Posts by mbruines197703

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

We now have a core for everyone to test - this is really only a test-core, as it does not meet all timing requirements. We normally aim at 165MHz output pixel clock, but this core is only good for a maximum of 155MHz output pixel clock. However, one important change is there, and that's the chipset communication fix. Please download the file from our Wiki (test core sfrom September 17th) and install the core using the "flash firmware file" menu item from the drop-down menu.

Please report back if it works as good for you as it does for us - then it's worth putting more effort into meeting timing up to 165MHz pixel clock.

No changes to the Audio engine yet - this issue was much more important to us, and we wanted to release something before the weekend, so we hopefully have your results on Monday.

On my 1d1 board it solved the issues, ive been running the amiga for over 2 hours and none black screens any more :) everything runs smooth now.

We now have a core for everyone to test - this is really only a test-core, as it does not meet all timing requirements. We normally aim at 165MHz output pixel clock, but this core is only good for a maximum of 155MHz output pixel clock. However, one important change is there, and that's the chipset communication fix. Please download the file from our Wiki (test core sfrom September 17th) and install the core using the "flash firmware file" menu item from the drop-down menu.

Please report back if it works as good for you as it does for us - then it's worth putting more effort into meeting timing up to 165MHz pixel clock.

No changes to the Audio engine yet - this issue was much more important to us, and we wanted to release something before the weekend, so we hopefully have your results on Monday.

Well, i just did some test on my 1d1 board. With this board i had black screens with some demo's, games and in workbench (< 64 colors) .when cold.

I cant reproduce this any more when the system is still cold :).

Tomorrow i will test longer to see if it stays this way when warmed up. Its now only running 30 minutes (Jezus on Es without any blackscreen!).

I certenly hope so too, also for the TC64v2.

This could bring these machines back to the living room again to play games on the big screen like some (if not most) of us did back in the old days.

At the moment i'm using my a1200 with indi MKIII mostly in the living room to play games, somtimes with the kids, but also with friends from back then :). For this the indi mkIII is realy great!

Besides, its getting harder now to find a decent VGA monitor. Cant by a decent TV any more with VGA too. It seems to make perfect sence, But afcource, if its possible is a different story..

I just disconnected everything i dont need to give display, so only the Indi connected

Then i have to wait again 6 seconds as it should.

Then i connected device by device and had to wait till i connected the aca1233n

When disconnceted the aca1233n i have to wait, when connected i can instandly turn it on without waiting

Hi,

Today i noticed something with the CA PSU incombination with my amiga 500 plus.

When i switch off, i can switch it on without the 6 seconds delay.

On my a1200 this is not possible.

From a user perspective i dont have any issue working on the machine for hours, so no lockups, or other strange things.

Just want to check if this can happen or maybe i must have a better look at the amiga?

My setup

- Amiga 500 plus (removed batery, no visible damage near the battery)

- 1 MB chipram expantion

- ACA500+, one 32 gb CF

- ACA1233n@40Mhz with mmu no ide speeder

- RTC connected to ACA1233

- Indivision ECS v2

Best regards,

Marco

I just noticed something else on my 1d1 board while just playing around a bit.

When the computer is still 'cold' i can get a blackscreen when a big screen change is happening in 4 color mode, cant reproduce this in 256 colors. but till now it happens everytime i switch back to 2 bitplanes and the computer is cold.

Used screen mode to fillup the screen with a folder is hires 640x256. This also happens when opening/closing an application (nearly).screen size.

After some warming up time i cant reproduce this anymore, this is at the same point Jesus on Es stops giving black screens.

This seems to be the oposite of my 1d4 board. On this board i can reproduce this when warmed up in 256 color mode, but till now not in screenmodes with 4 bitplanes or less in workbench.

Btw. Today i had the change to try the indy on a 98" 4K display at the office, the image was very nice , but be aware that some demo's can be bit to much on displays like this.;).

I can confirm that this demo does have problems with an ACA1233n-55 here, and I saw black screens and the OSD several times. Also there were interruptions in the sound. Just for the record, when watching this demo on an ACA1233n-55 with native video/audio, it's not free of a plethora of other problems, and it crashes early.

At my place the demo it self runs fine on a 030, but crashes on a stock a1200 after a minute or 10 (the issues start after the text intro when the fast switching of images start, till the crash it looks perfect without accelerator).

I think this difference in crashing on a 030 comes from the whdload version used. Did you run the diskversion? Dont think its llowed to upload the exact whdload version(?) so i will try to find the disk version,, must have it some where.

Hardwired is fixed for faster amigas in the whdload version i have. But the issue is less prominent in this demo and there fore harder to reproduce.

I didnt test the sound over HDMI since i prefer my dedicated amplifier, but i did test DVI mode on/off.

Did you also try the different settings for CCK capacitance and/or pull-up resistor? These are different for different combinations of Alice, Budgie and Lisa. I do see that you've done a lot of hardware swapping, but you didn't continue with these settings, which are much more promising.

Re tried all the settings on my 1d1 board, It seems to help for the 'sparkling pixel' issue in super hires when warmed up, but none of the settings help to get rid of the black screens.

On this board i can only reproduce this with Ruff and Tumble (At coin time, fadein/out) Jezus on es and HardWired when the system is cold.

The Commodore memo is pretty clear that no matter what Budgie revision you have, the capacitors E123C and E125C need to go.

I have removed them and retested with the 1d4 board. It didnt make any difference. The warmer the machine gets, the more black screens in workbench on a 256 color screen when scrolling or opening/closing big screen area's, but also at seemingly random.

So i have put everything back on the 1d1 board. On the 1d1 when cold there are some issues in for example Jezus on es, but not games like Turrican or in workbench, and the black screens seem to disappear when the machine is warmed up complete (including the aca1233n).

