Posts by amimmortal

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.

HI Jens,

I recently acquired a faulty Indivision AGA Mk3 for free on Amibay - it had a faulty video signal with lines/ interference, and an intermittent grey screen. On inspection, I noticed that one corner of the socket was cracked. The hope was that, with replacement socket, I may be able to get it to work.

With the help of a friend of mine, we replaced the socket, and made the necessary adjustments to it so it would fit securely over the chip on the motherboard.

Unfortunately, as we clearly weren't paying attention, we soldered the socket to the wrong side of the board :(.

Not realising our error until it was too late, we connected the Indivision to the motherboard, powered on, and of course there was no signal at all (the Amiga was actually unresponsive with it attached in this way).

So we disconnected, realised our error, then removed and replaced the socket to the correct side of the board and tried again. Unfortunately, we appear to have "bricked" the board, although with it connected the Amiga came back to life (so no damage done, thankfully).

In your expert opinion, have we effectively killed the board, or is there a chance it is repairable? I'm guessing it's dead, but thought I would check with you just in case!

Many thanks in advance,

AndrewC

Update:

The first thing I did was reset the Indivision back to default settings and reinstalled the files.

I then cleaned the contacts on the Lisa chip and the Indivision socket with IPA, reinstalled it and disconnected everything else from the motherboard (I have a Bifrost Heimdall edition installed which remained connected).

For all intents and purposes it was configured as a stock Amiga 1200.

I also disconnected audio cables - only the mouse was connected.

I restarted and it booted to the kickstart screen. I loaded a game from floppy and within a few moments the green stripes appeared and the display blanked.

It then occurred to me that I still had the DVI output going via the HDMI switch, so I used a DVI cable directly from the Amiga Indivision output to the Dell monitor.

Needless to say, it appears to be fine now, even after reinstalling all the expansions.

In future, I will start with the most obvious/ likely cause and work back from there.

If the issue returns, I'll update this thread, but for now, sincere apologies for the wild goose chase!

Thanks,

AndrewC

OK.

I have a known good A1200 PSU, which has been refurbished. I will remove all peripherals and connect the stock A1200 with the Indivision in situ. The Indivision will be connected directly to my Dell monitor, rather than via the HDMI splitter, and the monitor will be connected to a separate wall mains socket. No audio equipment will be connected.

Would this satisfy the testing requirements? So, if the issues persist with that setup, can we safely assume an issue with the Indivision?

As an aside, it's not like the Indivision is under any kind of warranty - it's 6 years old. If anything I would probably just upgrade to a Mk3...

Thanks,

AndrewC

HI Jens,

Is the fact the Rastport is unbuffered relevant in this context? I can't see how that would interact here.

What I would say is that I have output the display simultaneously via the composite output to a Samsung TV and the indivision to a separate monitor, and whilst the indivision output is dropping 2 to 3 times a minute (always preceded by green lines and interference), the comp output is rock solid. That being the case, if no video artefacts or dropouts are present in the composite output, would the indivision not be the common denominator?

I still plan to remove all peripherals (SD adapter, TF1260, Solas etc) and test with the meanwell supply to rule out a) power issues, and b) interactions with the other peripherals.

However, if, after carefully cleaning the contacts (as I have been advised to do by other owners of the Mk2cr) and running the A1200 in "stock" mode via the meanwell supply, the issues persist, I think it would be reasonable to assume that the indivision is causing the issue...

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

AndrewC

Hi Jens, apologies for the delay responding.

I am running Amiga OS 3.2.1 on physical 3.2 ROMs, on a 1d4 motherboard, which was recapped and refurbished in 2017. I have a Rastport KA60 with SD card adapter, with a 32Gb Sandisk MicroSD card connected to the onboard IDE. A TF1260 with full rev.6 060 is installed in the expansion port, with an angled CF to IDE adapter installed on the TF1260 IDE header, with a further 8Gb Sandisk SD card installed (used for a MacOS partition in Shapeshifter).

The Indivision Mk2cr is connected and routed via DVI cable to the rear expansion port, and is connected to a Samsung monitor via an HDMI switch (shared with my PC and work laptop), outputting at 1024x768 in 32 colours, with 1.5Mb free chip memory on bootup. Lastly, I have a Solas board installed on the onboard clockport, which runs a fan and temperature sensor for the indivision (temp sensor reads 33-35 degrees celsius in normal operation), plus a temperature sensor for the TF1260 core and surface temperature, as well as an environment module (providing ambient temperature, pressure and humidity). A real time clock module is connected to one of the free clockports on the Solas. An LED strip is also installed on the Solas.

