Need to RMA my board under warranty, how do I go about it?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I can't get my C64 reloaded MK2 board to work properly. I replaced all the chips numerous times, but that does not make any difference. It boots with no characters on screen, no basic. My 1541 ultimate II + will work when I use it's buttons and interface, but no input from the keyboard is detected.

I would like to RMA my board, however I can't find any information on how to start the warranty repair process. How do I proceed?

• Are you saying the 1541U will display something when you insert it? That means the CPU, the memory, the PLA, the clock, the VICII is all working. Probably unlikely the board is at fault then :)

Are you sure you inserted all ICs the right way around? And are you sure they do all work? the CIAs in particular...

• Every board that leaves here has passed a full functional test with a real chipset - not a half-baked quick test, but a full test that starts the computer, requires keyboard input, load a program from floppy, use the expansion port and play back audio.

Please double-check if you're using the sockets the correct way: Before you insert a chip, you move the lever up. After inserting the chip, you push the lever down. Some people reverse the lever position, and that makes bad contact in most cases.

If a chip has oxidized pins, it may still make bad contact. To ensure that it has good contact, try to move it sideways in the socket with the lever closed. This will scratch off oxide layers and make proper contact.

If that doesn't help, there's more diagnostics that you can do through the remote control menu. Did you wire that up yet?

• Hi Jens,

I have owned the mk2 reloaded since late June last year, and only have problems been creeping up over the past 1.5 months. I have all the ICs installed correctly. I always install the notch facing the lever, and I only install the IC while the lever is in th UP (open) positon. the D64 light on the board is solid green colour. Nevertheless, I tried again swapping different CIAs/VIC/SID/CPU and I tried moving them from side to side like you suggested. But it made no difference unfortunately. I also tried retinning the legs on the CIA chips, that did not help either.

I have not accessed the board through the remote control menu before. Would you be able to help me with that?

• Sure - just let us know where you get stuck if you work along the instructions in the Wiki.

I have had time this weekend to re-read the wiki and connect the board to my computer. However it won't even come up with the welcome message. when I power on the C64 it shows garbled text (please see attached pictures). I checked, checked and double checked all my settings. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong here.

• Thanks Tobias, I didn't realize it was defaulting back to default settings each time, and that a new instance had to be created with the settings panel open. It is working now.

For some odd reason it was not recognising my VIC chip, I downloaded the firmware from the wiki and re-flashed the board. For good measure I made sure to load default default settings, reinitialize memory and reload ROM images from flash and clear settings in the factory test menu. No other errors were reported in the terminal. This seems to have solved the issues I had been having. BASIC now shows up fine, no random issues with I/O either. I'm not too sure if it was a bug or something in the firmware but I'm very glad it has been resolved!

Thanks Tobias and Jens for your time and support. I really appreciate it

• Hmm it seems I'm still having unresolved issues.

Cheers! :)

All my new old stock VIC 6569R5s keep being not recognized (failing) when installed after hours of use. They are all immediately fitted with retroleums heatsinks. The same happened with a NOS 6510. I got these IC's from a reliable store (polyplay among others). Do you think the C64 MK reloaded MK2 is frying the IC's?

• Capture4 shows the chips properly recognized.

What power supply are you using? Too-low voltage sometimes leads to false chip recognition, but in that case, the C64RMK2 will always choose the "safe" (=lower) voltages, so there's no chance to "fry" the chips.

• Capture4 shows the chips properly recognized.

What power supply are you using? Too-low voltage sometimes leads to false chip recognition, but in that case, the C64RMK2 will always choose the "safe" (=lower) voltages, so there's no chance to "fry" the chips.

I'm using the official power supply I purchased from your icomp. It will boot normally for few seconds then crash. Maybe I should make a video to show? It's almost as if it's frying all my chips every time I replace them.

• Pack it up, send it to the company address :-)

Just to confirm.

Individual Computers Jens Schönfeld GmbH, Im Zemmer 6, 52152 Simmerath, Germany

And do I need to attach any kind of identiying RMA document? Or is the serial number/sticker on the board enough.

Should the Power supply also be included?

• The address is correct (there is only one)-

Include a short note that explains the problem, and a reference to this thread. We can identify the board via the sticker on the board, indeed :) Including the power supply is a good idea, perhaps its just that that is faulty.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.