Posts by cathers

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

Hi Jens,

I thought I would report back and say that you were spot on with your data line comment. It was a broken D4 track under the CPU socket. One bodge wire later and it is all working fine.

Thanks for your help with this.

cathers

Hi Jens,

I removed the resistor of shame and checked it to find it was actually OK and not blown or burned out at all. It may have been a bad solder joint so I have resoldered it again and it appears to be making a good contact now. I still have the same issue though and cannot get the machine to boot from the DOM. The drives still HDTools and it stills hows the slightly mangled device names. I can send you pictures if you think it might help diagnose the problem. HDTools reports that the DOM has a size of 0K. Is that what it should report?

cathers

Hi Jens,

Your response prompted me to look again at the screenshots I took and what I see is that the manufacturers' names appear correctly but some of the actual device names are garbled. Consequently I checked the 'resistor of shame' and there is no continuity which suggests it has failed. I don't have any 22R resistors at the moment and so have ordered some and will replace the failed one when they arrive. It will be a few days though before I will be able to do that though. I am almost certain that I never installed the card the wrong way around in the Checkmate case but the resistor must have failed for a reason. I'll let you know how I get on when the resistor has been changed. Thanks for your continued help.

cathers

Hi Jens,

I booted up with an Install disk and added the tooltype to HDToolbox. It recognised the card and two devices attached to the card. I was able to go into the part where you define a new drive type and read the configurations. It appears to be reading them correctly because it returned the name of the Seagate drive I had attached in address 0 and address 2 returned details for the DOM. I have screenshots if you want to take a look.

cathers

The jumper is present and closed. I never actually removed the jumper because I wasn't using that port so all I did was reinsert the DOM before putting it into the A2000.

I'll try using the install disk and HDToolbox as you suggest but it'll take me a couple of days probably before I can do that. I'll report back on the outcome.

The CD-ROM drive worked correctly in the Checkmate case. I was ultra careful in making sure that I plugged the card in the correct way round.

Hi Jens,

Thank you for continuing to support the Amiga.

I have installed a 20th Anniversary Buddha in my recently acquired A2000 but it will not boot from the DOM. I acquired the Buddha from yourself last year for use with an A500+ in a Checkmate 1500 Plus case and used it to attach a CD-ROM drive. It worked fine but I didn't use the DOM at all because I was booting from an ACA500Plus. Unfortunately, the setup was impractical and so I removed the CD-ROM drive and Buddha and stored them until I could find another use. Well, that use has arrived but I cannot get the machine to boot from the DOM (in port 2) with and without another IDE device in port 1. The A2000 (Rev 6.2) really is a barebones system and only has 1Meg of chip and no other memory. The previous owner has upgraded the kickstart to 2.04 though and there are no other Zorro cards installed (I don't have any Zorro 2 cards). The machine will boot from floppy but I removed the drives to concentrate on the Buddha only (they will go back in once I can get a HDD working). Without the drives and only a Buddha or Buddha and HDD fitted the machine will eventually just go to the kickstart screen and does not boot from the DOM. I have tried two HDDs with the same thing happening. I can boot a 2.04 WB image on a Gotek and ShowConfig shows the card is present and so does SysInfo. I read numerous forum posts here some of which suggested that flashing the ROM has fixed some non-boot issues so I tried that but still have the same results.

Not really sure what to do next and so would be grateful for any suggestions.

cathers