Posts by bitter

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

Have you tried jumpering to Z2 mode? Did you try the free Aminet version of P96 to see if something broke in any of the recent updates?

Tried the Z2 only jumper, no difference. Old P96 didn't change anything either - Picasso96Mode is not seeing the board...

I tried the original software, but it won’t boot with it installed (I have 3.2.1 ROM and WB), and there are no test programs - just an Info that won’t run. It’s not the SD64 card either, just a basic GD5426-based card.

I have a Piccolo RTG card installed in A3000. It shows up in Boot menu as Z3 board at $40000000 with 2Mb and OK status.

After installation of P96, the monitor driver says "Could not create graphics board content for 'Piccolo', and no board shows up in P96Mode when trying to attach it.

Any ideas what to do?

My suggestion on the SCSI2SD is to use the erase option on ExpertPrep (or just modify the 'disk' geometry in the SCSI2SD tool) - so as to negate any saved RDB info - blank out the initial sectors. Then experiment with the speed setting and other options in the general tab of the SCSI2SD tool. I don't have any gear with me on the trip, but I had to tame the v6 series this way on the latest firmware. I haven't updated my v5's firmware in several months.

One other suggestion, on any flash-media, is to base the Amiga filesystem block size on 4K (4096) instead of the formerly native 512-bytes. I'd actually set that value in the SCSI2SD tool so the Amiga prep tool will default to that. GVP's tool doesn't have that option (yet), but HDToolBox does. This block size / sector size is a general guide for any flash media 'disk' filesystem - it reduces flash media wear.

The only problem with setting block size to 4096 bytes is that you can’t mount it in Winuae - it appears to be hardcoded to 512 bytes. At least I couldn’t find the way…

Stock 3000/25, 8MB Fast / 2MB Chip, KS 3.2.1, with BigRam+ and soon Piccolo II RTG card. I am currently using SCSI2SD v5.2 and getting about 1.0MB/s trying different cards. It's also a pain to move data between PC and the 3000, I'm really spoiled by the ACA500+ I also have.

2 questions:

- Will I see a meaningful increase in speed in a stock 3000?

- Are there any issues with booting, or this being a Z2 card on a Z3 bus with BigRam+?

Great comparison. Bit of a difference with the on-board results too, but to be honest, I thought Z3 memory would be slower in general. The writes are bad, but reads are surprising...

Of course, now I HAVE to find Buster 11... And more ZIP RAM.

It's a curiosity of mine, but if you can, grab bustest off Aminet, and run it against an address somewhere midway on the BigRAM card address space (use SysInfo to ID the board's memory address range, probably starting around $0400.0000). Buster 7 is supposed to be slower than the -9 or -11. for Zorro III activities, but I've never seen test results before I updated the host to Buster -11 on. Its never going to be as fast as motherboard Ramsey memory (which natively gets consumed first).

OK, here we go:

Interesting results

The A3000 does DMA with it's SCSI controller, but with DMA coming from a different side (not Zorro), it may just work. To be honest, I have never tried it, as the oldest Buster I have in a working A3000 is the -9 version. That one works just fine.

OK, I can report that I've seen no issues, stressing the system as well as running memory test.

You could try adding a pull-up resistor of 1k ohms between the reset signal and the 5V rail. This can be put to many places on the board, or even on the ACA500plus itself. Let me know if you need help identifying possible points.

That did it, thanks!

Anyway, the 10µF cap near the NE555 is what you should be looking at; it's the most likely source of the inconvenience.

OK, finally got my A500 apart and replaced the cap (C712). Unfortunately it did not change the behavior. It's not a big deal, but since I have it apart, please let me know if you have any other suggestions I could try. Thanks!

That's known-bad for use on a distant power sink. It only regulates voltage at it's own output, but does not know or care about the voltage drop on the cable, which varies based on the load. I wonder why I have to repeat this over and over again: Do not look at the specs of the chassis, but the complete system you're building. Do you NOW understand why I mentioned that there is no engineering whatsoever if you ignore simple technical facts?

Anyway, the 10µF cap near the NE555 is what you should be looking at; it's the most likely source of the inconvenience.

My apologies, I am just a stupid customer. Can you please cancel my order #111729. Thanks.

Definitely respected as a person, but not as an engineer for power supplies. The unit is not available as 230V unit, so I have a hard time to test it, but if you open it up and snap a picture of the internals, I'm happy to give you some detailed comments, based on the original Commodore specification.

The actual power supply used in the enclosure is a Mean Well PT-65-R17VA, which is rated at 5.5A and 50mV ripple at 5V.

I have also tested my 500+ an ACA500+ with my original 1200 power supply (the 3A version) and it shows the same behavior. Otherwise both are stable with no issues running over several hours and working the board hard.

Please link to the source of that PSU - never seen a proper one with those specs.

It's made by Ray Carlsen, a well-known and respected Commodore resource in the US:

https://portcommodore.com/rcarlsen/customPS.html

It's the $70 one down the page.

That's a known issue with A500 computers that have an ageing timing-capacitor in the NE555 reset circuit. I have a number of those A500s too, and I learned to live with the startup-keyboard-reset requirement. I'm just too lazy to exchange the cap on the A500. Sometimes it helps if you put a 1k pullup resistor on the reset signal, but the root cause is the cap.

Got it!

Sounds like a power supply problem. Again, please mention the exact type of PSU, so I can look at the specs.

I've used this PS with a loaded 1200 with no issues, unfortunately the only other supply I have at the moment is a stock 1200 one, which I keep away from my 500.

I will get my hands on a different PS just to eliminate this as a possibility.

I just received my ACA500Plus, to use on the following setup - PAL Amiga 500+, 1Mb Chip, high-end (5.5A on 5V) new power supply. ACA updated to latest firmware.

Have to say, a very impressive product, so much more than just an accelerator, the WB install is awesome, the profiles work great, etc. With that said, I have two issues, a small one and an annoying one:

#1 - when I first start the machine cold - the ACA display does the spin, then shows 00, then FF, screen goes dark blue, and nothing happens. Now if I reset with Ctrl-A-A, I get the menu, and everything works great. If I use it for a bit, I can turn off power and turn it back on, and the menu shows up.

#2 - the floppy drive, which works perfectly fine without ACA attached (tested over many reboots, with many disks), has a mind of it's own. On one boot, it will read all disks no issues. The very next boot, it might start throwing errors here and there, but a Retry fixes it. Then once in a while, it won't read any disk, until I reboot.

Any ideas?