Posts by Orionis5

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

Hello Jens,

I know about PSU issues and I have PSU from you (C64 external box). I see you mentioned he does not use proper PSU but this days where can he get proper one ? I would be also interested in spare one.

BR, Luka

If this would be a high-volume product, it sure would be the way to design it. However, we're in a low volume market, so I have to live with the cases that we have access to: You may have noticed that this is a C64 cartridge case, slightly modified to do the job.

I'll keep this in mind for the day that we get a "go" for new 12V/5A power bricks.

I will buy 3 such "new 12V/5A power bricks" in an instant.

No comment.

The buffered interface (at least ours) is transparent to the software. If your installation procedure works without IDE speeder and with your unbuffered interface, it will also work with our buffered CF card interface.

Hello Jens, thank you for answer and this is actually I wanted to know. I am not expert and do not understand this passive buffer technology and how it helps data transfer without tandem with software drivers. Anyway good to know that it was logical to expect it to work under same conditions and settings as without it. One last question on this buffered interface from you. Does revisions(also timing fix or not) of Amiga boards or revisions of gayle chip affect proper function of buffered interface or is this irrelevant ? Before I buy and test by myself.

Do you plan to make buffered all in one with CF interface for "legacy" fitted amigas that will use space where initial 2.5 disks were (cradle) ? I think it would sell since some people only look to fit CF instead of old drives and usual CF interfaces today are bad.

Hello Jens,

thank you for response. Actually I over complicated the post.

Actually my PA-CF18h CF interface works without problems on its own. Problem arose when I wanted to test IDE speeder on ACA cards and for that sake I wanted to get buffered interface to go between IDE connector and my PA-CF18h just in case. I looked at yours but I would have to remove the upper shield on Amiga. Therefore I bought buffered one designed by Matthias Münch and connected it between IDE and my PA-CF18h. This combination does not work for me, at least not on default and I am missing something. If I use same default procedure of creating partitions with hdtoolbox my system hangs. It finds CF fine and actually creates default two SHD0 and SHD1 partitions but nothing more. Actually hangs on every time accessing this partitions or tryin to change them.

Bottom line is that I thought by adding buffered interface will be better for data and not worse and main question is if I am missing something here. If I buy your interface will it work properly and can I use normal default procedure when preparing the drive with default FFS file system or do you use completely different file system with buffered interfaces ?

I actually never used buffered IDE interface on Amiga 1200 and never had any errors but I got in to hype to get one especially to try IDE speeder with ACA card (I have two but never tried speeder).

I wanted to buy Individual one but problems is that I have fully shielded Amiga 1200 and it can not install without serious problem and I did next thing.

I bought 2,5" Buffered IDE interface Type A from Amiga store thinking to have better and more reliable connection to CF drive but it is a nightmare.
    I use Amiga 1200 1D1 3.14 with PA-CF18H CF interface and SunDisk CF card. I actually find this PA-CF18H interface one of better ones I had. It works with multiple CF cards I have and never had problems.
    Now problems I have when I connect new buffered IDE interface in between:
    - it detects CF card properly
    - it auto partitions two partitions by default...
    ...but that is it - I can not change anymore and I can not access this two partitions to format or anything else. Everytime Amiga tries to access them it hangups, same happens when I try to repartition the drive and save changes to disk - it hangups. I tried to clean the CF card again on PC and back but same result, also different cable... I simply can not work with IDE buffered interface that is advertised as giving more reliable connection. I actually find that most of my CF cards (SunDisk larger ones and Transcend do not even work on detection with IDE buffered).

Anyway will that problem be solved with Individual buffered IDE (if I remove the upper shield) or am I missing something on buffered interfaces and is actual buffered IDE useless for my setup using only one CF card ? NOTE: I tested this on Individual PSU(my best one to have reliable setup) to exclude any power problems.

I read on the net about new edge connectors on newer cards are much more thick and you need to open the Amiga, unscrew it to get the card installed.

I like to swap the cards and opening the Amiga to do that is not practical. I can not get info if this is a general problem or only for users without shield installed.

Is this applicable to ACA cards if you try to install it to original Amiga 1200 with shields installed ?

Any updates on this matter ?

Is this 3.1.4 but also causing problems on Amiga 1200 ?

Is Cloanto's 3.x "upated 3.1 kickstart" also causing this ?

Thanks and BR, Luka

I must say that I am impressed by your activity on forum, to answer on our questions.

I ordered CA-PSU today due to 4 reasons:

- Overall knowledge, passion to build a PSU even better then commodore one and standing by it

- Support and responsiveness

- To support overall Amiga scene of which you are an important part of

- To motivate you to finally release 68060 accelerator, my dream CPU I never owned:P

The reason I started this thread was due to being surprised PSU is so vital also on Amiga and having some boot problems on rebuilding them after 9 years of no Amiga usage. I have made "an Amiga" PSU years ago from PC 486 AT PSU and actually never had any problems or chrashes even with Apollo 1240. I know I connected Amiga GND to PC PSU GNG(Black wires) and Amiga Shield to PC PSU case (which is grounded by earth wire). So I was surprised amiga shop PSU has Amiga GND connected to Earth wire(at least I could not detect and resistance).

Do not use this old PC AT PSU anymore but original one or borrowed amiga shop one.

Hello Jens,

That is the weird part. I have original Commodore Amiga 1200 PSU and when I check connections I see no resistance between Earth wire (on 240V connector) and GND and Shield wires (On Amiga connector side), like they are all connected. Is this normal on original commodore?

I checked friend's PSU from Amiga shop (A-Power I think) and weird also. GND wire (Amiga connector side) is directly connected(no resistance) to Earth wire (240 V connector), while Shield has resistance between Shield wire (Amiga connector side) and Earth wire (240 V connector). I expected other way around., that shield is for Earth wiring to "House Earth".

And your PSU has no connection to real Earth wire (on 240V connector). Was that intentional, since latest computers all are connected to earth home wiring ?

Hello Jens,

I am looking at your CA-PSU and wonder why have you decided to exclude connection to regular ground(earth) ? I am not an expert, just old fashion guy, that is more use to having computer connected to house earth wire.

Also I have original Amiga 1200 PSU and got weird reading on Ground and Shield. I expected only one of them to have zero resistance between earth wire and them. I would expect zero resistance between shield and earth wire on 240V side ? Both show zero resistance to earth wire. Is this normal or is CAP out of order ?

Amiga boots and works on this original PSU.

Thanks and BR, Luka