ACA1221ec: ACAControl tells me to contact Icomp for firmware upgrade

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I'm having stability issues with my Amiga 1200: For several days my machine crashes at random. I'm still in the process to narrowing down the cause.

Tonight I've focused on the ACA1221ec and noticed the following error message:

contact Icomp for firmware upgrade (CPU's mask *must* be 0E30G!)

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/siFl754.png]

I've tried to upgrade to the latest firmware as instructed in this post: New ACA1221ec flash software, however the error still shows up.

Here's a SysInfo (4.0) screenshot:

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/p8QwdZW.png]

My specs:

Amiga 1200 REV 1D4 (Escom)

Amiga OS: 3.1.4 with the matching ROM. (Kickstart 46.143, Workbench 45.194)

Tools: ACA1221V1 2Beta1.lha

The Jumper on the aca1221ec is as instructed on the parking position (on one pin only), but I've also tried RomMapping.

There's also a Gayle Reset Fix, Indivision AGA MK2 and an RTC module installed.

Board seems to be good, E123C, E125C, E121C and E122C got no capacitors. I made high-res images of both sides of the mainboard, so I can report on more caps.

• The tools properly see that it's an ACA1221ec, yet they still output text that ONLY applies to the ACA1221, which is not what you have. This is either a bug of the software, or it's a mix of software that you have installed on your computer. In any case, the CPU mask 0E30G that is listed is for the "full" 68020 CPU, but the ACA1221ec uses the 68ec020 processor. In fact, the firmware upgrade for the ACA1221 was actually made during development of the ACA1221ec, so your ACA1221ec already has the latest code in the CPLDs.

In other words: You can safely ignore this message, as it does not apply to your card. You might want to check if the latest ACA1233n software fixes this; it was developed on the same basis, and it's attempting to unify all accelerator software in a single archive.

If you are having stability issues, please try the obvious first: Check if your power supply is good, maybe leave the trapdoor open for additional cooling.

Jens

• Hi Jens, thanks for your answer and your time!

I was quite confused about which was the right software for the ACA1221ec, so I compared three packages I considered relevant to get proper versions: ACA1221V1_2Beta1.lha, ACA1233nLib.lha and ACA1221ecV101.lha.

ACA1221.library:

is only found in ACA1221V1_2Beta1.lha

Works properly with ACA1221ec

ACA1221n.library:

is only found in ACA1233nLib.lha

Cannot be used with an ACA1221ec (therefore the ACA1233nLib.lha installer should not be used unless you know how to clean up)

ACAName:

is only found in ACA1221ecV101.lha

Works properly with ACA1221ec

ACAClock:

ACA1221V1_2Beta1.lha contains 1.0 (29.7.15)

ACA1233nLib.lha contains 1.1 (15.1.17)

The latest version (1.1) works properly with ACA1221ec

ACAGov:

ACA1221V1_2Beta1.lha contains 1.0 (28.8.15)

ACA1233nLib.lha contains 1.12 (21.1.17)

The latest version (1.12) works properly with ACA1221ec

ACAMapROM:

ACA1221V1_2Beta1.lha contains version 1.2 (7.5.17)

ACA1233nLib.lha contains version 1.1 (20.1.17)

The latest version (1.2) works properly with ACA1221ec

ACAControl:

is only found in ACA1221V1_2Beta1.lha

Works with ACA1221ec, but contains a few unrelated outputs: Overdrive, Trial, Serial, Version, CPU Clock

ACAInfo:

is only found in ACA1233nLib.lha

Not working. Detects an ACA1233n card

(My apologies to anyone who cannot stand posts with colors hehe)

Stability: I'm still analysing. I'll make a new post if I think I find anything related to the accelerator card. The "Contact support" message was obviously a red herring and manually assembling the right tools from different packages helped a lot!

so your ACA1221ec already has the latest code in the CPLDs

This confuses me. I got my card end of October but the firmware update was released on Nov 8th?

I got one additional question: Because I use a physical 3.1.4 ROM, I don't need to use the MapRom feature. The Wiki states that MapRom speeds up the system dramatically by copying the ROM to RAM. What would be the benefit to set the jumper to parked position?

• This confuses me. I got my card end of October but the firmware update was released on Nov 8th?

That's a different type of firmware: The CPLD code is something you can't update yourself. The update that was published earlier this month is a software update that's stored in flash memory of the card. So yes, these terms are kind of confusing; the output you got from the tools is referring to CPLD code, which has been newly developed for the ACA1221 when the ACA1221ec was under development.

I got one additional question: Because I use a physical 3.1.4 ROM, I don't need to use the MapRom feature. The Wiki states that MapRom speeds up the system dramatically by copying the ROM to RAM. What would be the benefit to set the jumper to parked position?

If you have a physical ROM, then you can safely set the jumper to the "MapROM" position. The recommendation of "parking position" is mainly for safety reasons, as we've had quite a few requests from users who were trying to load the kick file. If you have an older physical ROM and have the jumper set to "MapROM", loading a file will fail.

• Thanks for clarifying!

Regarding the stability issues I have: The ACA1221ec or the RTC module is not the cause. I was able to reproduce the problem without any of those components plugged in. Just wanted to share the conclusion.

Have a nice day!

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.