Posts by ljmarent

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

Okay,

No problem,

I had searched briefly for another mention of this, but not found it, so hopefully it will be easier for the next guy to find two such questions.

I've modded one of my ACE2b's

Added the C9 0603 100nF cap

NOTE to others:
    Using a Hakko PLCC-84 extractor tool, the MOS Agnus chip and fairly new socket required an 'unusual' level of force to extract.
    I've extracted dozens of PLCC-84 chips using this socket specific tool and this was by far harder than extracting chips that have been in sockets for 30 years. Just be aware if you are going to do this yourself, the Agnus chip and iComp selected socket seem to form more than a mechanical bond.

NOTE to iComp:

The ACE2b I modded was hT6Ua for your records aka. cancelling warrantee :)

Hi Jens

I've built up an Amiga 2000 with ZZ9000 RTG and sadly the ZZ doesn't handle NTSC modes very well, some not at all..
    Anyway ...

My quick fix is to switch over to a 2MB PAL Agnus

As luck would have it, I have two of these 318069-10 Agnus chips on hand...
    I also have a few new ACE2b's on hand... but I'd rather not remove the pretty sticker and have leftover NTSC 8375 chips laying around.

So... what I'd like to do is buy an ACE2b with C9 populated and no Agnus chip in the socket.

Can we do something like that ?

I do not in any way blame you for disliking the horribleness that is UPS. Pretty sure I know you IRL and you’re out ‘in the sticks’ UPS can not be a better experience for you, then it is for me being right in the major city. When you add up the total cost and factor in their terrible service it’s hard or impossible to justify.

I paid the big UPS shipping charge and the extra $60 for fees and taxes well ahead of delivery and UPS decided not to deliver.

After they failed to deliver according to the service standard, I contacted them.

First they lied and said the receiver asked them to hold the parcel (I did not).

They they lied and said the parcel was late through customs (but tracking showed it cleared at 3AM)

Then they admitted they just didn't have the resources to deliver and decided to hold the parcel for at least an additional day.

They also held another parcel I had coming from Texas that shipped Monday for overnight, its now two days late.

I do not see the value in UPS service at this price point and the additional fees.

I believe this shipment has exceeded the UPS service standard paid... it should have been two days.. the online tracker said so as well..

I'd like my UPS shipping refunded.

Thank you,

For me...for now...it works

The easiest fix might be to change nothing but the install instructions:

AmigaOS 3.1:

Insert boot disk in first CF slot,

Power on,

Press F7,
    Press F5,

Enjoy

Everyone Else:

Insert boot disk in first CF slot,

Power on,

Press F10,

Press W,W,W,W,W, until "Net Install" appears as Virtual disk

Press Enter

The Network files will unpack,

Your Workbench loads as normal,

There is now a mounted virtual floppy with the "InstallNetwork" label

Open it up and run the install file

Enjoy

I speak only for myself of course,

but I don't mind a few more steps in an install sequence, as long as they are clearly documented

I installed the KS 3.2.1 ROM file to see if this would help.

Power on, F7, F5, it unpacks the files and it still drops me off at the "LoadModule failed return code 10" error

When I got dropped off at the "LoadModule failed return code 10" error

I thought to type 'version'

It is showing:

"Kickstart 40.63, Workbench 47.3"

It seems, that the network install script is auto-picking the built-in KS 3.1 instead of my KS 3.2 (slot 1) or KS 3.2.1 (slot 3) files

Just thought I'd mention this...

I also tried:

Power on, F10, W,W,W,W,W, until "Net Install" appears as Virtual disk, then press Enter

The Network files unpack,

My Workbench loads normally,

There is now a mounted virtual floppy with the "InstallNetwork" label

And the files I need to install manually are there waiting for me.

That makes it easier than downloading the files from my account.

Okay, it sounds like you confirm that the X-Surf-500 installer is NOT compatible with an AmigaOS 3.2 install when using AmigaOS 3.2 KS ROMs, which would be a proper AmigaOS 3.2 install.

And the fix for installing network to an AmigaOS 3.2 system is to install the drivers manually, per the beginning of this thread.

Perhaps later the AmigaOS devs will investigate and make changes, but that is outside the scope of the individual iComp customer or iComp itself. We just make the computers work and last as best we can.

All is good.

oh, just got the 3.2.1 KS update message, I will try that.

We need a new emoji

{nods head in agreement, but lacks a concrete idea of what is really wanted}

screenshot of "flash config"

Okay...I'm guessing you mean this:

As I searched here:

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/ACA500plus

For the term 'Flash Config' and got no matches.

So, I've sent you my best guess at what a flash config might be in the context of an ACA500plus.

screenshot of "main profile"

Okay...I'm guessing again, perhaps you mean this:

As I searched here:

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/ACA500plus

For the term 'Main Profile' and got no matches.

Once again, I'm sending you my best guess within the context of an ACA500plus.

Extras:

Since I'm doing a lot of guessing in this response, I'm sending some extra stuff that could be what you want to see.

Ohh..
    Interesting find...