Audio is routed via a Datel Midimaster (in the serial port) to a Yamaha TG-100 midi module. RCA L/R audio output is also mixed via this unit, and audio output is fed into a Logitech desktop speaker system.

The whole setup is powered by an A500+ power supply (I figured the A1200 unit would fall a bit short on supplying all the necessary power). In the last few weeks I've streamed to Twitch with no issues over several hours of gaming each time: see below:

https://youtu.be/y2avVpwPGAY

https://youtu.be/8GdXDjuyXV8

The issue only manifested in the past week (basically just before I raised this ticket).

You mention odd behaviour being caused by all kinds of things, but I would note that nothing has changed with this setup in the time prior to the issue starting and now, and it had been happily running this way for the past year (since installing the TF1260 and Solas board).

I'm also advised by other Indivision users that this is not uncommon, and may have something to do with the connection on the Lisa chip. With that in mind, I will be taking the unit off and cleaning all the contacts with IPA to see if that helps. I will also be testing the system with a Meanwell power supply to rule out power issues.

It may just be that the unit has reached a point in its lifetime where it naturally begins to fail?

As an aside, as I've been writing this, I switched on the Amiga from cold. On bootup there were a lot of green interference lines, and the screen blanked several times in the first few minutes of operation, and consistently since then. I doubt therefore that temperature is an issue. Speaking of which, after 30 minutes of idle operation at 1024x768x32 colours, the Indivision temperature sensor is now reading 33.5 degrees celsius.

Thanks in advance,

AndrewC

Hi Jens,

I'm having a bit of an issue with the indivision and wanted to check it wasn't signs of impending failure.

As you can see in the video link below, I am seeing intermittent green lines/ artefacts on the screen, usually followed by a blank screen before briefly coming back to life. This happens after a brief period of operation or after longer periods of usage.

Indivision Mk2 Cr Issues - YouTube

I took a video of the screen rather than using a capture card so you can see the issue on screen. This happens in workbench (HighGFX 1024x768) and PAL screenmodes (i.e. games).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

AndrewC

Actually, would these issues be resolved if I upgraded to the Indivision Mk3?

I had intended to get one, but with Brexit complications I had assumed you weren't shipping to the UK, although I see that this has since resumed for orders over a certain amount.

Thanks,

AndrewC

Hi,

So the card is able to capture 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080p signals. My understanding is that the Indivision can output in each of these resolutions, so I still struggle to understand why it doesn't work.

Would a separate scaler between the Indivision and the capture device solve the issue?

Thanks,

AndrewC

Hi there - progress!

I'm getting the attached, which is a big improvement on a black screen, but as you can see it's not quite right. The picturekeeps refreshing and the picture is split weirdly.

I feel like it's just the odd tweak needed here and there - so close!

This is using the 720p settings you showed above by the way.

Cheers,

AndrewC

Thanks Jens,

I managed to get my settings sorted by plugging into a different monitor that could handle the frequency and then set it back to 60Hz.

I run Workbench in 1024x768 HIGHFX Super-High Res Laced. Current Indivision settings are as follows:

Amiga Mode: HighGFX interlace

VGA Mode: 1024x768 60Hz

Clock: 65.158

H-Freq: 48.48

V-Freq: 60.148

Pixles (should that say Pixels?): 1024

Lines: 768

H-Offset: 0

V-Offset: 0

Width: 1024

Height: 768

Double: S-Hires (Lines Off)

Output: VGA & DVI

V-Sync: Off

My PAL settings are as follows:

VGA Mode: 800x600 60Hz

Clock: 39.909

H-freq: 37.792

V-freq: 60.178

Pixles: 800

Lines: 600

H-Offset: 0

V-Offset: 0

Width: 724

Height: 283

Double: Hires (Lines on)

Output: VGA and DVI

V-sync: Off

I'm not sure what you mean by looking for a pixel clock in the mid range. I'm also not sure whether your comment regarding capturing a PAL Super-High Res workbench has implications for me, based on my HighGFX setup, above.

Sorry for the questions, but I'm not really up to speed on all this!

Thanks,

AndrewC

Thanks Jens, I'll give that a try. Seems odd that you essentially brick the display when testing modes...

Do you have any suggestions regarding my initial query? The settings for the indivision seem incredibly complex.

Thanks,

AndrewC

And... of course, I changed some settings (output frequency) and clicked "test" and it's now no longer displaying anything on my monitor with an out of range warning.

I noticed it writing the cores, which I don't think it should have with the "test" option, but there you go.

So now I have to figure out how to get my display back again :-(