My conclusion till now is that the 1d1 gets less issues when warmed up and the 1d4 board gets more issues when warmed up.

I just checked the schematics of the old ACA1233 vs. the ACA1233n, but there is no difference that would explain the different behaviour you're describing. However, I'll send an ACA1233n to Peter, so he has the same setup as you have - let's see if he can reproduce it.

Well, i did some more testing last night on my 1d1 board, maybe this gives some more info. I still have to recheck to see if i can replicate all results again

What i have checked with the demo Jezes on Es wich is garantied to give the most black screens:

- Cold amiga, cold aca1233 : Ok

-Warm amiga cold aca1333 : Ok

-warm amiga, warm aca1233, atleast running 60 minutes : Not ok!

-Cold amiga, cold aca 1233n : Not ok

-Warm amiga (30 minuts+) + cold ACA1233n : not ok

-Warm amiga (30 minuts+) + warm ACA1233n : Ok

-Cold amiga, ACA1233 off with fastram : Ok

-Warm amiga, ACA1233 off with fastram : Ok

But i didnt have any sudden blackscreens in workbech. I could not replicate the issue when scrolling a big window, but this was on my 1d4 board (also no time fix).

At 4:30 i didnt feel like playing "ruff and tumble" for some time :D so didnt test the score count to see if this has improved

So the removal of the resistors did make a big improvement on the 1d1 board.

For the 1d4 board revision, do i need to apply the same fix? (if any extra needs to be done i dont dare to do this myself)

(unless the power supply is not up to the task).

I think we can rule out the PSU, i'm using the CA-PSU. The only PC PSU's i have are in an actual PC where they belong.

So i think its best to test for longer time with the ACA1233. This way i can verify if this is is also true after an hour or 2.

There is another tiny difference, i have an RTC on the 1233n, not on the 1233. So i will check if this gives any difference without RTC.

Just a double check, the 1d4 needs the same timing fix? If so then the next steps can be to test this with this board to, but first without the timing fix, maybe later with timing fix.

Edit :

I just checked my other ACA1233n (@40Mhz with FPU, no IDE speeder), also gives black screens

RTC is ruled out, no diference

Absolutely not, you're right. There is a memo from Commodore published on amiga-wiki that essentially says "remove E123C and E125C for any version of Budgie we have ever made".

Still, 30 minutes of operation may be too short to call it a successful fix. The weekend just started :-)

Well so it seemed... I was testing using my ACA1233@40 (from 2014).

now i have put in my 1233n@40Mhz, no fpu with IDE speeder, and the black screens where instand back.

Tried using without the IDE speeder too.

When using the 1233 it seems ok, but using the 1233n. Afcource i have swapped the acceletors several times to confirm.

I hope there is a fix for this too, i realy like the speeder and the possibility to turn off to play some older games. For now i use the aca1233, dont want to swap the Indi too much. So i jumper will have to do for now to turn of the card when needed..

The first picture in your posting shows that E123C and E125C are installed. Please remove them - they can only cause trouble, no matter what accelerator you are using.

Couldn't ask a hardware engenire at work (were making medical hard/software, too busy at the moment). So i managed to find a tool to remove SMD resistors my self.

The amiga servived, its running now for 30 minutes the demo "Jezus on Es" with no black screens. And this was a garanty on this machine to reproduce black screens.

So the timing fix is not only for accelerators i gues (?).

Till now i didnt have any issue without this fix. No lockups, crashes or what so ever. And since i dont what to fix what doesnt seem to be broken i didnt feel the need to apply it.

Afcource 30 minutes testing is to short, the amiga is hardly warmed up. I wil do some more testing for longer time with everything i have tested before and let you know.

THanks for the detaild report. PHotos fromt he top of your boards don't show anything unusual, so my next question is to take a picture of the bottom of the baords, showing the capacitors E123C and E125C: They are in a group of components that you find under Alice - please take a picture of the whole group. Also, please use more light - ideally sunlight, as this will improve picture quality big time.

Today i got home before sunset for a change.. any how, i hope the images are clear enough.. The are from my rev 1d1 board. Next post wel be from the 1d4 board.

I took one extra foto of alice, the resistor (?not shure in englisch for the name) doesnt seemt e be there from factory.

I have run this board with : ACA1233n @40Mhz and, IDE speeder at the maximum speed and Rapidroad USB ,before the Indi MKIII there was an MKII installed. No crashes or any other issues. Before the new CA-PSU a a500 4.5 amp psu was used.

I also recheckt my findings on the 1d4 board. Results where the same.

Spoke a bit too soon, after posting and changing my WB screen to 256 colors (was in 16 color), i noticed screenblackouts on the workbench again. But only at the workbench.

What i did :

Open a folder full of whdload games, almost full screensize and then grab the slider button to scroll through the folder. At this point i can reproduce it everytime.

But, when i reduce the color depth to 64 colors or less, this doesnt seem to happen as far as i saw till now. Then i turned back to 256 colors, and doing the same, and black screens again. i changed the color depth about then times to double check.

I also tried some demo's again, and no issues so far. but these are OCS/ECS demo's...

So it's a bit different from the rev 1d1 board, this board almost always give this issue.

Also tried this with CCKline pull up and CCLLine capacitance on/of (4 combinations). Will try PCLK another time .. getting too late now .

Used Amiga mode is hires laced. Normal hires gives the same result. After some more time, closing screens gives black screens too and from then on it gets worse when using 7 or 8 bitplanes.

It seems color depth playes a role here, but after turning the machine of for a minute or ten, i can't reproduce till it heated up again.

before i swapped the indi, i made an image.. just in case this would happen.