Posts by @mi9a

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

Hello!

Would it be possible to have configurable per screen mode HDMI signal triggering of the output video device to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 in hardware?

In my set-up everything is as perfect as can be in 4:3 mode, e.g. HighGFX. I notice that for Super Hires Laced 1280 x 1024, in 4:3 the image is naturally compressed horizontally, however if I switch my monitor to 16:9 it suprisingly fits the whole screen "perfectly". Text and window gadget's aspect ratios look "correct" i.e. not squished etc.

Yes, the TV remote control can be used, but a nice to have....

NTSC - I have tried 0, 8 and default 72 in Overscan settings - they give the partial picture with the latest test firmware. Anything else 1..7 either gives black screen or total corruption.

For PAL, default 72 - no problem with DoomAttack. Nemac IV a qualified OK as described in prior posts.

Ok there is a definitive improvement....

NEMAC 4

NTSC - now the image is "viewable". Every 8 ? pixels across there is a vertical bar where the colour is incorrectly decoded.

PAL - "working" i.e. as some artefacts as previousy described.

DoomAttack AIO

NTSC - titlescreen similar "viewable" - similar to NEMAC 4. In game graphics can be made out, but colours all wrong and flickering.

PAL - working.

I will get some screenshots...

My other LG monitor exhibits the same symptoms.. Recap my original post:

"2. Sound starts, slight interruption for about half a second and then resumes with no issues.

or

3. Sound starts after a few seconds sound is lost."

In the latter case, the sound does not return. Now if I had an HDMI splitter and HDMI audio extractor it would show conclusively whether there was audio or not being sent...

My A4000 is an original PAL machine and using the original PAL frequency crystal. I have made some new observations and "progress"

When using the Pre 800x600 Auto Sync Auto Res mode (best quality scanline scaling) on all games that play sound as soon as an intro screen appears e.g. "Indianapolis 500", I notice the music always has missed the first few notes after the screen is visible. Obviously no issue on the analogue side. I'm not sure whether this is related to the problem being discussed...

I believe the issue is not specifically related to Auto Sync/Rec. I tried multiple pre-defined resolutions and discovered that some resolutions exhibit the symptoms while some don't. Unfortunately the quality of a lot of the other resolutions are not suited to my LCD TV and produce a very poor image so I didn't even bother testing the sound. It is also unfortunate the best Auto Sync/Res modes are those affected. I have found some compromised screen quality modes where after extensive testing I can confirm that the sound does not cut-out.

What other information (config file?) do you need to look into this further?

Switched back to the regular LCD TV now.

Chose output EDID 1280x1024@60 for both input Pre 800x600 PAL and Pre 800x436 NTSC.

Turned OFF VSync., AutoRes ON

Unfortunately still the same results...

The fact my LCD TV can report "No HDMI audio" when switching back from Analogue component/audio to HDMI would indicate definitely the HDMI audio stream is interrupted.... :(

I forgot to mention clearly for the games it is standard PAL and NTSC displays being converted to the Pre 800x600 Auto+VSync

I just switched to a LG 4K monitor but have not changed any of the config. settings or re-read the monitor EDID apart from finding out that 96 and also 88kHz audio input works. By not changing the config the Pre 800x600 Auto+VSync display is squashed vertically due to the timings not being correct.

With the 4K monitor, I do hear that there is sometimes audio distortion, i.e. faint "popping" like the sound dropping out and cutting in very quickly.
    However with this monitor I have yet to experience the no sound or sudden sound cut-off. Could the no sound/cut-off problem be VSync related? For example, audio extraction losing sync with the video?

In case anyone is wondering the Panasonic TV HD Ready 720p yields superior "scanline" image compared to the 4K LG when used with IDV3.

Yes definitely using original accessories. I have swapped HDMI cable and also used a different input on the LCD TV display. The image is super steady which is why I did not previously try swapping cables. Unfortunately I encountered symptoms 2 and 3 above.

I am hoping this is a firmware issue and not faulty hardware due to the prohibitively high shipping prices.

I will next try another monitor and see if it can accept something other only 96kHz audio input.

I would like to report that HDMI audio output from my IDV3 is unreliable i.e. intermittent on my A4000 system. However frequent enough for me to raise this issue.

Workbench running in HighGFX 1024x768
    IDV outputing in Pre 1024 X 768 70Hz VESA

More often then not the problem is like this after starting any WHDLoad'ed game at random with a screen resolution change...

