-list, or if the Volume keys on the CDTV remote are really "essentially un-assigned" because we're still in beta state.

Understandable :) I will shout out at the FB group. It's 200+ members already so I am sure that if the +/- keys has a use for someone, they will tell there. I'll get back to you ASAP.

When you want to press keys that you cant press using the remote - yes, of course you need a keyboard :)

Here is a strange thing which probably has a very good explanation :-) So, the button 5 is F5 according to the manual page62, but on my TC it acts as "Mount D64 image" if i press it in the menus. SO -- I am wondering, does the buttons have different functions depending on whether you are "in a game" or "in the menus" ? If so -- it would be super with an updated button-table in the manual.

In case you have a code snipped to read the hexcode when it receives, see what happens if you hold one down and then another. To see if it sends the button "last pressed" or if it produces a new hexcode :) That's be AWESOME if it did. :D

That would be VERY great. Thanks for the quick reply and for considering this :)

PS! Does the CDTV remote produce other IR-codes if one pushes combinations of buttons ?

And while I am at it: It would be very cool if the 2nd fire-button (which is autofire now) is the same as "JOY-UP" because many games are almost impossible to play if one has to jump with the arrow up while pressing it to the sides.

If the vol up/down produces the "+" and "-" then I would say that "y" and "n" is much more convenient.

So -- I am just throwing this out as a wish. Pretty please, with sugar on top, change vol-buttons into Y/N buttons :D