If I power on..

The ACA500plus menu launches

I press F7 then ESC

then hit enter

My computer fails to boot and I get that LoadModule failed return code 10

If I shut the power off...

Then power back on

The ACA500plus menu launches

then hit enter as I so often do

My computer boots as normal

The failure to boot OS3.2 in my case only requires having entered the F7 Installer menu

not selecting any feature, just entering that menu... changes something... and the computer can no longer boot to WorkBench

Okay,

I downloaded the Network Update ADF from here:
    http://wiki.icomp.de/w/images/f/f5/UPD500P_netinstall.zip

Popped it onto my DOS formatted CF, powered on, selected Flash Update from the menu, placed my CF card in AUX port when prompted

Update completed without error:

Rebooted, F7, F5, Enter

The ACA500plus starts unpacking some files

And then lands me back here, same as before.

So, once it finishes unpacking those files, it just starts booting my OS install

If anyone else runs into this...

Head on over to the 'store' side of the website, log in as you...

Look at your past purchases

There should be a link where you can download your AmiTCP install software.

Once I had the software, it installed fine, I did add the SYS:Workbench to my path, after spotting that this was useful a couple threads over.

"Mount iComp" worked straight away

And then I popped in AmiSSL and iBrowse

And they just worked, no tinkering needed...

The only problem I had with this new toy is the bit that's meant to be clever and supply AmiTCP auto-magically ... yeah it's not so clever with OS3.2
    Oh and not knowing that I needed to look in my account history to get access to the install files... that was non-intuitive...

But, a couple more hours of staring at the problem, cursing it, maybe some worse stuff... and I finally figured it out.

My Miggy's on the information super highway, blowing smoke, four-ways a flash'n, traffic backed up for miles and smile on my face :D

I'm running OS3.2 and I can't seem to get the ACA500+ network installer to ... install

I'm not running a fancy OS config, pretty well stock startup-sequence.

I saw another persons startup-sequence a few messages back, exact same.

Proof of Life:

Boots, run, plays games... Does what Amiga's do...

I received my X-Surf 500 in the mail, popped it onto the ACA500+

Flipped the power on, pressed F7, then F5

Hit enter, and it starts unpacking what I can only assume are the drivers I need :)

Great!

And then I get dropped off here

I don't know where here is, but it's a lot like a computer with a NIC and no drivers :)

Per the other message, where the guy showed his whole Startup-Sequence:

---

; $VER: Startup-Sequence_HardDrive 47.14 (7.3.2021)

; Startup-Sequence for hard drive systems

Version exec.library version 47 >NIL:

If Warn

LoadModule L:System-Startup ROMUPDATE

EndIf

SetPatch >NIL:

---

Mines exactly the same...

Jens said "Next steps: Check file L:System-Startup for anything unusual, check if the assign for L: is pointing to the right place."

I just:

---
    ; $VER: Startup-Sequence_HardDrive 47.14 (7.3.2021)

; Startup-Sequence for hard drive systems

Version exec.library version 47 >NIL:

;If Warn

;LoadModule L:System-Startup ROMUPDATE

;EndIf

SetPatch >NIL:

---

As I have no idea what that "if" and "LoadModule" does, I thought... let's skip it.

Reboot, computer boots OS3.2 without that line, so it can't be all that critical...

Reboot again, I go back and try to network install F7, F5, Enter, and now I get this error

And I thought.. well... what would Jens say about this error ?
    So I commented out the lines that use MakeLink, they didn't look all that important either :)

---

;If EXISTS ENVARC:

;MakeLink RAM:ENV to ENVARC: FORCE

;Else

MakeDir RAM:ENV

;Endif

MakeDir RAM:T RAM:Clipboards

---

Reboot, computer still boots OS3.2, I think I lost some environment variables because my video mode changed, but that's fine.

and I spotted another MakeLink near the end and commented it out too

---

;MakeLink RAM:Disk.info TO ENVARC:Sys/def_RAM.info SOFT

---

Reboot, computer still boots OS3.2, same as before

Reboot again, I go back and try to network install F7, F5, Enter, and now I get this error

And right here is where I give up on self help...

While the inclusion of the "Tour of AmigaDOS Errors" is an amazing added bonus feature of the X-Surf 500 product, I'm kinda hoping there is a skip button..
    I'd love to get busy messing up my home network, frankly figuring out the Amiga's IP address was supposed to be the hard part :)

Thank you,

Can't we just Interac e-transfer via email ?

I mean that's what we do between us Amiga users here..

Yes, iComp staff would have to open an email to deposit the money in the bank, but then there are no disputes that automatically claw the funds back..

Defeating automatic clawback is going to get harder and harder going forward as consumer protection ramps up.

Just swapped the specified 74AHCT245's for 74LS245 and 74ALS245 as shown in A2000 Rev6 Schematic...
    Buddha card now sees my CF cards...

I'll send Floppie209 a note about my findings..

And if you see any other Floppie209 A2000 users trying to use Buddha, this thread might be helpful :)

Thank you much,

Les