1. Sound works fine.
    or
    2. Sound starts, slight interruption for about half a second and then resumes with no issues.
    or
    3. Sound starts after a few seconds sound is lost. I disconnected and reconnected the HDMI cable just in case it is the TV losing sync...

or

4. No sound - switching to analogue sound on my LCD TV shows sound working at the native hardware level.

I am using a low-end standard Panasonic HD-Ready 720p LCD TV, it needs the HDMI mode in IndivisionAGAmk3 config to be set to 96kHz audio.

The following scenario was also reproduced on my system several times at different times.

1. Start Audio Engineer Plus 1.0

- Screen mode defaults to regular PAL High Res.

- IDV switches to Pre 800x600 Auto+VSync.

2. Load sample.

3. Play sample.

4. NO HDMI audio output..

5. Switch to Component Video and Analog Audio.

6. AUDIO output normal.

7. Switch back to HDMI.

8. TV displays message showing "No HDMI audio"

Inexplicably at this moment it is working...

Please advise...

I have updated firmware and unfortunately there is no change.

After doing some research I believe I have found something which hints at a potential root cause...

From NEMAC IV documentation,

"GRA-WINLEFT <x> is the only one command for Graffiti. This hardware may possibly need another screen position in horizontal direction. Our prototype needed often another value than it is written in the documentation"

My install config defaulted to a value of 2, I changed GRA-WINLEFT to 0 and Grafitti PAL:High Res mode works in PAL. However, it is only partially functional. For 1x1, 1x2 and 2x2 pixel mode it works most of the time. Sometimes there is a flashing orange horizontal line at the top and bottom of the screen. Other times changing menus leads to corruption i.e. colour decoded incorrectly or screen graphics flashing etc. 2x1 mode immediately leads to graphical corruption. It can be described as "vertical interlace", i.e. alternate vertical lines of corrupted graphics and correctly decoded graphics. A value of 8 also works with the same side effects.

If Icomp has not tested with other software, but purely on with the Grafitti demo test/dev disk that may be an aggravating issue. In otherwords IDV3 meets the official specifications, but on a practical term other third party software does not (due to having to cope with variance in the original hardware?) and thus IDV3 has it problems decoding the colour?

Perhaps there is a need for some kind of extended "live mode" functionality e.g. key presses to allow the position where the IDV3 starts decoding the Grafitti colour information to be found?

Grafitti NTSC remains a failure on my system.

The HDMI audio problems I mentioned at the start I will start a separate thread of discussion.

I am using the same disk. So the current situation for my 4000D is:

Official demo disk - picture and demo's all work in PAL mode. There is no NTSC picture file or demo.

Nemac IV - commercial game NTSC and PAL both not working.

DoomAttack-AIO - PAL working. NTSC - not working.

Any suggestion as to the next step? There isn't much other software. I also have not managed to get Shapeshifter working with Graffiti EVD.

Ok, I have now tried with NEMAC4 as it was a commercial release as opposed to the Amiga community ports of Doom. Unfortunately the results are worse, undecoded colour with PAL or NTSC Graffiti modes.

I would like to know what software do you use to test Graffiti functionality?

My setup:

4000D Rev. B / KS 3.1 / OS 3.9 / 040 MMU+FPU / 2M Chip / 16M Fast.

Hello icomp support!

Brand new card received and everything appears to be working out of the box except the following issues:

(i.) HDMI audio - sometimes no sound when starting a WHDload game. Reloading the game once or twice can fix the problem.

(ii.) Grafitti NTSC mode is not working?

When "DoomAttack AIO" is configured to use the Graffiti NTSC mode with the Graffiti C2P, the display shows the raw undecoded graphics. The IDV on-screen-overlay does show Graffiti mode detected. I note that changing the Workbench Overscan preferences can affect the degree of corruption. I note the following website saying it needs to be aligned to pixel boundaries divisible by 8 e.g. 0, 8, 16 etc. I have not been able to find a setting that works.

http://cd.textfiles.com/amigam…tersoft/orig/graffiti.htm

If configured to use Graffiti PAL mode, it works.

If I use the official Graffiti test viewer to view the test image, it does open the image of the cat in a PAL screenmode.

Is this a DoomAttack software issue or IDV firmware issue?

I do hope the NTSC issue can be resolved due to the higher framerate performance.

Thanks!